Fallout: New Vegas

i miss those random encounters, i hope they do a better job with that type of stuff in the new game

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I certainly didn't go to Megaton first, I just wondered around and got mauled by a radbear. Maybe that's what happened to him?
Does Yao Guai even spawn anywhere near Megaton? The seriously worst things I ran into early-game was the Giant Ants and Molerats, which yes, can be a handful depending on your stat allocation and gear. That said, I can't imagine the vast majority of new players not following the initial course - a course that the game pretty much holds your hand for, with fast travel and compasses.

Fallout 3 were a great many things, far from all of them good, but it certainly wasn't hard, unless the definition of "hard" is "I died once or twice in the beginning, before I had learned the game". That's not the mindset of a casual gamer. That's the mindset of a reject. :sorcerer:

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Speaking of traveling and an open world what was up with the whole city/metro section being a giant maze instead of an actually open area?
In FO3? Bethesda pretty much abandoned the "open world" approach with Oblivion, and started instancing every little sideroom, which naturally carried over into Oblivion TC: Fallout. It's some kind of engine/console limitation. It's entirely possible to make a completely open world, but it's taxing on the system, and consoles would never be able to handle it (don't get me wrong; it's taxing on a PC too. The difference is just that PCs can be upgraded to something useful).

The result was pretty much "Capital Wasteland: The DC Maze". Had to go through mazelike subways to get from point A to point B, instead of climbing some rubble. I suppose it would've been even more silly to have a big door separating two parts of Pennsylvania Avenue, to allow for a load screen. :(

t50aJUd.jpg

While I don't agree with his deduction as to why traits weren't in Fallout 3 (it's a weak excuse at best), I agree with most everything else. Out of all the things mission from Fallout 3, traits were one of the things I missed the most. Now, if they could just get rid of the mission compass and fast travel, too...

t50aJUd.jpg

Also, I'm looking forward to trying the weapon modding, which supposedly is reflected on in-game models, which is always great to see. And the Companion Wheel may actually mean that I'll be using companions at all, this time around. Hopefully they've also added some control over what gear they use, instead of a reverse-pickpocket system in where they wear whatever the hell they please, no matter how useless.

t50aJUd.jpg

Also, I'm looking forward to trying the weapon modding, which supposedly is reflected on in-game models, which is always great to see. And the Companion Wheel may actually mean that I'll be using companions at all, this time around. Hopefully they've also added some control over what gear they use, instead of a reverse-pickpocket system in where they wear whatever the hell they please, no matter how useless.

1) We have already seen some renders of modded weapons, so yeah, they look different than when they aren't modded.

2) You have at least a limited influence on what gear your companion use, since in a preview it was mentioned that the player gave Raul the ghoul the order to use melee weapons instead of ranged ones, and the companion lamented the fact that he wasn't proficient in melee (but still used it). Since that was already in Fallout 3, I'm not sure what you're asking though.

2) You have at least a limited influence on what gear your companion use, since in a preview it was mentioned that the player gave Raul the ghoul the order to use melee weapons instead of ranged ones, and the companion lamented the fact that he wasn't proficient in melee (but still used it). Since that was already in Fallout 3, I'm not sure what you're asking though.
If Obsidian goes after Van Buren, some NPCs may irrationally stick to a certain outfits. A charisma boy/Speech character may increase the influence on NPC related choices, though.

[...]

Yeah, this was already in FO3, as you said. What I'd like is to decide what gear they wear, as opposed to automatically equipping whatever has the highest DR. If you asked them to carry a pair of sunglasses, they'll automatically equip them. If you gave them a helmet, they'd automatically equip that. And so on.

There are many reasons I wouldn't want someone to run around in power armour, for example, just because I asked them to carry it. Maybe I want them to wear a sheriff's duster, or use a shotgun instead of an chinese rifle.

t50aJUd.jpg

For example, if I somehow become a part of the NCA Rangers, it's likely that I'd want to wear the New California Ranger Armor. Likewise, I'd probably like to dress up any companion I've got in a similar armour.

t50aJUd.jpg

For example, if I somehow become a part of the NCA Rangers, it's likely that I'd want to wear the New California Ranger Armor. Likewise, I'd probably like to dress up any companion I've got in a similar armour.

I played with a mod that had a workaround for that. You could add items that you want the NPC to equip and use, and give him item you don't want him to equip or use. Still, the items you wanted him/her/it to use were used based on the NPC's AI, which meant that he automatically equipped weapons with better damage etc.

Still, it was much better than the stock companion AI/control in Fallout 3.

Speaking of traveling and an open world what was up with the whole city/metro section being a giant maze instead of an actually open area?

I actually liked it. ...Once I got used to it. I've played through four times and only just got the hang of the architecture. The only thing I would have liked is to be able to spraypaint so I could keep track actually in the game.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I actually liked it. ...Once I got used to it. I've played through four times and only just got the hang of the architecture. The only thing I would have liked is to be able to spraypaint so I could keep track actually in the game.

I wonder if the engine would allow it... That'd be a nice little addition.

On that note, I wonder what kind of flexibility id Tech 5 would have...

Mmmmm Obsidian RPG on an id engine... *drool*

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

If the engine could support it, you'd think there'd be a mod for it already. There is even a chalk mod for Morrowind, allowing you to paint/write on any surface.

t50aJUd.jpg

If the engine could support it, you'd think there'd be a mod for it already. There is even a chalk mod for Morrowind, allowing you to paint/write on any surface.

ANY surface? I'm sorry but that would turn the entire game into a moustache drawing simulator for me...

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

ANY surface? I'm sorry but that would turn the entire game into a moustache drawing simulator for me...

Hahaha. I should've worded that better. It's any flat surface. Unfortunately, you can't draw on other characters. :ermm:

t50aJUd.jpg

They said they didn't make many improvements to the visual engine but if you watch those E3 videos you'll see they imbued Gamebryo with cutting-edge PV (projectile vomit) rendering capabilities.

Hey Josh, if it's not too much to ask, could you throw in some type of weapon that causes enemies to vomit? Like the V:TMB Blood Purge, but in gun form.

Edited by Pop

They said they didn't make many improvements to the visual engine but if you watch those E3 videos you'll see they imbued Gamebryo with cutting-edge PV (projectile vomit) rendering capabilities.

Hey Josh, if it's not too much to ask, could you throw in some type of weapon that causes enemies to vomit? Like the V:TMB Blood Purge, but in gun form.

In other words, let us unzip our flies and urinate in the faces of our foes. :lol:

Great now I'm imagining a portable, directional infrasound generator (since infrasound has been claimed to cause things like vomiting, uncontrolled bowel movements, lung collapses and heart arrhythmia...)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Great now I'm imagining a portable, directional infrasound generator (since infrasound has been claimed to cause things like vomiting, uncontrolled bowel movements, lung collapses and heart arrhythmia...)

You're thinking of that new perfume by Jordan.

-Elwood Blues