Dear Obsidian

Dear Obsidian,

Icewind Dale.

Thanks!

Your pal,

Llyranor

:(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought the general consensus was D&D was dead at 4E? Either way, I think I've had enough of D&D RPGs.

According to Saywer is the best D&D edition.

And certainly, Obsidian wouldn't pass the opportunity of working on a franchise with such an enormous fanbase (even with all the bashing against the 4th ed. there still would be a LOT of guaranteed sales) and do another take on Forgotten Realms or another D&D fantasy setting (Eberron?).

Assuming that they manage to implement the mechanics correctly and work on it from scratch, it could even turn out to be a pretty good game, and that's coming from someone that is just as much fed up with D&D crpgs as you.

With all the legal shenanigans it's quite improbable that a D&D title will be worked on in the near future though.

I thought the general consensus was D&D was dead at 4E? Either way, I think I've had enough of D&D RPGs.

And certainly, Obsidian wouldn't pass the opportunity of working on a franchise with such an enormous fanbase (even with all the bashing against the 4th ed. there still would be a LOT of guaranteed sales) and do another take on Forgotten Realms or another D&D fantasy setting (Eberron?).

Assuming that they manage to implement the mechanics correctly and work on it from scratch, it could even turn out to be a pretty good game, and that's coming from someone that is just as much fed up with D&D crpgs as you.

With all the legal shenanigans it's quite improbable that a D&D title will be worked on in the near future though.

Not saying we couldn't get another good D&D game, most of them have been excellent rpgs. I would just like to see some other settings. Since I'm not a pnp player I'm guessing Eberron is a different D&D setting with different mechanics etc? That would be fine.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Not saying we couldn't get another good D&D game, most of them have been excellent rpgs. I would just like to see some other settings. Since I'm not a pnp player I'm guessing Eberron is a different D&D setting with different mechanics etc? That would be fine.

Yup, Eberron is a more steampunkish setting, with some really interesting bits of lore, and some fun mechanics.

Never had the pleasure to play a campaign in it, so unfortunately, I can't really tell you more than that.

I'd imagine with Dark Sun returning for 4E that'd be the place to take a new game (since I don't think any of the Eberron 3e games did all that well...)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To the extent that Llyranor ever makes sense, I think that he was suggesting that Obsidz's efforts on the Dungeon Siege game take inspiration from the gameplay of the original Icewind Dale. I doubt that the point was to bring up D&D/AD&D rules and settings (which, IMO, were among the least attractive elements of the IWD games).

Edited by Enoch

To the extent that Llyranor ever makes sense, I think that he was suggesting that Obsidz's efforts on the Dungeon Siege game take inspiration from the gameplay of the original Icewind Dale. I doubt that the point was to bring up D&D/AD&D rules and settings (which, IMO, were among the least attractive elements of the IWD games).

I doubt that too, but can you honestly pass an opportunity to do such thing? Huh? Can you Enoch? Can you?

I loved IWD so a hack and slash game of comparable nature would be most welcome.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

With a final 5E ruleset created specifically for CRPGS they could keep it alive.

A 5E IWD3 with improved Mystary engine..

Can always.. dream. :sorcerer:

J.

4th edition rules and setting is an abomination to D&D. AD&D for life. :yucky:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Dear Obsidian,

Icewind Dale.

Thanks!

Your pal,

Llyranor

I would buy that, I would buy several copies!

I am a big fan of Icewind Dale, not so much Dungeon Siege, DS II killed that franchise for me.

Edited by Kasabian

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

No! NO EBERRON! I HATE EBERRON! I HATE IT WITH A PASSION! Dragonlance, Birthright, Planescape, Awesome Dark Sun, anything but effing Eberron! Hell, I'd take Greyhawk over Eberron!

Icewind Dale would be awesome. IWD 2 was the frigging bomb. THE FRIGGING BOMB I TELL YOU! Or something like ToEE. I liked ToEE too. Anything but Eberron, generally.

I am planning on re-installing IWD1, KoW and TotL this weekend and playing it to death with a gimpy party.

It's fabulous, capture 10% of it in Dungeon Siege III and it'll be better than the previous 2.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am planning on re-installing IWD1, KoW and TotL this weekend and playing it to death with a gimpy party.

It's fabulous, capture 10% of it in Dungeon Siege III and it'll be better than the previous 2.

Agreed!

While I'm very tempted to go with a dual-wield ranger cleric (so ****ing powerful), I would miss out on the Druid's shape shifting, which is a deal-breaker for me. So I think I'll go with a party of multi-class Fighter/Druid and Mage/Thief this time on normal difficulty (with a 2 person party like this, Hardest screws up the balance too much).

• 1 month later...

D&D is a trend-setting system that isn't really beneficial for games that already have trends. It's much better if you're in need of a channel.

Dungeon Siege already has Silver and its own... plus slight Diablo:ishsm :devil:

I just hope the Silver spirit carries on even with mr Chris being less involved in the project.