Fallout: New Vegas

Link

Is Jason Bergman the 'overseer' at Bethesda for this project?

I think he's a senior producer or something similar, but yeah, he's the direct connection between Obsidz and Bethsoft as far as I know.

Or at least that's what I got by following his twitter in the vain hope that he would clarify if New Vegas voice acting he's done by usual Bethesda VO actors or by Obsidz's.

So, were combat taunts subtitled in Fallout 3? If they were, what was the trick to enable them? I swear i played it with subtitles on, and don't recall one single subtitle while in combat.

Because in these New Vegas videos we most certainly are reading combat taunts, and it is very good.

So, were combat taunts subtitled in Fallout 3? If they were, what was the trick to enable them? I swear i played it with subtitles on, and don't recall one single subtitle while in combat.

Because in these New Vegas videos we most certainly are reading combat taunts, and it is very good.

They were.

There were to type of subtitles you could enable in Fallout 3, and one of them was the random chatter/banter/combat taunts.

So yeah, nothing new.

They were.

There were to type of subtitles you could enable in Fallout 3, and one of them was the random chatter/banter/combat taunts.

So yeah, nothing new.

Guess i should have taken more time fiddling with the menus then *shrugs*

REALLY looking forward to this. While beth did a reasonable job with FO3 there was certainly a air of them trying TOO hard with the black humor. In FO1 and 2 it just came off naturally and flowed, in FO3 is seemed forced and too obvious. Not surprising however as that happens a lot when a new team takes over a established product from another. I am hoping MCA and the rest will get back in the groove with vegas and the fo 1/2 style of writing. My hopes are high. >_<

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Quick question: is VATS going to be adjusted and modified to make it more on-par with real-time combat? In Fallout 3, real-time became somewhat redundant once your AP recovered, and the system was much more accurate in causing critical hits than real-time; a super mutant ambush could be demolished by entering a ballet of VATS, hide, VATS, hide, VATS, loot, continue. Rather unbalanced, IMO.

I know this will sound weird but I actually wanted to use vats. I was playing as a lightning fingered pistolero despite not being one in FPSs so I was happy to have it at the beginning.

After 100th ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssslooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww-mooooooooooooooooooo death animation and stopping a couple of rockets in my first Mutant fight around lvl 6 or so, I dropped it completely. Later I tried to mod it using existing mods but the best I could get was something like %10 (instead of 90) dr and %8 slow mo (instead of 85 or so)

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

RandomNPC preview.

Got it straight from GameBanshee.

Apparently they noted engine improvements.. good to know. :)

He confirmed that armor wasn’t just about damage resistance this time, that players could deck themselves out in an enemy uniform and bypass the grunts of a hostile faction.

Another interesting bit.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

He confirmed that armor wasn’t just about damage resistance this time, that players could deck themselves out in an enemy uniform and bypass the grunts of a hostile faction.
This was actually a gameplay element intended for Van Buren. As I recall, Speech was going to be broken into two skills, one of which would be Deception, which allowed characters to create and use disguises to avoid combat. There was a lot of talk at the time of removing XP rewards from kills, and so the ability to circumvent enemies was especially appealing.

EDIT: More information on disguises in VB.

Edited by Jackalmonkey

A dull boy.

VATs ain't broke so don't fix it. Just include eye and groin shots.

But then again someone getting shot with a BB gun and having their limbs and head blow off is a little overkill.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

TBh a couple of options for Vats would be welcome. Little things like enabling/disabling kill cam, slow-mo and blur effects (cinematic camera etc) would be nice.

On a similar note, an option to enable/disable extra Dr would be nice. This is supposed to be a RPG after all =]. Choices are important :p

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

VATs ain't broke so don't fix it. Just include eye and groin shots.

VATS is so broken it's beyond fixing.

But as long as no one is forcing me to use it, then it doesn't matter. :facepalm:

edit: if the slowmo could be removed it would help a lot though.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah the only reason i used VATs alot in fallout 3 was because the bad aiming mechanic. Pseudo-iron sights is not iron sights; its pseudo-iron sights.

The weapon buffering should also improve things, but I imagine it will only be apparent with lower-end pc's, and/or during particularly resource intensive combat.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

VATS is so broken it's beyond fixing.

QFT, brother. VATS was a win button. The mechanic had few practical limitations (aside from being bafflingly pointless for CQC) and no drawback or penalty associated with its use. Meanwhile its benefits - a massive DR bonus and a chain of criticals - allowed the player to godmode through the game at virtually any level. (cf. the recent DAC article.)

The only gameplay drawback, really, was the excruciating 5-10 seconds of unskippable slo-mo "carnage."

Violence is funny! Lets all just own up to it! Violence done well is ****ing hilarious. It

A dull boy.

Vault Assisted Targeting System, or something, iirc.

Not that it matters.

But yeah, the violence. There's a certain humor in the ludicrousness of it all, the cyber-spectacle of pinwheeling limbs and whatnot. Plus, I think the transgression of social boundaries, within safe confines, plays a part in the appeal of viedo game violence.

But what gets me in FO3 VATS, is the slo-mo and the repitition.

It's just not that funny. Or interesting. For more than a few minutes.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Close, Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System

I got as tired of limbs exploding off in FALLOUT 3 as I did people slowly being ripped apart by bullets on a critical death in Fallout 1 & 2 (or even the slow as molasses collapse and bleed out animation).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man