Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc, how do you manage...er...any way, thanx.

from http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/fallou.../1097983p2.html

And the new weapon modding system allows you to tweak your favorite weapons with stuff like scopes, bigger magazines, and special ammo -- though once you've modded a weapon, you can't undo it.
(Bold is mine) Even with high repair (or any other appropriate) skill (either that of NPC or PC)? :sweat:

once you've modded a weapon, you can't undo it.

Well that's a bummer... Here I was thinking we could mod the crap out of our guns... :sweat:

I mean why the limitation? It's not like we would be invincible if we could just re-use a weapon mod...

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Well that's a bummer... Here I was thinking we could mod the crap out of our guns... :sweat:

I mean why the limitation? It's not like we would be invincible if we could just re-use a weapon mod...

To make mods a more integral part of the economy (so you have to buy a new mod if you intend to use it on another weapon) and avoid the possibility of switching mods on the fly (like taking out a mod from a weapon during combat and put it onto another weapon)?

To be honest, both explanations don't convince me, so I'll just wait a clarification from Sawyer, provided he has the time and will to give us any.

.... we knew this since the first previews though. :)

Well that's a bummer... Here I was thinking we could mod the crap out of our guns... >_<

To make mods a more integral part of the economy (so you have to buy a new mod if you intend to use it on another weapon) and avoid the possibility of switching mods on the fly (like taking out a mod from a weapon during combat and put it onto another weapon)?

To be honest, both explanations don't convince me, so I'll just wait a clarification from Sawyer, provided he has the time and will to give us any.

.... we knew this since the first previews though. :)

I must have forgotten about that, or I didn't read that bit in the first place...

About switching mods on the fly and such; there will always be powergamers who will use every little opportunity in a game to get the best result, regardless of effort required. I'll admit sometimes I come close to that myself... o:)

BTW, refresh my memory;

- Isn't weapon modding going to be possible only on workbenches?

- Aren't weapon mods specific to weapon?

If that's the case, I don't see the logic at all...

BTW, refresh my memory;

- Isn't weapon modding going to be possible only on workbenches?

- Aren't weapon mods specific to weapon?

If that's the case, I don't see the logic at all...

1) Nope, we've seen a weapon modded on the fly through the pipboy interface during a gameplay video (was it the IGN fiasco that used an earlier build? I don't remember).

2) As far as I understand some mods are specific to weapons, other overlap to various weapons (like silencers and such).

Of course, I'm still waiting for a dev (*hinthint*) to clarify too.

Im sure there will be a mod to fix that in 3 days after release o:)

I dislike the idea that mods exist to 'fix' something... but yeah, 5 days max.

Preceded by a nudity mod ported from Fallout 3, most likely >_<

It's not a "fix", you just disagree with a design decision. Obviously the development team put that limitation in for a reason they thought was valid. Happens all the time, bub :)

As for the weapon mods being one time useable: why not?

Because it takes away the freedom of customization you'd have in the other case. It'll be like "should I use it on this weapon, or wait for a better one?" :p

Or, if you simply want to get rid of that scope or laser sight for whatever reason, you'll need to find another one of the same weapon.

I know, it's not game-breaking or anything, but it seems like an unnecessary annoyance from where I'm standing... :)

I know, it's not game-breaking or anything, but it seems like an unnecessary annoyance from where I'm standing... :)
Yea...in terms of the game-play, it's restrictive since, generally speaking, to differentiate it from character customization, equipment customization is desirably redo-able. From the point of view of setting believability, too, it's odd to see that it's not re-doable even by skilled hands. Both weapons and weapon mods must be scarce, so, a fully functional scope must be precious, for example. In such a world, isn't it natural for the characters in the hostile world to develop skills to make full use of these resources? I don't mind "workbench" kind restriction but I cannot see the point of this restriction. I don't see the point of this restriction and I'd appreciate any explanation behind the design decision.

Another live demo: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266540/

Edit: Pretty much the same as before, but it runs longer 14ish minutes, the touch on a few more details, and they show off the bladed gauntlets, anti material rifle, multiplas, and a few other things.

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

As for the weapon mods being one time useable: why not?

Because it takes away the freedom of customization you'd have in the other case. It'll be like "should I use it on this weapon, or wait for a better one?" :p

Or, if you simply want to get rid of that scope or laser sight for whatever reason, you'll need to find another one of the same weapon.

I know, it's not game-breaking or anything, but it seems like an unnecessary annoyance from where I'm standing... :ermm:

I think it depends on the nature of the modifications. I honestly don't mind having to make some of those choices. In fact, I prefer it that way. You do run into the situation where you hold out indefinitely waiting for THE gun to put the modification on, but that doesn't bother me very much.

Save, see if you like the moded weapon. Reload if you don't.

...and if you do like it, you're stuck with it forever. :ermm:

:p

I think it depends on the nature of the modifications. I honestly don't mind having to make some of those choices. In fact, I prefer it that way. You do run into the situation where you hold out indefinitely waiting for THE gun to put the modification on, but that doesn't bother me very much.

Like Wombat mentioned, character and equipment customization are different things. Skills, for example, are part of C&C (you choose it, you live with it); equipment is not (you can change it anytime).

I'd prefer it stayed that way. :)

Edited by Nemo0071

Save, see if you like the moded weapon. Reload if you don't.
And do you think it's new advice to any RPG enthusiast to visit here? :p

Actually, that's not our point.

PS The last time I checked his twitter, the lead designer was talking to insect... :ermm:

In case anyone missed it, in this interview producer Larry Liberty talked a bit about how accuracy and damage are calculated in Fallout : New Vegas.

Since our friends at No Mutants Allowed have been so kind and have already done a transcript of that answer, I'll post it here:

What we've completely overhauled - real-time combat. The way you actually calculate damage, the way you aim, the way input works on the controller. We found - in Fallout 3 - that there were actually times where you could miss inputs and overall it could feel unresponsive. So we've tried to make it still an RPG, but through weapon tiering to make it feel appropriate. So if you get a tier 1 gun at the beginning of the game it's not going to feel nerfed and weird and you're not going to aim at something and have bullets fly all over the place if it's a rifle. If you were to somehow magically get a tier 5 weapon at the beginning of the game, you would actually feel a little bit of that weird RPG feel, where "Hmmm, I'm not high-level, I'm missing and it feels weird." We wanted to get rid of that and overall make it feel more responsive and a more compelling first-person shooter.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I think this interview wasn't posted yet.

Also:

TheEldestScroll said: Looks like a fallout 3 expansion.. Going to be mediocre, because I KNOW that even if its great and everyone loves it, Bethesda would have put in ten times more effort to keep the series fresh, interesting, and innovative. I just hope this is something to tide fans over for the next Elder Scrolls!

HHHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHH

Why you read comments Oner? You're into masochism?
Why not? It's one of precious possible customers' opinion who might/might not support the game financially. :luck:

Jokes aside, just in case some people missed it, DAC kindly listed E3 videos here.

Why you read comments Oner? You're into masochism?
Why not? It's one of precious possible customers' opinion who might/might not support the game financially. :lol:

I can understand that kind of reasoning if you're a developer but... as a gamer I can't read them, really... especially on GameTrailers.

They're just.. so.. stupid.... :luck: