Good job Obsidz. I feel that AP delivers on the actual substance of a WRPG in ways that other recent games lack. It's major praise to say that I may never do another run of ME2 now, and that's more or less where I'm at. While AP falls short of my ideal game, it's about as close as any developer has been. There's plenty of Monday morning quarterbacking to be done on areas for improvement (some of which I mentioned over a year ago), but I'll save that for another post.

I really think that Obsidian deserve a lot of praise for Alpha Protocol. Despite what sounds like a pretty tumultuous development history, they've succeeded in making a game where story, characters and player choice aren't just interesting, but integral to the experience. Frankly, the quality of the writing on display is top-notch, and makes BioWare and other contemporaries look childish. I'm glad for once a game doesn't insult my intelligence. The voice acting also deserves a lot of praise, with characters all cast perfectly and nary a poor performance to be heard.

I can't say that it's perfect, of course. There are some issues with balance and AI, and the visuals aren't stunning, but all of that stuff totally gets the job done, and all the complaints in the press about the game have been, for the most part, totally exaggerated and unfounded. I've always been a fan of Obsidian despite the problems some of their games have had, and I haven't been let down this time. Here's hoping that New Vegas turns out to be a true sequel to Fallout 1 and 2, and not a hideous abortion of a game like Fallout 3.

Edited by sea

Yeah my feelings about the game are similar.

A fantastic Action RPG with a dialog system that gives FO2 and Bloodlines a run for its money.

There are some balancing issues like stealth being too godlike and AI issues, but I feel that somehow they don't get in the way that much.