Modding Alpha Protocol

I don't think it's too early for community fixes.

Fixes, sure. But working on an entire community patch, only to have it be for none when an official one comes?

Hell - the truth is, I'm having good time playing and tweaking those files - is it only for myself or for some people. I don't really care is it called "Community Patch" or "MarteenDee's ****ty And Useless Tweaks".

It's definitely better to do, than sitting on your a$$, bitching, and waiting for someone who might *eventually* fix it for you...

Heh, power to the modmakers! Nothing wrong with them liking stuff like that, even if most of us would find it boring (although I guess that's a little hycrite from me working on fixes for The Nameless Mod and Knights of the Old Republic II's Content Restore Mod).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I've seen somewhere (I'm not at home), I think in APGame.ini some relative paths which contains a path to a mod directory. I don't think this directory exist in the game at installation, but creating it and puting files in it, respecting the structure, can perhaps allow us to override content.

I don't think there are specific issues with Win7. I play AP on it with an i5 proc and all is fine. I would rather have a check on graphic cards drivers (I have an ATI).

Sadly enough, it doesn't seem the actual dossiers are shipped in the game :(.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Just curious.. is it possible that some settings in the apgame config files are overridden by the default config files?

In my opinion if it is - MyDocuments.. config files would be overwritten (values I mean). AFAIK they're not - even without making them read only. I need some good program for measuring files activity. Anyone knows one? Unfortunately neither debug, console or log aren't working in AP.

Thanks zkylon. I hope this community as a whole is going to inspire devs from Obsidian to continue their work on improving Alpha Protocol. That game deserves proper treatment and continued development (DLCs, add-ons, patches, modding tools and - ultimately a sequel)...

Edited by MarteenDee

Does it include the missing ones?

I have extracted all textures from the dossiers, and the 'missing' ones are just not included. So unless they are hidden somewhere different we would need to make them ourselves, aside from the thumbs which can be cut from the potraitNEW texture.

^

I have been playing replays trying to get to these missions, but I can't seem to get to these.

Since they relate to *.int files I was wondering if anyone has been able play these missions.

Arch Optional Missions.int

[O3_HALBECH APMissions]

Title_Active="Halbech Milan"

Description_Active="Infiltrate the corporate offices of Halbech for more intel on Leland's involvement."

[O2_SCARLET APMissions]

Title_Active="Scarlet Favor"

Description_Active="Gallery Mode, Moscow"

[O1_VODKAPLANT APMissions]

Title_Active="Vodka Plant"

Description_Active="Vodka Plant, just outside Moscow"

I for the life of me cannot find the triggers which offer these mission to the player.

Recent discovery: you can load certain missions by doing this... (Some work and some don't)

URL]

Protocol=unreal

Name=Player

Map=APStartup_p.umap

LocalMap=APStartup_p.umap

TransitionMap=APStartup_p.umap

MapExt=umap

EXEName=APGame.exe

DebugEXEName=DEBUG-APGame.exe

SaveExt=usa

Port=7777

GameName=Alpha Protocol

GameNameShort=AP

Doing this will Load the plane with Scarlet when you first meet her.

URL]

Protocol=unreal

Name=Player

Map=AC02.umap

LocalMap=AC02.umap

TransitionMap=AC02.umap

MapExt=umap

EXEName=APGame.exe

DebugEXEName=DEBUG-APGame.exe

SaveExt=usa

Port=7777

GameName=Alpha Protocol

GameNameShort=AP

*.umap names are the missions folder.

and *.sfd files are actually *.mpg files

Edited by SNIPER231JRC

Arch Optional Missions.int

[O3_HALBECH APMissions]

Title_Active="Halbech Milan"

Description_Active="Infiltrate the corporate offices of Halbech for more intel on Leland's involvement."

Looks like a cut Saudi Arabia mission.

There is a mission screen in Saudi Arabia that's unused that shows many Halbech screens, probably was meant for this mission. Milan though?

^

There is a 'missing' Saudi mission (S06), apparently set in Halbech's Milan office, which has Parker as a handler and has all the assets for it except the map files- I'm fairly sure it is the one mentioned (in game) as being the mission that Mina and Parker went on together prior to the game.

It's not O3 though, and there aren't any 'dangling' level files on the DVD to load, so far as I can tell.

Just curious.. is it possible that some settings in the apgame config files are overridden by the default config files?

In my opinion if it is - MyDocuments.. config files would be overwritten (values I mean). AFAIK they're not - even without making them read only. I need some good program for measuring files activity. Anyone knows one? Unfortunately neither debug, console or log aren't working in AP.

Thanks zkylon. I hope this community as a whole is going to inspire devs from Obsidian to continue their work on improving Alpha Protocol. That game deserves proper treatment and continued development (DLCs, add-ons, patches, modding tools and - ultimately a sequel)...

Although some settings seem to be overwritten unless you make the files read only its not what I ment. Overridden, as in it uses some values from the default config files instead of reading those values from the config files in mydocuments.

