Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

in any event, it seems we is in agreement that the appeal o' this project is all 'bout "risk management," which is good for fergie, but is hardly the kinda thing for fans to get excited. "their bottom line is safe. huzzah."

I'm a little excited. I might be an outlier though and my excitement/non-excitement levels may wax/wane as information is revealed about the game.

are you excited 'cause it is a ds game or because it is an obsidian game? our query were: why ds?

HA! Good Fun!

I liked the first Dungeon Siege. Would I be as excited if it wasn't Obsidian doing it? No. Would I still be interested? Yeah probably.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

am seeing why fergie, particularly in light of economic realities and the recent issues regarding aliens and ap, might choose low risk projects, and titles with numbers after names typically is lower risk. sadly, other than the obvious risk management concerns, we cannot see a reason for wanting to be a part o' a ds project.

People are talking as if the game was just started, but it has been in development even before New Vegas was announced, right? Rumors of a fantasy project on which Feargus was personally working were about for a long time, I would say at least a year!

are you excited 'cause it is a ds game or because it is an obsidian game? our query were: why ds?

HA! Good Fun!

Combinations of factors, I suppose. Good timing, too. Square Enix is seeking to expand in the western market and seeks for deals with western publishers. They have a relatively well-known franchise at hand, and Obsidian must have sought them out for a project, either DS3 itself or something else. Square perhaps jumped on the occasion. And Obsidian isn't too touchy about the projects they are proposed, although I guessed there were a number on conditions for DS3, notably to use their own engine this time.

am seeing why fergie, particularly in light of economic realities and the recent issues regarding aliens and ap, might choose low risk projects, and titles with numbers after names typically is lower risk. sadly, other than the obvious risk management concerns, we cannot see a reason for wanting to be a part o' a ds project.

People are talking as if the game was just started, but it has been in development even before New Vegas was announced, right? Rumors of a fantasy project on which Feargus was personally working were about for a long time, I would say at least a year!

your point? you ain't suggesting that fergie woke up last tuesday and sudden discovered that aliens were cancelled while he were napping and ap were facing problems, are you? give the guy a little credit. we knew of delays regarding ap for 'bout a year, and if fergie were complete surprised that sega killed aliens only after it happened, then he probable ain't doing a very good job as obsidian ceo. your 1-year guesstimate would seem to bolster our remark rather than diminishing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Very much agreed, this is in the same vein as the Wheel of Time half-project, in terms of the business. Still, there's no reason we can't get an enjoyable game out of it if all goes well.

I'm really quite excited about this. Between Alpha Protocol, New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III, it feels like each of my three distinct RPG needs (story, exploration and character development) is going to be scratched by a single developer. I really enjoyed Dungeon Siege II despite a few rough edges, and I think Obsidian will be able to take the series in a new, and better, direction.

HA! Good Fun!

Because it was greenlit for production and has financial backing?

as distinguishable from any other obsidian project?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Kingdom of Ehb was a pretty lame setting (but nothing worse than Dragon Age), I don't even remember finding more than 5 lore books.

I remember finding at least 5 in the spider dungeon alone in DS1. Replay it and see. Or I will.

And there's at LEAST 22 lore books in DS2, because they're part of a quest.

That's it. I am done with Obsidian. They could have made better games but they turned into a crappy company. This will be my last post on these boards. The main reason I joined back in 2004 was the hope to see TBH turned into a playable game but they decided to scrap the idea. Lame, they could have made tons of money even with an old engine. It was nice having discussions with you guys on these boards but it just pains me to see what BIS/Obz has become nowadays. Saludos!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

That's it. I am done with Obsidian. They could have made better games but they turned into a crappy company. This will be my last post on these boards. The main reason I joined back in 2004 was the hope to see TBH turned into a playable game but they decided to scrap the idea. Lame, they could have made tons of money even with an old engine. It was nice having discussions with you guys on these boards but it just pains me to see what BIS/Obz has become nowadays. Saludos!

Isn't it like the 3rd time you say something like this?

I like Ramza a lot, he's a nice guy here on the forums. But seriously, Jonesing after a piece of six-year old vapourware is a waste of time.

Move on, dude. :: sniffs :: Just.... let it go.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sad fact: You don't always get what you want. That goes for you and Obsidian. I mean cmon, they are running an independent rgp development studio. It's not like they can go and force Atari to buy the assets from Interplay and then release a game on an old engine... And you know f*****ing nothing about DS3 at this point, but here you are crying like someone stabbed you in the back five times. Please keep your promise this time around and stay away :ermm:

Hate the living, love the dead.

It's worth noting that Obsidian's RPGs have mostly been raw potential, and that each one has had its share of issues. Between Bethesda and Square Enix though, they may finally have the publishing support they need to develop a bonefied hit or two. Now it's up to them to make it happen.

Pretty much what I think too.

Don't disappoint us, Obsdiz! Make me eat my words when it comes to management! ;)

... by the way, why is everyone and their sister and dog calling those concept arts screenshots?

... by the way, why is everyone and their sister and dog calling those concept arts screenshots?

Because those pieces of concept art were tagged as screenshots by Square Enix. Obviously Squenix PR's mistake.

Still.. not recognizing the difference between concept arts and screenshots.. ;)

Anyway, Squenix's mistake.