Hesitate to buy the game base on review, patch coming for tech bugs?

Did you add the

OneFrameThreadLag=False

.ini tweak or just the

UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false

Both should eliminate most peoples lag/mouse problems Blackwolfe.

Cesko, you may be right that the controls are much nicer, but a PC will always look better. With luck the patch will make the controls a little more PC friendly.

I'm not playing for the graphics, but for the experience and I played on pc also with a controller, but the feel wasn't great and now on the 360 I would give the game a higher rating, just because it plays better

Indeed, yesterday a friend was playing on PC... not a nice experience. The Xbox version has got less bugs and glitches, plays smoothly and if you don't like the game, you can return it with a full refund... of course, in the Xbox version there is no modding, no console cheating commands and cost almost the double...

Edited by edgarcuk

Thanks all for the advice! It sounds like there isn't as much technical glitches as what the reviews are making it out to be. This has given me the confidence in purchasing the game and see for myself.

Thanks all!

For some perspective - AP is *nowhere* as bad as KOTOR2. There is no missing content or half-arsed endgame here, and the game itself is not as buggy as K2 either.
Depends on your definition of missing. The G22 subplot.. :)

I agree, I get the impression that the game started out to be MUCH bigger in scope, but unlike KOTOR2 they started cutting back early (Perhaps thinking DLC or expansion or sequel) and thus it does not have empty holes and bad ending.

We know they cut the option to choose your clothing (sharp dressed man trailer shows tux on the boat), so it only makes sense that other things were cut as well.

As it is I really like the game (3 playthroughs so far), but I do get the impression that there were some things cut.

But that is the process of game development, not all the goodies get to stay.

to OP: Alpha is sounding pretty buggy and lacking polish, maybe you should wait for the Beta!

Myself I've just purchased the game on faith (waiting for it to download), I haven't been disappointed with an Obsidian game yet.

Kotor II was almost a classic game... well it was kind of like a half developed, stunted foetus of a classic game that Obsidian pumped out and dropped straight on its head before moving right on to its next project, NWN2...

Both games were very impressive in terms of their complexity and the sheer volume of content. But, both games seemed to run out of whatever it was that they needed to keep developing .. whether it was money, time, brains or motivation.

Whatever 'unrealised potential' that these games had, they both still represented an above average standard of value for money in games. So as soon as I saw that this had been released I was pretty much reaching for my wallet ._.

Maybe this game will suck eggs but maybe now that they're developing their own IP they can start making enough money to actually finish one of their games and that would really be something to see!

Indeed, most people that are complaining generally sign up to the forum, make one post in a random thread and do not bother coming back. I wouldn't mind, but they never back up the complaints they have.

Not even I say AP is flawless, but it is a decent game, every game gets complaints upon release, especially if they are highly anticipated. Many Morrowind fans freaked out with Oblivion complaining about almost every aspect about it, Was still a decent enough game though, even though it has over 1000 bugs.

AP has less than twenty (So far that I counted) and I would say only seven are important.

Edited by Kasabian

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

For some perspective - AP is *nowhere* as bad as KOTOR2. There is no missing content or half-arsed endgame here, and the game itself is not as buggy as K2 either.
Depends on your definition of missing. The G22 subplot.. :lol:

If you go by that kind of definition then every game in the world has massive missing content.

About 50% of Deus Ex was cut (moon, white house, go on...)... and look at that game!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Depends on your definition of missing. The G22 subplot.. :ermm:

If you go by that kind of definition then every game in the world has massive missing content.

At least most of them could pretend it wasn't there to begin with.

Thanks all for the advice! It sounds like there isn't as much technical glitches as what the reviews are making it out to be. This has given me the confidence in purchasing the game and see for myself.

Thanks all!

^ That was me, the OP.

Don't bother he clearly came here to complain

Indeed, most people that are complaining generally sign up to the forum, make one post in a random thread and do not bother coming back. I wouldn't mind, but they never back up the complaints they have.

Not even I say AP is flawless, but it is a decent game, every game gets complaints upon release, especially if they are highly anticipated. Many Morrowind fans freaked out with Oblivion complaining about almost every aspect about it, Was still a decent enough game though, even though it has over 1000 bugs.

AP has less than twenty (So far that I counted) and I would say only seven are important.

?

Er. I appreciated the help in the threads and replied with my thanks on the previous page?

I don't know why my post count is now 0. I've had an account since Obsidian was formed, used to post in the KOTOR II forums as well, but it looks like my account got wiped for some reason.

Regardless, thanks for the info. I've just picked up a copy of AP.

As a PC version owner, I was going to give up after a few days until I was able to over come the mouse issue. Once, I was able to fix that, I started to enjoy the game. Shame, I have to run the cheesemx(SP) fix everytime to get it to work properly.

I am still on my first playthrough and I am thoroughly enjoying the game.

