Dungeon Siege has alwas been a favorite of mine, and one of the greatests strengths of it has always been the myriad of equipment you find. Too many games now-a-days give you a weapon that you'll keep for the next 10 levels until you find something several orders of magnitude better, then you keep that one for 10 levels. In DS1 you would be switching weapons, armor and hats every level or so. Everything you found was just a little better than the last one, or more sparkly or better fit your style. It was great. We still pull DS out at LAN parties for that reason. "Who needs a bow?" "What damage does it do?" etc. DS2 was still pretty good for that but Space Siege lost it entirely.

If there's one thing that will make me play/buy the game, it'll be how good/fun the equipment is.

I'm completely serious when I say the best thing about DS1 was the Pack Mule. I loved that little fella.

Now is the time to allow you to:

* Up-armour the pack mule

* Train the pack mule to explode, like a fiery equine IED

* Allow a spell that turns the pack mule into a gimlet-eyed engine of EEEE-AW! destruction

* Pet your mule for extra karma and tamagotchi-style mini-game action

---

Seriously, you could be missing a trick by not using the mule to it's fullest potential.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Dungeon Seige 3: Mule Rancher (or maybe that should be M.U.L.E. Rancher?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You can't ranch mules, 'Tep, they're infertile.

A spell to restore their potency, however, would make perfect sense in a fantasy game and could indeed in of itself be an engaging side-quest. Restore the Mule Mojo!

sonsofgygax.JPG

I thought that they bred very rarely with a horse or donkey? (But I hedged my bets and mentioned artificial mules (with a double word score reference to a fav C64 era game) although a quest to restore your Mules Mojo would be a worthy quest indeed).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^ I would LOL if it weren't so likely, mind you it could be a Bio game. Then you'd have a mule with a ten-foot high glowing exclamation mark over it's head, a mule-themed anime Mule comic and of course the opportunity to romance the mule.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Am happy to admit that I am a complete sucker for matching armour sets a la Diablo.

I want to see some rarer weapons - exotic polearms, falchions, proper warhammers (like vicious little spiked ones) and the ability to use the severed limbs of enemies as weapons of last resort.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Dungeon Siege has alwas been a favorite of mine, and one of the greatests strengths of it has always been the myriad of equipment you find. Too many games now-a-days give you a weapon that you'll keep for the next 10 levels until you find something several orders of magnitude better, then you keep that one for 10 levels. In DS1 you would be switching weapons, armor and hats every level or so. Everything you found was just a little better than the last one, or more sparkly or better fit your style. It was great. We still pull DS out at LAN parties for that reason. "Who needs a bow?" "What damage does it do?" etc. DS2 was still pretty good for that but Space Siege lost it entirely.

If there's one thing that will make me play/buy the game, it'll be how good/fun the equipment is.

I also loved this about DS1, You could find a helmet with the same stats within the same level that looked totally different to the one you were wearing, and it made for every character (even those of the same class) look completely different when you bumped into them online.

Wearing armor in DS was awesome, heck, it could be a stand-alone mini-game on it's own. Everytime I reached a shop, I was checking out the gear for an hour. Other people on the LAN were always annoyed by me. You don't just buy equipment, but you compare all pieces, and you make up a few sets for every possible solution. I always had a set with armor and strength for my mages, in case we got bashed alot by melee mobs, and a intelligence/magic skill lvl set for pure damage. You always had to work for the perfect set of gear, and after 2 levels, you had to replace most of the pieces again. This is really something I want to see back in DS3.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Wearing armor in DS was awesome, heck, it could be a stand-alone mini-game on it's own. Everytime I reached a shop, I was checking out the gear for an hour. Other people on the LAN were always annoyed by me. You don't just buy equipment, but you compare all pieces, and you make up a few sets for every possible solution. I always had a set with armor and strength for my mages, in case we got bashed alot by melee mobs, and a intelligence/magic skill lvl set for pure damage. You always had to work for the perfect set of gear, and after 2 levels, you had to replace most of the pieces again. This is really something I want to see back in DS3.

OK, seriously though, the rate of replacement was a bit too rapid. Slow it down by 50% or 100% so you have some freaking time to appreicate the damn items!

DS:LoA and DS2 had that with their imbedded items and set pieces and uniques and such.

I doubt most of those would leave the genre after Diablo II.

Also, Draganta, name sounds familiar. Was an user on the Gas Powered Garage?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

DS:LoA and DS2 had that with their imbedded items and set pieces and uniques and such.

I doubt most of those would leave the genre after Diablo II.

Also, Draganta, name sounds familiar. Was an user on the Gas Powered Garage?

Yup, I remember you too hehe, I have also seen you on other forums. We are the last of the true Dungeon Siege fans still alive. Still playing DS1?

Edited by Draganta

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

In this case, I want Obsidian to look at Diablo 2. That game still has one of the best loot systems to date. If the game is to be more of the hack&slash type of game, then loot is one of the most important parts, perhaps the most important after character development.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I really don't like fidgety equipment systems. I certainly don't have the patience to check every piece of armor and rebuild multiple sets every two levels. :(

Still playing DS1?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• 1 month later...

Equipment is one thing that seems to be lacking in a lot of the newer RPG's, DS1 did it right where you had alot of choices even if it was the same stats or +/- on one stat you had a different look you could choose if you so wanted.

I loved looking for new armor and weapons to use. I'd prefer to keep the skill system from DS1, trying to find the next level of a spell your using was always a blast cause it meant the slaughter of anything that gets in the way hoping it might drop the next one.

Dungeon Siege did the loot system correctly but totally screw up the attribute/mod side of things. The weapons and armour had utterly boring and often horrible mods. Mechanically, nothing was wrong with the system, but the items weren't anywhere near as exciting of those found in Diablo 2, from memory.

Look at D2: piercing shots, crushing blow, deadly strike (double damage), poison damage over time, open wounds (another DOT), chance to cast static field (AOE crushing blow via lightning dmg), +defence based on level, +damage based on level, +MAX resist, % physical resist, absolute (not percent) physical and magical resist, damage ABSORB (resists then heals)... these are just examples, and I'm sure Obsidian can think up plenty more!