So I picked Alpha Protocol up earlier today and played it for about an hour. Within that hour I learned I didn't really like the stealth stuff but did like the combat. It may not be the best shooter in the world but it's fun enough for me. So I deleted my stealth character and plan to start the game with a full on soldier. I need help on deciding which skills to take. I know I'm going to take assault rifles, toughness, and technical aptitude but other than those I'm not sure. I was thinking of adding some CQC for those occasions when the AI decides to charge.

A few things about me I think you should all know before making suggestions. The way I play games I don't really like to use more than one weapon. Throughout all of my soldier run in Mass Effect 1/2 I never changed from the assault rifle except for a few times to use a sniper rifle. That's one of the reasons I only have one combat skill. If I were going to add another weapon it'd probably be the shotgun but if I take CQC I don't really see the point. I mean if they're close enough for the shotty to do damage I can just rush them and punch them in the face, consequences be damned.

I was thinking of taking sabotage but another thing I don't like to do is having to active commands especially with AP's clunky menu system. I can see the advantage of having it but I'm not sure I'd use it to its fullest ability and those would be wasted points.

Anyway I'm sure by reading this it seems I have a firm grasp on what I want to do but that's not true at all. I change my mind about classes and skills all the time in RPGs so let me know what skills you think would be good.

So I picked Alpha Protocol up earlier today and played it for about an hour. Within that hour I learned I didn't really like the stealth stuff but did like the combat. It may not be the best shooter in the world but it's fun enough for me. So I deleted my stealth character and plan to start the game with a full on soldier. I need help on deciding which skills to take. I know I'm going to take assault rifles, toughness, and technical aptitude but other than those I'm not sure. I was thinking of adding some CQC for those occasions when the AI decides to charge.

A few things about me I think you should all know before making suggestions. The way I play games I don't really like to use more than one weapon. Throughout all of my soldier run in Mass Effect 1/2 I never changed from the assault rifle except for a few times to use a sniper rifle. That's one of the reasons I only have one combat skill. If I were going to add another weapon it'd probably be the shotgun but if I take CQC I don't really see the point. I mean if they're close enough for the shotty to do damage I can just rush them and punch them in the face, consequences be damned.

I was thinking of taking sabotage but another thing I don't like to do is having to active commands especially with AP's clunky menu system. I can see the advantage of having it but I'm not sure I'd use it to its fullest ability and those would be wasted points.

Anyway I'm sure by reading this it seems I have a firm grasp on what I want to do but that's not true at all. I change my mind about classes and skills all the time in RPGs so let me know what skills you think would be good.

This is after one playthrough with a stealth pistol char, now playing soldier on hard (1/3 done), so take it with a grain of salt.

AR, Toughness, Technical maxed.

2 levels of Sabotage for Breaking and Entering.

5 levels of Stealth for Master Awareness.

The rest in CQC.

Equips:

Level 3 AR with 4 accuracy/stability mods sacrificing some mag size (thinking of Samuel AR for max benefits to stability, which also negates lower mag size issue.)

Silenced pistol/tranq rounds without skill investment for stealth missions/friendly infiltration missions.

Advanced Utility Armor with all damage resistance mods - 15+10+10+5% damage resistance, +10 endurance, -2 stealth.

Additional armor mods for specific situations:

Ammo Netting to start with more ammo, Printed Circuit mods for easier hacking, Digital Camo mods for easier sneaking.

Level 3 med kits.

Edited by acrh2

Assault rifles and toughness are the main skills, the rest is personal preference. Tech aptitude *will* provide general combat benefits, so if your goal is to resolve most situations by shooting people with the AR that's not a bad idea.

Edited by Cl_Flushentityhero

In first playthrough I used shotgun as backup weapon for my solider and it was ok. Mostly used it only with room sweep active, and to conserve some AR ammo.

But in second playthrough I'm having a lot of sun with sub-machine guns. At short, short-medium range they are pretty brutal if you use controlled bursts. Good sustained fire compared to AR, and great stability for when on run, make them good complement for AR, which should be used for far away enemies. They are still OK, if you don't chose them as specialization too.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

I found the SMG worthless for some reason on hard difficulty. I hit enemies with blind fire as much as aiming with short bursts. They wouldn't die unless I got a perfect headshot or hit them 15 times.

Edited by Spydude

One thing I noticed when playing with SMGs is that they are bad if enemy is behind cover. Due to spread nature of their bullets, expect 1/2 of the bullets to miss the target and hit cover. That's why they should be use offensively.

It's also a reason why only boss against which SMGs where worthless for me was Leland (on normal difficulty).

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.