Modding Alpha Protocol

Yes, this problem really annoys me too. At first I didn't have it, but later on, around my second, or third playhtough it started, and now I have it all the time, whenever a character is in the distance.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'load the whole level and only stream textures' ini tweak?

BTW, the animation tweaks are great, except for the slow walking speed, it makes crouched walk look silly. Is there a way to slow that animation down, perhaps, so that Mike makes less but longer steps, like in splinter cell? Or something? I got used to the animation, but I would mind if it could be changed somehow, to be honest.

Also, one other question: can the camera angles be tweaked, so that its more to the side, and not behind Mike's back, thats so 2005. :D

Edited by Spiked

:lol: Yeah, it looks pretty freaky.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'load the whole level and only stream textures' ini tweak?

I don't think so. I use one of those tweaks to remove stutters but I had this problem on my first runthrough as well (where I hadn't changed the ini).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yes, this problem really annoys me too. At first I didn't have it, but later on, around my second, or third playhtough it started, and now I have it all the time, whenever a character is in the distance.

BTW, the animation tweaks are great, except for the slow walking speed, it makes crouched walk look silly. Is there a way to slow that animation down, perhaps, so that Mike makes less but longer steps, like in splinter cell? Or something? I got used to the animation, but I would mind if it could be changed somehow, to be honest.

Also, one other question: can the camera angles be tweaked, so that its more to the side, and not behind Mike's back, thats so 2005. :D

You can change the values yourself in APGame.ini and find what works best. Make sure you can still outrun Brayko though. lol I believe you can press 'V' to slighty alter the camera to each side.

:lol: Yeah, it looks pretty freaky.

I don't think so. I use one of those tweaks to remove stutters but I had this problem on my first runthrough as well (where I hadn't changed the ini).

It's textures clipping on low-lod models. Might have something to do with really low draw distance. You may try this: open your APEngine.ini and try to alter values to what I'm showing below:

MinTextureDensity=1.0

if that doesn't help, move further down and try these:

SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1

TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_2048=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_128___X_128___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_64____X_64____PS3_64=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_32__PS3_32=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
MaxTranslucencyLayers=20
DisableShaderModel3=False
DisableShadowVolumes=False
DisableHWShadowMaps=False
ShadowBufferResolution=2048
MaxShadowResolution=2048
MinShadowResolution=62
ShadowResolutionScale=1.0

Should help - I haven't yet observed any texture clipping (z-fighting) in my game.

But it might be also some specific graphic card or drivers problem. What GFX guys and what drivers version?

MarteenDee, I decided to register for the sole purpose of thanking you for your config tweaks. Not only does my Alpha Protocol run much better now, but it even looks better! :o

Top notch!

Thank you. I'm happy it's all working for you. Enjoy the game (and the forums).

:)

Edited by MarteenDee

Ok, so this is what I changed in MarteenDee's animation tweaks:

MoveSpeedNormal=220

SprintSpeed=350

I think the rest is the same, and I'm really, really liking how the game feels now. Thorton isn't running like a madman everywhere, and now it seams as if there are animation transitions when walking or sneaking, he doesn't just turn around instantly. I understand some people prefer responsibility from controls, but I like it better this way.

So once again, thats for the tweaks Marteen. o:)

MarteenDee did you have any luck opening/seeing the possibility to edit stuff with the UDK like you said you were going to try early in this thread?

I bet there's custom (fanmade) tools made for other UE3 games. Worth looking into.

Edited by s0meguy

MarteenDee did you have any luck opening/seeing the possibility to edit stuff with the UDK like you said you were going to try early in this thread?

I bet there's custom (fanmade) tools made for other UE3 games. Worth looking into.

I was checking most of them already.

Haven't been fiddling with UDK much since, as I'm quite busy right now in RL.

Problem with licensed UE3 is, that every new game can introduce special "protection" for .upk files which prevents them from opening/unpacking. So, every game build on licensed UE3 is having different header in .upk (you can check it via any hex editor).

I've seen some info on upcoming patch, so there's hope that the most wanted fixes will be applied. For now - try .ini fixes posted in this and other threads. We'll see what we might achieve after the patch...

I'd be interested in modding, too. Especially the modeling section. But as sad as it is I don't believe in dev support for modding in near future. The question was asked several times before the release already and Obsidian clearly stated they don't plan to support modders. If anybody can prove me wrong I'd actually be glad.

Sorry for Off-Topic but I felt obliged to comment.

Hf

MarteenDee, can you help me, please? I want reduce font of subtitles.

In Alpha Protocol\Engine\Localization\INT\Engine.int have string

[ExampleGameMenu]

InlineFontSampleText=These words are small... <Fonts:EngineFonts.LargeFont>these words are big,<Fonts:/> and these words are back to normal.

Example of subtitles in Alpha Protocol\APGame\Localization\INT\B01_P_INTRO_WAV.int

[b01_P_INTRO_19_036 SoundNodeWave]

SpokenText="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."

Subtitles[0]=(Text="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked.")

Comment="NOTES[], TRIGGER[], GLOSSARY[]"

bMature=False

I tried

[b01_P_INTRO_19_036 SoundNodeWave]

SpokenText="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."

Subtitles[0]=(Text=<Fonts:EngineFonts.TinyFont>"Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."<Fonts:/>)

Comment="NOTES[], TRIGGER[], GLOSSARY[]"

bMature=False

But that is no worked. Any ideas?

I wonder if it would be possible to use a similar method for the model swaps in ME2 to get the tux from the Al Bara mission to replace the other clothes models
Oh, that'd be amazing. It should be entirely doable. I have no idea how. But it should be. I can't see why not.

I probably wouldn't use it all the time, but if it could replace my casual clothes, I'd use those for a few key missions.

t50aJUd.jpg

Question, is there a way to mod to lower the AP cost for skills? Instead of having them cost 4 to 6 ap per rank, maybe lowering it to 1 ap per rank.

Mostly want to know for my second+ playthrus. I'd like to spend more time using supercharacters to explore dialog options instead of trying to fight my way thru a stupid computer hack for 15 minutes or so.

:lol: Thanks in advance.

Oggie

@Oggie: Well I don't know if it is possible to mod the game that way but if you've played it once you might have unlocked the veteran mode which gives you an initial stats of i think it was 90 skillpoints anyway. And you might lower difficulty level to get through the game more smoothly. I'm doing it differently... I'm gonna wait for some time and then play the whole game again. Especially since the veteran mode enables you to have a whole different level of skills from the beginning onwards.

First of all, thank you so much everyone (especially MarteenDee), AP is much more fun with all those customizations proposed here!

Now, I've experimented a bit with <AP Program Folder>\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini, and it turns out reducing the "Speed" values in the movement bindings in [APGame.APPlayerInput] to something between 0.2 and 0.4 actually leads to a walking animation.

So by simply copying the four movement lines and replacing the binding and the speed values, you will get to choose if you want to run or walk at any moment. I mean something like this:

+Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0")
+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward")
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="MoveBackward")
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="StrafeLeft")
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="StrafeRight")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key1>",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key2>",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key3>",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="<Key4>",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+0.2")

I have been experimenting a bit with the ",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False" modifiers, too, hoping to be somehow able to use one of those keys as a walk modifier, but to no avail: I haven't been able to bind two different commands to the same key (with different modifiers).

Also note that changing the APInput.ini in "My Documents" alone doesn't seem to suffice; you need to edit the DefaultInput.ini.

BTW, walking while crouched actually looks like sneaking!

Edited by nizwiz

I just tried this out, changed the speed in both ini files to 0.2 and yep, it works. Great find man, thanks a lot. Now I can look cool while sneaking, lol.

I still hope we can find a way to toggle the walking like the sneaking animation. Sprint is a little bit weird, you don't have to hold down W to sprint, Mike starts running as soon as you press shift, so I don't know how they made that, its strange.

After playing around with different key combinations, I think I found the most seamless way of integrating walking into the game. Just set forward walking to LeftAlt, and if you want to move around just turn the mouse instead of using left or right.

Here you go, just copy this in those two files, without the '+' in the APinput.

+Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")

Once again, big thanks to nizwiz, I've been waiting for this since the game came out. Maybe later we will find a more sophisticated way of implementing walking into the game, but this is good enough for me.

Well, I kinda hope Obisidan will beat us to that by including a proper walk modifier/toggle (preferrably both) in the forthcoming patch. Meanwhile, I find that using WASD for normal movement and EZXC for walking works reasonably well (there are occasions when sneaking left and right is actually quite useful, e.g. to keep the opponents in view while moving behind cover).

Yeah, that would be nice.

By the way, I tried mapping walking to numbers above the WASD, 2 for forward, 1 for left, 3 for right, but it didn't register when I loaded the game, it seams like the game can't use those keys.

And, where did you map the gadgets, abilities and ammo, if you use those keys for walking?

edit:

Never mind, you can map ammo and the rest to 1,2,3 from the menu, I just tried it out.

Edited by Spiked

Question, is there a way to mod to lower the AP cost for skills? Instead of having them cost 4 to 6 ap per rank, maybe lowering it to 1 ap per rank.

Mostly want to know for my second+ playthrus. I'd like to spend more time using supercharacters to explore dialog options instead of trying to fight my way thru a stupid computer hack for 15 minutes or so.

:( Thanks in advance.

Oggie

You could give yourself more AP points per level to fit your taste.

Just change the APgained number on the APLevelChart.ini file

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif