Fallout: New Vegas

It isn't seen after every kill and it's optional.

If it's not seen after every kill, when is it seen? After critical hit kills? How does it work?

Ever play Jedi Knight 2-3? Assassin's Creed 2?

Triggers randomly most likely.

Even in this case: "plant C4 all around an unsuspecting character, then detonate it and watch them fly over a nearby house in slow motion"? Now the source turned out to be unreliable but there are multiple sources about this slow motion triggered by detonation... :-

And? Explosions aren't supposed to kill people?

I think, a player who indulge themselves with this kind of "mischief" would probably like to see the "results"...in not a random manner. :-

Then they set the Kill-Cam frequency to Always before detonation. :lol:

If it's not seen after every kill, when is it seen? After critical hit kills? How does it work?

I believe it is only triggered when you kill the last hostile within range. So if you're in an extended firefight, it's not going to go off until the last target drops.

I believe it is only triggered when you kill the last hostile within range. So if you're in an extended firefight, it's not going to go off until the last target drops.

Good choice.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

It sounds reasonable but why "believe", while you are the project director? ...I guess this is probably a question about developing process. :ermm:

Thanks for the answer.

It isn't seen after every kill and it's optional.

Ever play Jedi Knight 2-3? Assassin's Creed 2?

Also honestly I haven't played either of those games.

It sounds reasonable but why "believe", while you are the project director? ...I guess this is probably a question about developing process. :ermm:

Why not believe? Would he lie to us?

He's also lead designer.

Edited by taviow

:ermm: I meant why he used the worlds "I believe" while he is most likely to be a person who has a whole picture of FO:NV. He is one of a few designers who kept communicating with us since BIS boards and...as far as I know, he didn't tell a lie.

It's stupid. WTF is wrong with people they they need to see **** exploding all the time.

But as long as its optional, then no problem.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The problem with slowmo in Fallout 3 is that it tends to not look particularly impressive.

Now FEAR... that's a whole 'nother league. :ermm:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

i miss the death animations in fallout 1 and 2. they werent really slow-mo, but they had just enough oomph in the sound design department that your attention really focused on them as they occurred, it was just so exciting to see. I never got that excited in fallout 3 except the first time i shot someones leg off with a shotgun (like in "above the law"! or was it "out for justice"?)

it would have been cool if fallout 3 had animations as awesome as those were, plus 20 more so you don't feel like you see the same ones repeated very often.

oh well, in another world...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The Fallout 1 and 2 animations were slow, even if they weren't slow-mo.

The character would take a hit, fall to the ground and bleed out all before you could make another move. It took longer to get to the next move on a critical/bloody mess. Given that it was already sluggish as heck in taking turns (not to mention the fun hunt and seek where combat was being triggered by something off screen so you had to live through an interminable amount of turns just to find and kill the battle trigger), it made combat kinda not fun at times (particularly big battles with lots of raiders/enclave/super-mutants/rad scorpion/rats in the opening of the game).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The only time the slowness of the combat system bothered me in Fallout 1 was in the Boneyard. Other than that, I think they did a fairly good job of keeping the encounters... not too lengthy (unless you flat out attack settlements i mean). This was not the case in F2 where there are quite a few big battles, along with a lot of random encounters involving several factions (who all have to take their turns...).

Speaking of the older games, there's an interview with Tim Cain up on youtube for those who are interested.

I think the interviewer also did an episode on Chris Avellone a while back. Pretty fun if you're interested in the history behind the series.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I seem to remember an early raider fight that was pretty large in FO1. But I may be thinking of something from 2 as they do tend to blend in my mind a bit.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Actually the Adytum fight with the Blades vs Regulators was UN-FREAKING-BEARABLE for me.

I never understood why Fallout 1 and 2 were turn based anyway, since their combat systems didn't have particular depth. :brows:

Would have made more sense to make them RtwP so that combat would have been quicker from my pov, but of course, your mileage may vary on the subject.

:brows: I meant why he used the worlds "I believe" while he is most likely to be a person who has a whole picture of FO:NV. He is one of a few designers who kept communicating with us since BIS boards and...as far as I know, he didn't tell a lie.

oh lol. Alright, I read it all wrong. :)

Actually the Adytum fight with the Blades vs Regulators was UN-FREAKING-BEARABLE for me.

I never understood why Fallout 1 and 2 were turn based anyway, since their combat systems didn't have particular depth. :brows:

Would have made more sense to make them RtwP so that combat would have been quicker from my pov, but of course, your mileage may vary on the subject.

RTwP wasn't really invented when Fallout came out, at least not that I know of. It debuted in Baldur's Gate afaik (at least where RPGs are concerned). Fallout was an attempt to faithfully recreate as much of the table top experience as possible, and pretty much all table top RPGs are turn based after some fashion.

FO3 VATS is slower and clunkier and less interesting than any TB system I've ever played, and that goes back to those grid systems in Star Trail and Blade of Destiny. The only game I can think of with a slower and more ponderous TB system is Wizardy 8, but at least that had a lot of options and possibilities.

Its actually kind of interesting. VATS pretty much destroys the notion that gamers won't play TB system because they are too slow. Just through in exploding heads and flying limbs and assorted nasty bits and gamers will play anything.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It sounds reasonable but why "believe", while you are the project director? ...I guess this is probably a question about developing process. :(

I didn't personally code it, but that is the way it is supposed to behave and appears to behave.

FO3 VATS is slower and clunkier and less interesting than any TB system I've ever played, and that goes back to those grid systems in Star Trail and Blade of Destiny. The only game I can think of with a slower and more ponderous TB system is Wizardy 8, but at least that had a lot of options and possibilities.

Ergh, sorry Wizardry 8 was slower and more ponderous than anything to do with FO3 VATS and the only "options" it had were given to your opponents who could freely move around the battle area while you were stuck with your little party always having to stick right next to one another. Which led to great possibilities like Sieges constantly hitting you with area affect spells while you fought melee mobs closeup, unable to cross the distance between yourself and the Siege so you could attack it because then you'd be surrounded by opponent melee characters on your weak back side stabulating your low HP spellcasters. So your choice was to lose your spellcasters because they got beat up or because they were killed in an infinite barrage of area spells.

I like some things in Wiz 8 but combat wasn't one of those things.