Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

Click

Square Enix announces that Obsidian Entertainment, who recently released the espionage-themed RPG Alpha Protocol, are developing the third installment in the popular RPG hack'n'slash series Dungeon Siege. The game will be created under the supervision of Gas Powered Games and Chris Taylor, who were responsible for bringing the first two games to life.

Dungeon Siege 3 will retain "the best features" of the previous games, while introducing a co-op mode with support for up to 4 players. Set in "an immersive world where every decision you make has a consequence," Dungeon Siege 3 features "intuitive action gameplay" with the series' familiar RPG elements.

"It Is an Honor and a pleasure to Be part of the legend of Dungeon Siege," Said Obsidian boss, Feargus Urquhart. "This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for the franchise and Obsidian, and the qualities of two companies in terms of scenario will be visible throughout the game."

Wow, I didn't see this one coming. Still, last time GPG made an action RPG (Space Siege), it was a total disaster and I think we all know what to expect from Obsidian's Alpha Protocol. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with DS 3. Hm, right, I'm sure they won't. In fact, I'm also sure I'll be getting a wet, juicy, slobbery kiss from Megan Fox tonight.

You gotta be kidding me.

Square has some balls, glad to see another Japanese company besides Capcom taking risks such as these; Considering how empty the series is(I've only played the first one and a bit of the second one) I think that Obsidian will have alot of fun and creative freedom making this game.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

Square has some balls, glad to see another Japanese company besides Capcom taking risks such as these, I think that Obsidian will have a lot of fun making this(considering how empty the series is)

Well, I'm not writing off the project before I've seen something. But really, Obsidian, you must be desperate.

Edited by Morgoth

You gotta be kidding me.

Uh oh.

Obsidian must be bleeding money from left and right to make sequel to one of the most boring trailroad diablo clones.

Pretty much.

I still hope they can surprise me with this project but honestly... the premises are not good.

Not good at all.

I hear the Ultima remake on the DS2 engine was pretty good, so apparently it was just the game design that was uninspired to say the least. I don't see why this couldn't turn out a fine RPG. The only problem is Obsidians apparent lack of skill in game development. Every game they've made so far has been very flawed.

I disagree completely, I think that this game will be awesome.

Yes, Ziets' work will be awesome :)

Well, he had some pretty fun things to play with the Forgotten Realms, I don't know anything about is work on Lord of the Rings online, but, assuming the Dungeon Siege setting is either so bland and empty that they can't rework it from inside without contradicting, or has enough fun things to play with, it could turn out like a good game storywise.

... let's just say that's not my concern :p

I hope they change Dungeon Siege's basic design substantially....

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

f_jimm_873a19a.gif

Really? That's like scraping the bottom of a already scraped barrel.

What happened to original fantasy RPGs?

And for what it's worth, I liked Dungeon Siege 1 back when it came out, but certainly not for its story/characters/setting...

Edited by Purkake

Well, we have to see this in a more positive light. Obsidian has basically free reign to completely reboot/recreate the DS setting. They can make it completely different from the predecessors without violating canon, because there never was any.

Bold statement from someone who hasn't even played it. :p

Well, we have to see this in a more positive light. Obsidian has basically free reign to completely reboot/recreate the DS setting. They can make it completely different from the predecessors without violating canon, because there never was any.

Bold statement from someone who hasn't even played it. :p

Huh? I played the half of the first one, and the demo of the second one! :)

Weren't the two main RPG features of Dungeon Siege a donkey to carry your loot and no loading times?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: