We need a sequel!

I'd love a sequel set in the "AP universe", but I wouldn't necessarily want Thorton as the protagonist. Instead, what if Thorton becomes the handler of the new PC? That way it's still sort of "Thorton's story", but without having to deal with the level issues (ie. if you carried over Thorton from AP1, he starts off at a high level).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree. Bioware listened to all the complaints and stripped out all the RPG elements in Mass Effect 2. Then it turned into a standard third-person shooter. -_-

True, but they also made the Combat pretty engrossing. Nothing like opening up on an enemy with the super machine gun.

See thats the hard part. What should they focus on to improve? Is it the RPG mechanics or the stealth/action gameplay parts?

I suppose you can say all the above cause you'd expect every to try and achieve perfection, amirite!? (i hope so)

1. Fine-tune the RPG mechanics: Tweak the skill set and level progression somewhat.

2. Rework the action portion. New models, better AI routines, better use of the physics engine (no, thorton ragdolling when he dies DOES NOT COUNT). Like what ME2 did.

3. Rework the stealth portion. Make stealthing harder, but more "realistic" in that the routes you can choose to infiltrate would match: ie; aqueduct or sewer (pretty standard infiltration route, yah?_, airvents like in mission impossible. You could even disguise yourself and bluff your way into the place (with appropriate clothing, not bluffing your way into the embassy with your combat gear, weapons and stuff on... come on).

4. Rework the tech portion. Doorhaxin, Computer haxin, Safehaxin.. all those minigames are golden (tweak controls tho). You could add some more minigames in the form of long-distance computer haxin (like from your safehouse to mine information that could be sold for money.. like those halbech emails you all stupidly sent to scarlet to get in her pants!). Think shadow run for the genesis if your wondering how it would be done. Also, add more gadgets and an ability to upgrade them since your a super smart tech expert (like making your stun-gun more effective, longer range.. etc).

Also, I seem to remember a game that came out way back in the mid to late 90s called Spycraft.. anybody else hear of it? Maybe AP could reference that game for information or something.. :|

better AI routines, better use of the physics engine. Like what ME2 did.

Remind me again. Because ME2's AI was very simplistic (KILL KILL KILL!) and I don't recall physics being used for... well... ANYTHING.

and an ability to upgrade them since your a super smart tech expert

You can already buy upgrades for them in the shop.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

better AI routines, better use of the physics engine. Like what ME2 did.

Remind me again. Because ME2's AI was very simplistic (KILL KILL KILL!) and I don't recall physics being used for... well... ANYTHING.

and an ability to upgrade them since your a super smart tech expert

You can already buy upgrades for them in the shop.

They certainly made the feel of ME2's combat better, but then again they completely ditched the RPG mechanics to do so and ditched the RPG feeling of it. Just plays like any of those (to me) crappy TPS games out there.

Yeah, was'nt much better than the previous games on the AI department. As for physics... Ragdolls?

Unless I remember it entirely wrong ( game crashes on alt-tabbing :< ) if you put points into the technology tree you do some "extra customizing" on your weapons and armor.

I think the areas that need most improvement as of now is bugfixes and improving the AI scripts. And making SMG's useable in 1 gun configuration, instead of aikimbo, and improving the AR skill for PC (hate how you loose your lined up critical shot if you move the mouse..)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

As for physics... Ragdolls?

AP got that. So I was kind of fishing for the "better" part... cause I don't recall it being used for anything else whatsoever, which even AP does...

Unless I remember it entirely wrong if you put points into the technology tree you do some "extra customizing" on your weapons and armor.

Yeah, that's just bonus damage/recoil control/endurance though. You can get actual gadget upgrades (range, damage, capacity) in the shop... (I never recall the name of that place).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

True, but Mass Effect had more of it, whatwith all the biotics.

Clearinghouse.

You can also get some extra gadget slots from it.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'd like conversations to be more dangerous in a sequel. It'd be awesome if there was a very real threat of the protagonist being shot dead in a convo-cutscene if someone pulls a gun on them. And, yes, that would mean replaying sections again if there was no checkpoint right at the start.

That would be the point! >:D

Add some risk! It'd be harder to give someone the benefit of the doubt if you knew they could actually kill you if you've made a mistake in trusting them.

Would have to be some optional hardcore mode I reckon, I don't think most people would find that very entertaining - but I like the id

How do you mean? They're pretty much mutually exclusive, can't have 'em both as I see it.

