Dungeon Siege 3 Modding Support

Hi everybody, I'm from ara-ff community

The topic title explains it already, we want to know it theres modding support in this release ?

Dungeon Siege 1 had a longer lifespan then Dungeon Siege 2 because of several reasons, 1 of them is the modding support and i

think we should all discuss this right here.

For now we know nothing.

All we are discussing about is a bunch of concept arts and well.. the PR announcement.

One fairly promising sign is that Obsidian already had modding support for one of their past games (Neverwinter Nights 2) and will most likely have it for Fallout : New Vegas (the lead designer in an interview let it slip that probably 'PC modders will even increase the challenge in other ways').

Both of these titles were sequels to title with a toolset, using non-Obsidian tech though (actually, they redid the rendering technology from scratch for NWN2 I think, but they still could start from an already done engine).

Now, I'm not sure if this game is going to run on Obsidian's own engine (Onyx) or not, but it will, most likely, so, who knows...

I, personally, would be in favor of a toolset or something similar, as long as it doesn't take too much resources that would be better spent elsewhere. :p

I don't have much to discuss in this area since I don't usually make mods...but I would be all for it, so I could use the mods others would make. :p

I got a lot of mileage from some mods for DS1 - most were very simple function or cosmetic, but I liked being able to customize the game more. And a few mods were fairly complex/ambitious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 months later...

There's no PVP in the game.

As for modding, we know next to nothing about how much of the engine is moddable, but what is sure for now (it may change in the future, or at least I hope so) is that they aren't planning to release the engine toolset (see Feargus Urquhart interview with GameBanshee).

they aren't planning to release the engine toolset (see Feargus Urquhart interview with GameBanshee).

The first disappointment already

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

• 4 months later...

Is there going to be any kind of official modding support or at least make the game friendly to modding? If not that's going to be a huge let down and I'll probably skip this game in favor of Torchlight 2 and Neverwinter 3... User created content was a huge part of Dungeon Siege.

• 4 weeks later...
Um, so how come there is absolutly no information on this subject and why is everybody being so quiet about it?

From what it seems to me is this: Obsidian is not Gas Powered Games. Don't expect anything to be how it was.

My gut feeling is I will love this game, and hate it. Just like the first time I played Fable. It was amazing, just it could have been so much more.

Um, so how come there is absolutly no information on this subject and why is everybody being so quiet about it?

From what it seems to me is this: Obsidian is not Gas Powered Games. Don't expect anything to be how it was.

Obsidian has released several games from which only one wasn't moddable. It is not unresonable to assume that this will be moddable too.

Since its their own engine now. I'm pretty sure there will still be something coming.

Also please people stop with Fable comparisons.

Edited by C2B

Obsidian has released several games from which only one wasn't moddable. It is not unresonable to assume that this will be moddable too.

Since its their own engine now. I'm pretty sure there will still be something coming.

Why would we not compare it to previous games of the same genre? Is it unreasonable to bring up flaws in games that we don't want in this game, just as it is important to bring up the things in other games we do like?

Using comparisons gives your argument more credibility. If I say I don't like something, and then give a reason why. Then my argument is more credible.

Why would we not compare it to previous games of the same genre? Is it unreasonable to bring up flaws in games that we don't want in this game, just as it is important to bring up the things in other games we do like?

Using comparisons gives your argument more credibility. If I say I don't like something, and then give a reason why. Then my argument is more credible.

Except Fable isn't a hack n' slash nor anything else like DS3. To make the comparison even credible there has to be a connection.

If you brought up similiar games like Gauntlet or Dark Alliance. Ok. But where is the connection between Fable and DS3? And specifically. Where is the connection between these two and your argument.

Edited by C2B

If you brought up similiar games like Gauntlet or Dark Alliance. Ok. But where is the connection between Fable and DS3? And specifically. Where is the connection between these two and your argument.

Oh I don't know how about the fact that they are both story oriented RPG's where your actions affect the outcome of the game? They both have about the same play time. They both have some sort of alignment. In both games you talk to people get quests and get rewards for doing it.

Sure, the fighting aspect of the game is more like Champions of Norrath mixed with Demon's Souls, but there is definite comparison to Fable.

Edited by DarkLord RuKen

Oh I don't know how about the fact that they are both story oriented RPG's where your actions affect the outcome of the game? They both have about the same play time. They both have some sort of alignment. In both games you talk to people get quests and get rewards for doing it.

You've described about any WRPG that came out in the last.. what.. 15 years?

Yes. I think we just figured it out. This game is an RPG. Just like all those ones we have been playing for years. You can compare them all. They are all share this thing we like to call a "genre".

Yes. I think we just figured it out. This game is an RPG. Just like all those ones we have been playing for years. You can compare them all. They are all share this thing we like to call a "genre".

Yet Fable doesn't focus on its combat. DS3 does. There are literary hunderds of action-rpgs/hack n' slashs that are closer and related to DS3.

And I still don't get the connection. How did it reinforce your argument?

Edited by C2B

Yet Fable doesn't focus on its combat. DS3 does. There are literary hunderds of action-rpgs/hack n' slashs that are closer and related to DS3.

And I still don't get the connection. How did it reinforce your argument?

What I said was this. I have a feeling that this game will be like Fable in the sense that it will be awesome, and yet at the same time let me down because it could have been so much more.

"Fable received positive reception by critics." "Though pointing out several flaws in the game such as bland character designs" "The short length of the main plot was criticised by reviewers"

I feel there will be similar things said about this game. You will beat it in 15-20 hours, and wish there was more to it. In making the game that short you will either upset the people who were really wanting the story to be more indepth, or upset the people who wanted a balls out hack-n-slash because there was to much story in it. Unless they add some awesome endgame content past the ending of the story line we are all going to beat it and say "that was it?"

Many great RPG stories have come from 15-20 hour games. Fallout 1 and Mask of the Betrayer comes to mind.

Fable's main plot wasn't bad because it was too short, it was bad because it was stupid in every way imaginable.

What's more important is whether the game feels too short once you play it, not absolute hours figure (and this is where the issue of comparisons might come in - doesn't bother me myself, but Fable is such a hugely different game to DS3 in design, execution, target audience, style, setting, etc.) - many '40 hour epics' just drag on and on with filler combat or filler quests (search the land for 4 macguffins). Will we see a slick, focused story that does the job in 15-20 hours, or a story that isn't much of a story? We'll see.

• 7 months later...

Holy Crow!!!! Calm the XX down people!! you are becoming a bunch of ignorant overly narcissistic and opinionated trollers at this point.....if you haven't already met that goal.

This is the topic regarding MODDING SUPPORT AS IT PERTAINS TO DUNGEON SIEGE 3

not whether Fable can be compared to DS3. but let's settle this once and for all. ANYTHING CAN BE COMPARED TO ANYTHING ELSE!! This does NOT mean that the two things are related, similar or different. The only bearing comparison has on the relationship between two objects in said comparison is to actually find out what they have in common or do not have in common. For instance, if i wanted to compare **** to your comments, i could do that. In most cases, they are not similar at all, but in the case of some of the above posters, i believe there would be some VERY distinct similarities. Smells bad, it's bad for you if you ingest it and it comes out of an ****. So STFU and talk about MODDING.

I agree with DS1 having a longer lifespan because of mods. I just re downloaded some mods for LOA (which i dug up and reinstalled) and am playing it again. I play it for the loot drops, always have and always will. that was DS's strong point. DS3 lacks there. loot drops are weak and really pitiful. No set items (which sucks AND blows at the same time) and even the 'rare' items aren't very good. As soon as possible, i think this should be the focus of modders. just my opinion.