company haters

Then again, trolls are unpredictable and totally out of my reach when it comes to understandable motivations. :p
Now you're starting to think like me. :sorcerer:

Which would make you a horrible freak of nature, so change your ways while you can, fool!

I'm already a horrible freak of nature, I mean, I made a cannibal joke with a girl that I like, you can't really get more freaky than that. :lol:

But you are the first to complain that the guy didn't post the same about KOTORII without even knowing the circumstances.

The image that comes into people's mind of Obsidian? Yeah, it's that of a buggy games developer.

Not a totally undeserved one, but also one that doesn't take into account the general bugginess of other AAA RPG developers like Bethesda (Fallout 3 was a nightmare made of stuttering and crashes on PC, and as far as I've heard, Oblivion shared the same problems).

The world isn't america? Oh my, never knew about that!

Guess I never noticed I live outside of the USA, :p .

And yeah, I know reviews on european mags were generally above average. I have to wonder, though, if Alpha Protocol's target market was the niche/RPG enthusiast kind of market that praised the game.

And note, again, that I mentioned 'major gaming sites', those like IGN and Gamespot. And yeah, my feeling is that, like it or not, they do have a large base and their reviews are quite influent. How much? That I don't know.

1. Kotor2. Where did I talk about KOTOR2? (Or did you not mean me?)

2. Yep, but also great storytellers. The problem here is, that it has them because of their products. And they are a fact! Not so much an anonymus commentator which will be seen as a fact by people who skim through the sites and magazines.

3. Well, that does not break the language barrier. Especially people generally listen to magazines and sites from their own country first. Anyway, not important actually. Forget it.

4. agree about Bethesda.

well us in europe love the game, seems only american reviwers that are on the gaming industry pay rolls hate the game

im just glad ps3 version was solid :p that i thank obsidian so much for

Some Trolls, arnt looking for anything logical, they cant be questioned, talked to, reasoned or negosiated with, some trolls just want watch the forums burn

Might be onto something Kotvhtchie, I am from Vienna and I love the game. :D

I have not seen any bad reviews of it here either, but perhaps I am not looking hard enough.

Edited by Kasabian

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

well us in europe love the game, seems only american reviwers that are on the gaming industry pay rolls hate the game

im just glad ps3 version was solid :) that i thank obsidian so much for

To be honest, I find this offensive. I keep getting this impression that there is a heavy bias from some, who try to categorize on nationality along with the implication that some how American is there fore inferior. I think this is wrong on many levels.

One of the ironies of this post is that the reviewers, the journalists I know who work for these major publications are often times non-americans. Many of the major publications are multi-national. Game Spot for example operates in both the US and UK. Eurogamer gave the game a 7 out of ten, the German version an 8 out of 10. Reading the user reviews from the regions shows just as many varied responses as their North American counterparts. The point is that there is no great divide between the two continents, and it isnt so "black and white" what one can identify "american" reviews against those in europe, especially when the review sites you call American might have been written and reviewed by a European staff.

Some like the game, some do not, but I believe most recognize that the title needs polish and some tweaking. This is not uncommon.

im just glad ps3 version was solid :) that i thank obsidian so much for

To be honest, I find this offensive. I keep getting this impression that there is a heavy bias from some, who try to categorize on nationality along with the implication that some how American is there fore inferior. I think this is wrong on many levels.

One of the ironies of this post is that the reviewers, the journalists I know who work for these major publications are often times non-americans. Many of the major publications are multi-national. Game Spot for example operates in both the US and UK. Eurogamer gave the game a 7 out of ten, the German version an 8 out of 10. Reading the user reviews from the regions shows just as many varied responses as their North American counterparts. The point is that there is no great divide between the two continents, and it isnt so "black and white" what one can identify "american" reviews against those in europe, especially when the review sites you call American might have been written and reviewed by a European staff.

Some like the game, some do not, but I believe most recognize that the title needs polish and some tweaking. This is not uncommon.

this is opinion, just like how the american reviewers have there's and you have yours, i could in turn feel offended that you couldnt accept my opinion of review sites ...so please step the **** back from me with your bull****

Some Trolls, arnt looking for anything logical, they cant be questioned, talked to, reasoned or negosiated with, some trolls just want watch the forums burn

The big concern is that, if this guy goes and makes a big rant, and claims he's not proud of working on the game, there is likely some sour grapes somewhere.

I don't think this is just some guy that is disappointed with the direction of the game. This is a guy that was probably let go from the company and feels he was treated unfairly. In other words, someone with a bone to pick.

JMO.

It is speculation, nothing more, no one can say for sure.

