Fighting in Tunnels

A game where you fight monsters in tunnels can only be a Good Thing.

There's nothing like loot, dungeons and fighting. Monty Haul gaming is in the DNA of fantasy RPG'ing and I hope to see some proper old skool values in this game. This includes dungeons, tunnels, catacombs, lairs, caves... and fighting in them.

Please discuss favourite fighting in tunnels moments from other games and why.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

While I didn't like the game supermuch, the Hook Horror fight in IWDII was fun. And I loved Dragon's Eye in IWDI.

For future games, I'd like to see someone tackle the idea that the only way to defeat a giant monster is to invade its body, thus the tunnels become various parts of the body where you fight monster parasites while trying to get to the organ to defeat the creature. Imagine fighting a monster that IS the tunnel!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For future games, I'd like to see someone tackle the idea that the only way to defeat a giant monster is to invade its body, thus the tunnels become various parts of the body where you fight monster parasites while trying to get to the organ to defeat the creature. Imagine fighting a monster that IS the tunnel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMac7RkZmr8...feature=related

It was also done in one of the Breath of Fire games (a whale?) IIRC.

Doesn't mean it can't be done more.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't been a big fan of tunnel combat since Half Life's rather tedious handcar ride. I suppose a short tunnel would be all right. Perhaps a culvert of some sort.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Doesn't mean it can't be done more.
Never said otherwise. ;)

:wowey::w00t::ermm:

Dragon's Eye in Icewind Dale was really great looking and from what I remember was fun to run through.

I recall my reaction being more like "Oh, great. Another pack of ****ing Cold Wights." IWD certainly had some strong elements, but a lot of the dungeons were padded out with too much same-y grinding. One way in which IWD2 improved on the first one (although it was lacking in other ways) is that it focused more on interesting setpiece battles than just throwing hordes of enemies at the party.

Anyhow, Fighting in Tunnels memory:

My favorite part of BG1 was always the dungeon you go through to escape after your return to Candlekeep. Neat traps and secrets to uncover, and the dopplegangers make for fun opponents.

But Dragon's eye also had the yuan-ti, didn't it (leading up to the great Yxunomei fight)?

My favorite part of BG1 was always the dungeon you go through to escape after your return to Candlekeep. Neat traps and secrets to uncover, and the dopplegangers make for fun opponents.

Isnt there also one in BG II that will continue to spawn enemies until you reach the end of the tunnel?

Edited by Gfted1

While I didn't like the game supermuch, the Hook Horror fight in IWDII was fun. And I loved Dragon's Eye in IWDI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6YDv_EhnY#t=0m32s :ermm:

I recall my reaction being more like "Oh, great. Another pack of ****ing Cold Wights." IWD certainly had some strong elements, but a lot of the dungeons were padded out with too much same-y grinding. One way in which IWD2 improved on the first one (although it was lacking in other ways) is that it focused more on interesting setpiece battles than just throwing hordes of enemies at the party.

Weren't the stupid cold wights outside of Dragon's Eye and not actually inside it.

Hate the living, love the dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6YDv_EhnY#t=0m32s :ermm:

Mario in Bowser - kinda disturbing.

Also Breath of Fire II -

This thread brings back the terrible memories of the deep roads. Or more recently getting lost in a labyrinth in Numen, however there was no fighting in that, just tunnels and more tunnels and then finally finding what I was meant to find only to have to find my way back. The real kick to the nuts was when I got back to the opening, there was stones you could of taken to mark your path. :ermm:

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Weren't the stupid cold wights outside of Dragon's Eye and not actually inside it.
Nah, they were inside. I remember because it felt very satisfying when my one man army mowed through them. :ermm:

IIRC there was a lone ice troll at DE's entrance. Maybe you're confusing the wights with that?

Edited by Oner

yeah its that bit where the undead are on the other side of a thin landbridge over a chasm on the second floor (or is it third?)

I vote the maze before reaching Sarevok's lair in BG1 as the worst tunnels of all time.

But I always like the maze in Spellhold. Some fighting, some cool riddles, some drama. I also like the tunnel fighting in the Witcher, since they're pitch black and even with a Cat potion one can't see more than two metres ahead... makes for some great atmosphere combined with ghosts, graveirs & vampires.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The pathfinding in Firewine bridge rendered it almost unplayable, in fact a number of times I had to leave the party at the entrance and solo it with a thief sneaking about.

I agree with the guy who loved the 'Escape from Candlekeep' dungeon in BG1, the one with the basilisks. It rocked.

sonsofgygax.JPG

A game where you fight monsters in tunnels can only be a Good Thing.

I hope to see some proper old skool values in this game.

even without the rest o' the "cheers" stuff, the above statement makes soooooo obvious that mc is english.... not that there is anything wrong with being a pasty-faced englishman (unless you are a bp exec.)

am knowing that mc is both serious AND tongue-in-cheek with his request, but if there is one thing that sends a chill down our spine when reading game development message boards, it is the oft repeated notion that there is "proper" values or mechanics. am not wanting a developer to have some hard and fast notion o' proper. is certain elements o' the rpg and crpg community that embrace gaming dogma with a disturbing 'mount of zealotry.

make the game fun, and let "proper" burn in the deepest and most godforsaken corner o' hell. so says Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ Obviously Grom, it is difficult to divine your origin from your mangled syntax :yucky:

When I say 'proper old-skool values' I bridle at the suggestion that I am asking for the developer to adhere to a slavish notion of what is right. I'm talking about something more inchoate, I think. To wit:

* A sense of humour

* An understanding of the conventions of the genre (so they can be broken effectively, you cannot break a rule unless you understand it)

* Fun

* Elegant design

These to me are old skool gaming values in this genre. They're not rules or mechanics, they are principles.

Is there oil in Chicago, BTW?

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Obviously Grom, it is difficult to divine your origin from your mangled syntax :yucky:

When I say 'proper old-skool values' I bridle at the suggestion that I am asking for the developer to adhere to a slavish notion of what is right.

gonna ignore the obvious retort regarding the incompatibility o' propriety and principles so expansive.

that being said, the standard oil building has been the second tallest in the chicago skyline for many years... though it got renamed at the end o' the last century. the chicago river can gets kinda oily too.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The maze at Firewinse Bridge was far worse than the one before Sarevok.

Durlag's Tower was a very nice dungeon though.

Durlag's was the best dungeon play in any game. If Obsidian could have areas like that in DS, that would be great.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester