Modding Alpha Protocol

You can't, left shift is for sprinting. You can use Left ALT, the button in between space and windows key.

Open APInput from my documents(My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\) and copy this in it:

Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")

Then open DefaultInput from the location where your game is installed (Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\) and then copy this in it:

+Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")

And there you go, when you hold the left alt key, Thorton will walk.

Edited by Spiked

Tuxedo is 04, in your save game, so search for Outfit, there are 3 places. First is Override outfit set to 04, next is the standard safehouse hub outfit (the game overwrites if you put the Tux here :sorcerer: ), last is UseOverrideOutfit this should be set to 01, to activate.

It's too bad we can't change the actual safehouse hub outfit to Tux, this means you can't just wear the Tux in between missions, it's on all the time. It might be fun to play through a Tux in every scene. I don't see anyway to change the Stats of the Tux

Tuxedo is 04, in your save game, so search for Outfit, there are 3 places. First is Override outfit set to 04, next is the standard safehouse hub outfit (the game overwrites if you put the Tux here :p ), last is UseOverrideOutfit this should be set to 01, to activate.

It's too bad we can't change the actual safehouse hub outfit to Tux, this means you can't just wear the Tux in between missions, it's on all the time. It might be fun to play through a Tux in every scene. I don't see anyway to change the Stats of the Tux

What did you edit the save game with? Notepad++ just has a bunch of junk characters after the outfit entries, no numbers?

The 'junk' characters will include the number values, as hexadecimal. Many programs will interpret these as funny characters, typically rectangles. I haven't used notepad++ much but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have an interpret as hex/ binary or data inspection tool somewhere- otherwise get something like xvi32 (freeware) which has both raw and interpreted data in split windows, and use that. The uninterpreted junk characters after the variablename are usually a long string of zeroes with the actual variable visible as, well, something which isn't zero roughly in the middle.

If you're not sure what you are doing make sure you have back ups!

I didn't use Notepad ++, have an old version of ultraedit.

I just loaded my save with it to look, you can search and see the 3 instances of Outfit but not sure how to edit these files or what settings to use and at default setting they have the Hex shown as Nul.

First of all, thank you so much everyone (especially MarteenDee), AP is much more fun with all those customizations proposed here!

Now, I've experimented a bit with <AP Program Folder>\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini, and it turns out reducing the "Speed" values in the movement bindings in [APGame.APPlayerInput] to something between 0.2 and 0.4 actually leads to a walking animation.

So by simply copying the four movement lines and replacing the binding and the speed values, you will get to choose if you want to run or walk at any moment. I mean something like this:

+Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward")
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="MoveBackward")
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="StrafeLeft")
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="StrafeRight")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key1>",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key2>",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key3>",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key4>",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+0.2")

I have been experimenting a bit with the ",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False" modifiers, too, hoping to be somehow able to use one of those keys as a walk modifier, but to no avail: I haven't been able to bind two different commands to the same key (with different modifiers).

Also note that changing the APInput.ini in "My Documents" alone doesn't seem to suffice; you need to edit the DefaultInput.ini.

BTW, walking while crouched actually looks like sneaking!

Thanks nizwiz for this. I tried playing around with editing following nizwiz's discovery. I have no idea what I was doing, but I got some interesting (but weird) results:

In <Game installation directory>\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini:

I removed the following after "; Player movement":

+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward")
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="MoveBackward")
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="StrafeLeft")
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="StrafeRight")

And inserted the following:

+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)

As you can see, I made the careless mistake of not putting "1.0" for speeds when Alt=False. But in the game, normal movement (i.e. W, A, S, D with ALT-key off) are slow with walking animation as expected. But movements with ALT-key pressed simultaneously, I got the default movement speed with the normal "jogging" animation.

I couldn't seem to reverse the situation so that pressing the ALT-key with movement keys turns normal jogging animation to walking animation.

Anyway, here's my finding; maybe more experienced people here can work out why the game behaved this way.

You can't, left shift is for sprinting. You can use Left ALT, the button in between space and windows key.

Open APInput from my documents(My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\) and copy this in it:

Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")

Then open DefaultInput from the location where your game is installed (Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\) and then copy this in it:

+Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")

And there you go, when you hold the left alt key, Thorton will walk.

thanks for figuring this out. maybe it's possible to change the line to be able to toggle walking by using the caps lock key?

With MarteenDee's ini I can get anti-aliasing to work with no weird graphical glitches & no dialogue problems, but only "adaptive anti-aliasing" on the ATI control panel. When I activate the normal anti-aliasing it still doesn't work.

I have read this entire thread and searched the forum to no avail, so I humbly ask for your guidance and help! :lol:

Whenever I try to edit the INI files, they get restored to default when I start AP. How can I stop it from doing that? >_<

I read somewhere that you need the crack, but that didn't help.

I have the steam version on win7 and have no other problems with the game.

Hope you can help me, 'cause it's really pissing me off that I can't mod this great game!

• 1 month later...
I have read this entire thread and searched the forum to no avail, so I humbly ask for your guidance and help! :bow:

Whenever I try to edit the INI files, they get restored to default when I start AP. How can I stop it from doing that? :(

Hope you can help me, 'cause it's really pissing me off that I can't mod this great game!

Are the ini files not set to read only? Are you accessing the ini files in your Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config folder? What program are you using to edit them.

Also wanted to thank all of the posters here, especially MartinDee, for making an already great game freaking fantastic to play through. Runs, looks and controls like a dream now. You guys are awesome.

The only thing I didn't completely get was accessing the Unreal model packages. I had hoped to edit Thorton's face to something more sinister for my rogue playthrough, but every time I try to open umodel, it immediately closes. That aside, I didn't see anything verifying that that was actually a viable method of accessing the textures so I might be barking up the wrong tree for that anyway.

I have read this entire thread and searched the forum to no avail, so I humbly ask for your guidance and help! :bow:

Whenever I try to edit the INI files, they get restored to default when I start AP. How can I stop it from doing that? :(

Are the ini files not set to read only? Are you accessing the ini files in your Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config folder? What program are you using to edit them.

Also wanted to thank all of the posters here, especially MartinDee, for making an already great game freaking fantastic to play through. Runs, looks and controls like a dream now. You guys are awesome.

The only thing I didn't completely get was accessing the Unreal model packages. I had hoped to edit Thorton's face to something more sinister for my rogue playthrough, but every time I try to open umodel, it immediately closes. That aside, I didn't see anything verifying that that was actually a viable method of accessing the textures so I might be barking up the wrong tree for that anyway.

Notepad or other text processor.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I could view the models fine. You need to run umodel from a command prompt rather than by double clicking it, easiest way is to install something which will open a command prompt in the correct place via right click context menu ('command prompt here' powertoy on XP, not sure for vista/w7) then type umodel [filename].upk in the command window.

You'll need to put umodel and its dll into every folder you want to view using that method, but it does work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I must say, I really admire the gamers that are taking time out to do this sort of work. Kudos to you people!

The only things (I say only lol) are the animation/enemy hit points//a.i/lack of interactivity (scenery) If those things were fixed then not only would I play it, I'm sure many others would as well. But in the current state its in, that's not gonna happen.

Lets hope Obsidian pick-up the ball! :(

• 1 month later...

I already posted this question on the technical forum, but since this is a modding thread, I guess its worth asking here aswell.

Sorry if this sound kind of "unrelated".

I was interested in replaying the game using my gamepad (logitech rumblepad II, Playstation like), but the lock-picking minigame requires the use of analogic triggers :(

Is it possible to tweak that so it uses the stick instead?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

There's a sale of AP on Steam. I was going to get but then I thought maybe I won't be able to apply fixes like the ones discussed in this thread (like altering .ini files and whatnot). I'm worried that Steam will reverse the changes. Are my fears justified? Or not?

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any luck finding out how the game determines the mini-game difficulty?

I've heard it's tied to total AP you've spent, or how much sabotage you've invested in (which makes no sense). I only ask because the latter seems totally stupid from a game design standpoint (well both do) but that seems how it works.

I say this because on my first game (normal) with recruit and only 2 points in sabotage I was able to hack everything until the very last mission. Even then, I was able to get through them after a try or two.

Now my second play through (normal again), using the veteran profile, I invested heavily into sabotage (though I did not specialize) and half way through the game I'm getting key panels with 12 jumpers and about an 18 second timer, computer terminals with 2-4 alphanumeric sequences and about a ten second timer, and safes with 6 pins and about a 12 second timer. It would be nice to tone this down through tweaking.

Even if you cannot mod it simply, it would be nice to know the exact method the game uses to determine the mini-game difficulty. So I can try to avoid setting myself up with impossible mini-games half way through the game.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Anyone have any luck finding out how the game determines the mini-game difficulty?

OK, After tweaking the defaultlevelchart.ini to give myself a a ton of points at the start of the game and ran some tests. It seems the game changes the difficulty of the mini-games based on the number of AP acquired, not spent. The amount in the sabotage skill makes no difference except the second level (and presumably the second to last) extend the amount time you get to hack. Not sure if the "free" points given to you for the veteran path count toward this or not, as I had tweaked the defaultlevelchart.ini to give me slightly more AP for my second play through, thus invalidating it as a control.

I'm going to start a new game with the default values for defaultlevelchart.ini and go veteran path and see if the mini-games get harder before they did on the recruit path. I'll report here.

Edit: Game difficulty has no effect (that I can tell).

So at this point it would still be great to know if anyone has figured out if you can tweak the starting point and rate at witch the game increases the mini-game difficulty. I'd love a mod/tweak that makes the mini-games harder at the beginning but never takes it to the retardedly hard level.

Thanks,

SearingWind

Edited by SearingWind

I think the general consensus was that those things were controlled by the exe and not subject to easy manipulation, unfortunately. IIRC there are a few things possible to make it easier such as shortening the repeat input time for the keyboard string movement but that was all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this still a project for some people?

And is there a definitive list of tweaks that are tested and guaranteed to make things work better, like less stuttering and glitching and such? I just had to reinstall and I'm doing a Recruit playthrough; forgot how hard it is without all the extra AP you get on the Veteran path.

I've been reading through this thread, there are some awesome tips and .ini tweaks in here, thanks.

Question is, I find that if I use the levelcharts.ini to give myself a ton of AP, the minigames are all very, very difficult and I can't complete them. I've tried editing various settings in apgame.ini (gamedifficulty, scalerate/scalethreshold), but I can't seem to turn the minigame difficulty down. It is really hard to go through the game when every lock pick expires in 5 seconds and you have 6 pins!

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any insight on what controls the minigame difficulty? Thanks in advance.