Modding Alpha Protocol

Question is, I find that if I use the levelcharts.ini to give myself a ton of AP, the minigames are all very, very difficult and I can't complete them.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any insight on what controls the minigame difficulty? Thanks in advance.

The mini-games' difficulty is based on the number of APs you have. And I think it's not the number of AP you've 'spent', but really the number of AP you 'have'. So if you gave yourself more than enough AP to max out every single skill, you're in for a world of hurt :) !

Someone determined that the minigame difficulty stemmed partly from the amount of AP you've built up, and partly from a couple set factors relative to the level you're in; Saudi Arabia's hacking games are all stupidly easy, but the ones in Taipei can be stupidly hard even with the Integrated Circuitry upgrade and Sabotage maxed out.

Yeah, kinda dumb sometimes, but that's what you get. No matter how great Alpha Protocol is, the fact remains Obsidian could've done a lot better job of testing and QA before it shipped. Ah well, this isn't the place for that discussion.

I'm suffering from this issue too.

Not like it bothers me _that_ much, but it wouldn't hurt to have it work properly.

The fixes mentioned earlier in the thread didn't work :x

Using 2x6950 with Catalyst 11.3.

apgame2011041922232774.jpg

apgame2011041922233118.jpg

apgame2011041922233372.jpg

apgame2011041922235737.jpg

apgame2011041922240451.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've managed to decompress and unpack the upk game files in the CookedPC folder with Gildor's software but that's about it I don't know much about modding if any of you want the links to the site where you can download the decompresser or the unpacker just ask

Edited by pimabread

• 1 month later...

I don't suppose anyone here knows the hex codes for activating the Gamecrazy/Gamestop preorders on the PC disc?

I can see the value is "02" but I can't alter that without it crashing, and maybe someone's done the work for me. Shoot me an e-mail if you've got the answer.

Primay skills can be changed, IIRC, though you are still limited to the default number of skills (ie you can't make every skill a primary one, only three at a time).

You can find the files with the armour stats etc and change them with a hex editor, but I never got the changes to work in game.

• 1 month later...

It should be possible to do that sort of stuff because textures must be loaded dynamically. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stat based things like equipment (but not the ini based properties) is built into/ integrated into the exe, as that would explain the inability to change costs and the like by altering the base files.

yes I've been trying I've found a lot of stuff that was cut from the game it's funny

In most cases much less cut than repurposed. The game went through 3? complete revisions during its development history. Much of that stuff was probably never intended to be used in the final version.

• 4 weeks later...

Already posted about this on the steam boards so I'll just copypaste it from there:

"Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, that after roaming and plowing through thhe "modding" thread at http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php...c=55422&st=195 and the great neat little fixes there are posted and tinkering around them myself I came up with a pretty much best way of implementing "walking" into the keyboard+mouse combo on the PC.

All you have to do is go to ...\Steam\steamapps\common\alpha protocol\APGame\Config , open the DefaultInput.ini file and edit the following lines:

Exchange the first 4 lines just after ";General Bindings" to:

; --- General bindings
+Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+0.2")

and add these lines after ";Player Movement"

+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)

+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)

+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)

+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)

And save it.

This way your Mike will now be able to walk and actually sneak instead of doing his little rearend dance with just holding the LeftAlt key. "

Biggest thanks go to users Spiked and rick of course :)