At the end of the day does it matter if it was or wasn't? Not like coming our with those comments affects or changes anything. It was pointless, and the guy was wrong anyway, AP turned out to be a fairly decent game.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

On the same tone, as the other OP supposed, perhaps the guy wasn't in KOTOR2, and he was only involved in AP, that means that such a "developer" has a bad job history, only 1 project with Obsidian... perhaps he was truly committed, perhaps he was honest, perhaps, perhaps... only suppositions that must be answer by the source, which in this case, does not give any reassurance of his existence... a good troll? a resented employee, worst for him since he's in a very difficult position, risking his current job but at the same time unable to say his name... terrible and stupid move in these times when this game is under fire, perhaps he wanted his 5 minutes of fame... but sadly he cannot enjoy it, with such an idiotic move, no wonder why Obsidian let him go... or perhaps he's from another company? or perhaps... what is not a "perhaps" is the fact that you cannot give credibility to a gossip.

I work with the software development industry and I've been involved in game development cycles, some points he mentioned seems logical and valid, but also lacks of the points of story development, animation mechanics, writing, concept art and whatnot, he seems more like a software developer ( I mean, a member whose tasks are limited to coding) than a PM or even a PL, the citations of work politics is not different from another job... did he mention why AvP shouldn't be scrapped?, did he mention any interaction with the writers, the animation team, the art team?... what makes it plausible is the cliche of any development project (failure of product delivery due to bad project management because the PM is well connected the stakeholders and stockholders)... for example, in these forums, this thread the OP explains technical topics in terms art direction and you know he knows what he's talking about... not like the "tired developer" whose comments seems more like a toilet pub whining after 4 pints of ale...

Edited by edgarcuk

im just glad ps3 version was solid ;) that i thank obsidian so much for

this is opinion, just like how the american reviewers have there's and you have yours, i could in turn feel offended that you couldnt accept my opinion of review sites ...so please step the **** back from me with your bull****

Your tone of response is noted, though a bit childish and immature. Can you at least admit that Eurogamer's own scathing review of AP was done by Christian Donlan, who just so happens to be from your own country? European user comment's are also not all singing the praises of AP. Might you also admit that Destructoids own Jim Sterling who gave the game a 2/10 is from the UK? That Greg Howson of the BBNEWs (if you are in the UK you know what that is) network rated the game a 2/5.

My point stands, not entirely of opinion, but of actual fact. The fact being that many professional reviewers come from all over the world, especially Europe and Canada, even though they may write for IGN, Gamespot or any other website/magazine you wish to take aim at.

=)

I'm wondering what position he was within the company, does anyone know?

I could understand it if he's a QA (since I am one) but seriously I wouldn't go as far to slander a product that was technically still under NDA. What makes me think he's a QA is that after about a full year working on the one title, you end up REALLY annoyed with it.

One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone is who they say they are on the internet. ;) If this is true I'm sure more information about the development of Alpha Protocol will be released with time.

After seeing the game in action I'm personally waiting for it to hit the $30-40 range and hopefully have a few patches out by then. The general consensus seems to be that Alpha Protocol is a great game (story, dialog, etc wise) that is hindered by technical issues and some mechanic choices which already makes part of the original comment by the "employee" moot.

To be honest. I didn't want to be offensive. It was just abour that the game was different reviewed in other countrys. It has probably more to do with the gamers of a certain country other than reviewers. There are a lot of rpg gamers in Germany, Vienna, Swiss for example.

Sorry, anyway.

:D

More seriously, though, I'm staggered by the disparity in "general gaming" sites between the U.S. and Europe in this. Giantbomb pretty much mirrored IGN and Gamestop on the matter. European "general gaming" reviews are more in line with what the U.S. RPG sites are writing (AFAICT, as I'm not following TOO closely.)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Why are you surprised? It wouldn't make any sense to comment. People that want to see the bad side of things will believe this dev no matter what anyone else says, and it'll just look like mudslinging.

Why are you surprised? It wouldn't make any sense to comment. People that want to see the bad side of things will believe this dev no matter what anyone else says, and it'll just look like mudslinging.

not really, why wouldnt they comment to uphold the integrity of the company???

They wouldn't know if this dev is a real dev that left or a troll, anyway. And what do they say? "Chris Parker is a real smart guy, we work hard here at Obsidian, honest!"?

"anonymous devs" with an axe to grind - it's happened before over the last few years, it'll happen again. *shrug*

I think Chris Parker is a pretty cool guy, eh produces gaems and doesn't afraid of anon bloggers.

Not to mention that, even if true, it's pretty possible that from Parker's point of view it was the anon dev being unreasonable.

You're learning young padawan, +50 XP.

Kudos to that guy. For successfully trolling not only users, but several internet gaming sites. Bravo.

I thought it was obvious it was a hoax. All they did was come up with a lie about the game (unhappy dev! That's believable right?), sprinkle some truthiness on it, and bam, you have a troll.

It's sad this hoax was so successful. Various sites really should reexample how they do things, as this is about as unprofessional as one gets. This doesn't even count as a rumor. It's like like they knew someone on the inside who's giving them info. It's not even "A friend of a friend says this"

If you can't confirm the source, then don't go assuming it's someone on the team.