My only gripes are it takes ages to load up to start with and to load levels or checkpoints. I usually go an make a cup of coffee. (I have a fairly beefy machine that plays Crisis on max settings, but AP seems to lag a bit. Still when it loads it's awesome.)

Occasionally if i die or load a checkpoint there are no enemies and i can't continue, but i just reload and it's fine then.

Opening the PDA takes awhile, as does loading the computer or Exiting the Safehouse or Opening the Weapons Locker. (well you get the idea).

Despite this, i'd recommend the game to anyone who likes Spy Stories. Seems like so long since i played a spy RPG (Spy Craft).

AP is WIN.

Unfortunately negativity of any kind will be quashed by the absurdly devoted.

This game is bad. Truly bad on many levels. The controls and graphics are unforgivably dated for what I had assumed to be a AAA title. While graphics aren't particularly important to me, they are to everyone else. Even overlooking them, the game's opening chapter is bland, hacking minigames annoying. I couldn't get beyond the first 30 minutes of the game. Cry foul and gripe at me for giving up so early. Fact remains, if I can't stomach the first 30 minutes of the game, something is seriously wrong. Anyone who works in entertainment knows the first chapter is always the most crucial in terms of sales. If a book doesn't grab its reader within the first few pages, most are going to set it aside no matter how great the ending may be.

Now, I said this game is bad on multiple levels. By that I mean this is most likely Obsidian's death knell. I don't know how Obsidian is doing financially, but I imagine a lot was riding on Alpha Protocol. It will not sell well. It will not be a cult hit. The game is a flop. This is bad because I think the folks at Obsidian are truly talented. They made Mask of the Betrayer, after all, and many of them worked at Black Isle.

I have my fingers crossed that New Vegas will be enough to keep Obsidian afloat. It would be sad to see them collapse.

This game is not bad at all. People who played it and not liked it are usualy 12 year olds. Game is not polished, not perfect, but still fun to play (read gamers critics on gamespot). If you have enjoyed Deus ex, you will like this one. I have finished this game four times in a week. And I will play it again.

There are issues, that somewhat limit the gaming experiance, but none of them are gamebreaking, if you are capable to adept to the situation at hand. Fair 7.5 game with wasted potential for epic game. If only....

This game is bad. Truly bad on many levels. The controls and graphics are unforgivably dated for what I had assumed to be a AAA title. While graphics aren't particularly important to me, they are to everyone else. Even overlooking them, the game's opening chapter is bland, hacking minigames annoying. I couldn't get beyond the first 30 minutes of the game. Cry foul and gripe at me for giving up so early. Fact remains, if I can't stomach the first 30 minutes of the game, something is seriously wrong. Anyone who works in entertainment knows the first chapter is always the most crucial in terms of sales. If a book doesn't grab its reader within the first few pages, most are going to set it aside no matter how great the ending may be.

Now, I said this game is bad on multiple levels. By that I mean this is most likely Obsidian's death knell. I don't know how Obsidian is doing financially, but I imagine a lot was riding on Alpha Protocol. It will not sell well. It will not be a cult hit. The game is a flop. This is bad because I think the folks at Obsidian are truly talented. They made Mask of the Betrayer, after all, and many of them worked at Black Isle.

I have my fingers crossed that New Vegas will be enough to keep Obsidian afloat. It would be sad to see them collapse.

I think you will be quashed, not because your negative, but because your negative after only playing a game for 30 minutes!

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!

So you registered just to post this? The graphics aint bad. Sure, the game doesnt look as good as for example crysis. There are alot of people that bought, played and actually like the game despite the bugs and the ugly(although I'd say good) graphics.

If you cant play past the first 30 minutes of a game then something is not seriously wrong, its more the fact that you cant be arsed to try. Tons of people that hated the game at first actually changed their mind once they actually started playing the game properly.

Its good enough to get a sequel in my mind, hopefully one with a different graphics engine, I dont really like UE3... it has too many flaws.

And as for absurdly devoted? People dont have to be even devoted to disagree with your post.

Edited by blackwolfe

I'm beginning to think that all these complaints about graphics are actually over the textures loading in the middle of the game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You mean after a load, when you see the horrible texture goo for a second before it 'sets'? Heh, imagine if the game was like that. That would justify the "ten years old game" comments. ;)

I'm finding myself care less and less about people who quit after 30 minutes and complain - mainly because I've already put in 3 playthroughs and I want to start another one. there will always be many, many people who miss out on great stuff and let themselves become more and more impatient.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see what this means in terms of sales. Forget about the 'tone' of the reviews - reviewers and media outlets will make 180 degree turns day in day out on their judgments of a game. What's going to be important is whether the numbers will convince those who actually have a say in production.

I'd say that overall AP is pretty damn good. It certainly has its flaws, but it's still a fun and compelling game nonetheless. Particularly the reactivity by the story is amazing. I don't recall ever playing a game that had so many permutations accounted for all the way through. So while it's definitely not all that it could have been had it received some proper polish, the game is well worth the 50 bucks IMO.