MarteenDee: I tried all the fixes in post #20 and all that happened was it made the shop window and equipment and inventory screens completely white http://yfrog.com/mi28023556p (when I go to change Mikes hair, the screen looks similarily white and poorly shaded)

Switching between items on the same list has become quicker, but switching lists and buying items still have extremely long wait times. Also, in-game lag occurs, possibly at an even more frequent rate (every time I fire a burst from my AR, the game stutters)

It is almsot to the point where I'm goign to stop playing this game, which is a shame because the story and characters are all very interesting (I really like Sis and that russian chick with the SAW Machinegun (don't know her name yet))

MarteenDee: I tried all the fixes in post #20 and all that happened was it made the shop window and equipment and inventory screens completely white http://yfrog.com/mi28023556p (when I go to change Mikes hair, the screen looks similarily white and poorly shaded)

Switching between items on the same list has become quicker, but switching lists and buying items still have extremely long wait times. Also, in-game lag occurs, possibly at an even more frequent rate (every time I fire a burst from my AR, the game stutters)

It is almsot to the point where I'm goign to stop playing this game, which is a shame because the story and characters are all very interesting (I really like Sis and that russian chick with the SAW Machinegun (don't know her name yet))

Depends what values you've used. Maybe you should lower texture buffer settings? It seems like your textures aren't loading properly. Also - for opening config files use Notepad++ or similar instead of windows stock notepad. Sometimes it makes config files corrupted.

First - delete all your config files and let the game to overwrite them when it starts. Use WinMerge to compare file I've uploaded couple pages back with your APEngine. Always alter your values accordingly to your hardware configuration - as it might be possible that my values might be to exaggerated for your platform...

Although some settings seem to be overwritten unless you make the files read only its not what I ment. Overridden, as in it uses some values from the default config files instead of reading those values from the config files in mydocuments.

In nearly all Unreal based games I know it's the same - MyDocuments ini files are created from Engine and APGame (the one in game folder) ini files. So: APEngine.ini (from My Documents) overrides DefaultEngine.ini (from installation/APGame/Config dir) which depends and overrides BaseEngine.ini (from Installation/Engine/Config dir). I'll be comparing all ini files between MyDocuments and installation directories to see if anything might be read directly from the latter. I'll report any new findings later.

Sorry to blow your candles about cut content, but you can restore s**** without models, maps and proper scripts entries in particular. If content is cut - it might lack proper script dependencies. Even if it's only commented out - without direct way of altering scripts we can't do anything IMHO. Also - from my experience - content is cut from every game for a reason (unfinished, buggy, poorly implemented, lacking of some major files)...

Nice findings though!

Keep digging, folks!

>_<

You get $20000 for Darcys training mission, over $100,000 from bribing Halbech, weapons cache in Moscow you can sell, trophy weapons you can sell. You can get more money in safes with the higher sabotage skill. You can also bribe Hong Si. I'm sure $1,000,000 is a possiblity. Not bad scratch for a rogue spy. lol

20k is meh. Need 150k for most expensive armor. Some of the Halbech data will get sent to Scarlett for rep. 1mil is not a possibility.

Anyways none of that was the point. I'm not here to debate the game, but to mod it. $100 for a enemy drop is PATHETIC. I'll change that too once I find it.

20k is meh. Need 150k for most expensive armor. Some of the Halbech data will get sent to Scarlett for rep. 1mil is not a possibility.

Anyways none of that was the point. I'm not here to debate the game, but to mod it. $100 for a enemy drop is PATHETIC. I'll change that too once I find it.

True. Way to mod that would be handy - not for "cheating" purposes, but more for balancing and making things more realistic. Same with weapons prices - which are quite ridiculous sometimes (like clip of tranquilliser ammo, which costs more than basic pistol on hard = LOL)

Anyway - another bunch of my changes, from APGame.ini this time (fixes animations by matching moving speed to them, also some more gore and reduced interaction distance, fixes keyboard behaviour during mini games too, but makes overall difficulty slightly higher) :

InteractDistance=64

DecalLifeSpan=60.0
MaxActiveDecals=100

ScaleRate=40
ScaleThreshold=90

BloodSplatter_RegularDecalNumber_Min=3
BloodSplatter_RegularDecalNumber_Max=6
BloodSplatter_SlidingDecalNumber_Min=3
BloodSplatter_SlidingDecalNumber_Max=6
BloodSplatter_DecalRadius_Min=30.f
BloodSplatter_DecalRadius_Max=40.f

BloodSplatter_DecalSpreadRadius=5.f
NadeTrajectoryPreviewWidth=2.f

CoverWalkSpeed=50.f
CoverRunSpeed=100.f

bUsePhysicalAnimations=TRUE

AwarenessCooldownDelay=3.f

NearFarSight_Ratio=0.5f

HardModePawnDamageIncrease=0.50;
HardModeBossDamageIncrease=0.00;
PlayerRotationSpeed=80000.0f
CameraShakeMagnitudeLostEndurance=240.f

MoveSpeedNormal=155
MoveSpeedScoped=75
SprintSpeed=255

CoverMoveSpeed=100.f
InputHeldThreshold=0.0f
InputPressedThreshold=0.0f
CloseToMikeDistance=50.f

• Like 1

True. Way to mod that would be handy - not for "cheating" purposes, but more for balancing and making things more realistic. Same with weapons prices - which are quite ridiculous sometimes (like clip of tranquilliser ammo, which costs more than basic pistol on hard = LOL)

I've been looking for the price and clearinghouse files for a long time now and I can say that they are not in the inis. Maybe I'll have more luck with the game files.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif