Who was it that won that bet with the AP Dev?

Because I got in touch with the guy and he's said he'll stick to his word.

Lemme know, I'll pass it along.

Oh thank God. That's me.

e: oh, you should probably tell him that I've moved since then and he should check his inbox here for my new address.

Edited by Cycloneman
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

The dev sorted some games in to groups and he anted a definition for RPG that made sense and didn't contradict the groupings.

Oo! What was the definition that won?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The dev sorted some games in to groups and he anted a definition for RPG that made sense and didn't contradict the groupings.

Sorry, no idea and I can't find the thread. Cycloneman won, you could try asking him.

Sorry, no idea and I can't find the thread. Cycloneman won, you could try asking him.

Ah no worries, was just curious since I've seen debates over what constitutes a rpg before and was curious to see what a Obsidian dev would consider a winning definition. Cheers.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

RPG: A game where a "currency" (skill points/experience points or whatever) is used to gradually increase your character or characters' (all the ones you directly control) power/ability in the game.

This currency can be used to permanently increase the powers/abilities of individual characters, which includes (but is not limited to) all the characters under your direct control.

It is not gained solely by progression through the story.

The currency can be used to increase your human/semihuman character

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Cheers dude, that's a cool definition. Trying to define what an RPG can be pretty hard, especially with all the different perspectives, I kinda subscribe to the belief that it should really be an umbrella term for a wide range of mini-genres (action rpg for games like Diablo, JRPG for, well, JRPGs since they are quite different from other RPGs, etc). I've seen some pretty hairy arguments arise from trying to define some games as RPG or not hehe.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to post your definition for me. :lol:

• 5 months later...
Did you send me your addy? I'm pretty sure the dev's still on SA. I could punt it to him.
I got in contact with him but he wanted to wait for his signed copy or w/e and about a month ago I sent him an email that I didn't care about a signed copy and have gotten no reply since.