Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

Of note, the official website has no such announcement yet.... http://release.square-enix.com/na/2010/

:*

It's official.

"News time! #SquareEnix Announces Partnership w/ #Obsidian for #DungeonSiege 3 Looking forward to collaborating w/ @Feargus @DeathBot9"

"Oh and #DungeonSiege 3 will be a multi-platform release this time around :)"

Who the hell is SquareEnixSonia? Do they even work at SE? I saw no such mention in their bio.

I don't remember what her role is but she does work at Squeenix. Heck, she was the one giving 'hint hint we're going to work with Chris Taylor again!' twitter messages that funcroc immediately posted here.

I don't remember what her role is but she does work at Squeenix. Heck, she was the one giving 'hint hint we're going to work with Chris Taylor again!' twitter messages that funcroc immediately posted here.

Ahh ok thank you.

I guess now the question is, is it a streaming isometric RPG like the first 2 or simply an RPG using the Onyx engine?

Ahh ok thank you.

I guess now the question is, is it a streaming isometric RPG like the first 2 or simply an RPG using the Onyx engine?

Nope, the real question is : will the forum be here or will there be another external link?

Let's not forget that DS3 will be a direct competitor to Diablo III...

Diablo 3 won't be on consoles.

Diablo 3 will be on Macs and will play on any PC from the last 7 years, so the platform shouldn't really be a problem.

DSIII has the console market to tap even if Diablo III dominates the PC/Mac market.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Obsidian making Dungeon Siege 3 is like having a gourmet chef microwave you a hot pocket. Complete waste of time and talent.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Awwww!

I want the "=/" back! it summed up my feelings perfectly!

I felt it didn't express my confusion adequately.

Now if Obsidian was an alcoholic drink, what would it be?

Let's not forget that DS3 will be a direct competitor to Diablo III...

Diablo 3 won't be on consoles.

Diablo 3 will be on Macs and will play on any PC from the last 7 years, so the platform shouldn't really be a problem.

DSIII has the console market to tap even if Diablo III dominates the PC/Mac market.

The markets have quite a bit of overlap, especially in the RPG section. I guess it could be another Sacred II for console-only section.

Edited by Purkake

Obsidian making Dungeon Siege 3 is like having a gourmet chef microwave you a hot pocket. Complete waste of time and talent.

But what if the gourmet chef took the idea of a "hot pocket" and made something new from scratch that used the basic ideas of a hot pocket?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It could very well be a streaming isometric RPG using the Onyx Engine, as long as its technology permits it.

What did I tell you about isometric view? :sorcerer:

*sigh* Another hand me down :sorcerer:.

I'm sure they'll do better with this than they did with AP.

But seriously, this doesn't bode well, well unless they're actually going to make some more like IWD, then, well, then I shall smile some and enjoy.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

But what if the gourmet chef took the idea of a "hot pocket" and made something new from scratch that used the basic ideas of a hot pocket?

At the end of the day, they'll still be microwaving it.

Great analogy, eh?

At post#63

I think you just hurt my feelings a little.

Better get used to it, the Obsidian Entertainment Boards is serious business

Edited by Purkake

Concept art = cool if a bit generic. Doesn't really give me any particular vibe, but at least the settings (assuming all those things will be in the game) seem varied enough.

Since I hate that term, what do you mean by "generic?" You're using it as a pejorative and I'm curious why.

It's so overused it's become meaningless IMO (that and I think most people don't actually know what the term means, and simply use it to say "I don't really like what I see but I can't put my fingers on it).

It's Nathaniel's first job as Lead Designer, no? Give the poor guy a break. :sorcerer:

Nathaniel is a good designer.

BTW. In case anyone cares.

Agreed.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Since I hate that term, what do you mean by "generic?" You're using it as a pejorative and I'm curious why.

It's so overused it's become meaningless IMO (that and I think most people don't actually know what the term means, and simply use it to say "I don't really like what I see but I can't put my fingers on it).

By 'generic' I mean 'it hasn't a strong personality'/'doesn't look unique'. Depending on how it's done, it's not necessarily bad, though of course, most of the time it is.

That was the look of Dungeon Siege I & II by the way, so they're keeping it in line with that.

Click

Square Enix announces that Obsidian Entertainment, who recently released the espionage-themed RPG Alpha Protocol, are developing the third installment in the popular RPG hack'n'slash series Dungeon Siege. The game will be created under the supervision of Gas Powered Games and Chris Taylor, who were responsible for bringing the first two games to life.

Dungeon Siege 3 will retain "the best features" of the previous games, while introducing a co-op mode with support for up to 4 players. Set in "an immersive world where every decision you make has a consequence," Dungeon Siege 3 features "intuitive action gameplay" with the series' familiar RPG elements.

"It Is an Honor and a pleasure to Be part of the legend of Dungeon Siege," Said Obsidian boss, Feargus Urquhart. "This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for the franchise and Obsidian, and the qualities of two companies in terms of scenario will be visible throughout the game."

Wow, I didn't see this one coming. Still, last time GPG made an action RPG (Space Siege), it was a total disaster and I think we all know what to expect from Obsidian's Alpha Protocol. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with DS 3. Hm, right, I'm sure they won't. In fact, I'm also sure I'll be getting a wet, juicy, slobbery kiss from Megan Fox tonight.

You gotta be kidding me.

HAHAHAHA THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I loved Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. DS1 was a beautiful if simple dungeon crawl, while DS2 was a reasonably complex if linear in plot dungeon crawl and still quite beautiful.

Now with Obsid working no 3 I can see it being a full-blown decent RPG the likes of which I've been craving for a while, and a decent dungeon hack no the side.