How do you mean? They're pretty much mutually exclusive, can't have 'em both as I see it.

i mean being able to consistently hit what i'm aiming at from the start.

the way i see it a trained agent should at least be somewhat familiar with all the weapons.

as for leveling the weapons i was thinking something like getting better recoil control, faster reloading, being able to modify the guns inner-workings

maybe even some weapon specific things like blasting open doors with a shotgun

edit: i just realized i basically described the weapon leveling that's already in alpha protocol

so i guess the only thing i'd change is restricting internal modifications till a higher level and making the base combat better

Edited by broham

i mean being able to consistently hit what i'm aiming at from the start.

the way i see it a trained agent should at least be somewhat familiar with all the weapons.

as for leveling the weapons i was thinking something like getting better recoil control, faster reloading, being able to modify the guns inner-workings

maybe even some weapon specific things like blasting open doors with a shotgun

No thanks.

I like having to decide whether to put points into improving my guns, otherwise risk not being able to hit anything from even a foot away.

I have Modern Warfare 2 I can play if I decide I want to shoot things based entirely on my skills with a joystick.

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

DX vs. DX:IW.

I rest my case.

^

i mean being able to consistently hit what i'm aiming at from the start. The way i see it a trained agent should at least be somewhat familiar with all the weapons.

To be honest, you already have a basic proficency with all weapons at the beginning of this game (if you invest no points). Mike can hit any and everything right from the start it's just that the conditions under which he can do so are severely limited unless he's more experienced. (A pistol shot won't necessarily hit unless he's taken the time to line up a critical shot, etc)

Which, well, makes sense. A basic proficency implies that Mike's only really "experienced" on the firing range. Since he's not used to taking shots under fire (at least initally), everything's going to be out of wack.

That said, I do think that all the "classes" should have started out with more AP in their respective fields. Or perhaps have been given some inherent bonuses to further differentiate themselves from each other. Soldiers getting a flat bonus to all weapon skills, for example.

i mean being able to consistently hit what i'm aiming at from the start. The way i see it a trained agent should at least be somewhat familiar with all the weapons.

To be honest, you already have a basic proficency with all weapons at the beginning of this game (if you invest no points). Mike can hit any and everything right from the start it's just that the conditions under which he can do so are severely limited unless he's more experienced. (A pistol shot won't necessarily hit unless he's taken the time to line up a critical shot, etc)

Which, well, makes sense. A basic proficency implies that Mike's only really "experienced" on the firing range. Since he's not used to taking shots under fire (at least initally), everything's going to be out of wack.

That said, I do think that all the "classes" should have started out with more AP in their respective fields. Or perhaps have been given some inherent bonuses to further differentiate themselves from each other. Soldiers getting a flat bonus to all weapon skills, for example.

As I agree to certain level, much of the thrill resides on a recruit, having "classes" is fine, but still, it has to be as it is.. the more you progress, the more you are an expert,... IMHO, this is one of the special features of AP... same applies to assassin, ninja, or whatever class you want to build... it is beyond character creation, but within character development as you evolve in the game...

The problem with a sequel like this is two things

1. It can go completely wrong and end up like DX: Invisible War

2. Or it can improve things but take away a lot of RPG elements like Mass Effect 2

The problem is I liked being universally combat capable in Mass Effect 2, since as a Soldier I could be just as proficient with a sniper rifle as I could with an AR, shotgun, or pistol, etc. etc.

As it is here, you have to dump points into weapon skills in order to not suck with them. So you trade universal combat over stat RPG based combat, etc. etc.

Honestly I'm on the fence both ways. Regardless, I'd like greater customization of Thorton, preferably full face and armor look customs, and better visual weapon upgrades.

Ironically I hated how every other weapon I got in Mass Effect 1 was a reskin with the same look. The designers did the same here yet when ME2 came out there was a vastly diminished amount of weapons available and I suddenly missed all the guns from ME1. So as far as I'm concerned, keep the weapon reskins in, but perhaps put in more new looks rather than a new paint job for every single one.

more guns and customization please :) and dont change the look, i love the borderlands style, and more hubs next time :p

Some Trolls, arnt looking for anything logical, they cant be questioned, talked to, reasoned or negosiated with, some trolls just want watch the forums burn

more guns and customization please :) and dont change the look, i love the borderlands style, and more hubs next time :p

borderlands style?

actually, that's not a bad idea. i'd love to see more stylized graphics. among other things it'd make it easier to suspend disbelief with the more impossible abilities, like shadow operative, if the game looked like an animated spy movie rather then a live action one.

I'm up for a sequel. Here's what could use improvement:

Remove the visible reputation meter.

Reduce the skill curve for weapons - they're too weak at low skill levels.

Increase the impact of the various weapon stats, and clearly define what each one does.

Improve the plot branching at the end of the game. The branching in the middle is superb, but the end is fairly one-track.

More reactivity based on skills. The few times I had options available to me based on my skills felt *really* awesome, and I'd love to see more of it.

Remove the post-mission evaluation, I like uncovering people's reactions to my actions through dialogue, having it spoonfed to me after each mission is annoying.

Add alternate ways to beat bosses, bullet-sponge bosses don't mesh very well with stealth characters.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies