Media coverage

Doing some googling, I came across some sites highlighting the "tired developer" comment in Joystiq:

play.tm

combo.com

destructoid

What catch my attention is since the poster is anonymous and the comments cannot be checked as legit, there are some online sites, especially destructoid that gives coverage and "credibility" to those comments.

It seems that there's a campaign to disqualify this game, why give coverage to such comments?, since the source is not reliable... why none of those sites give coverage to another companies whose forums are plagued with complains (bioware for DAO in the xbox technical forums, for example)?...

Something is not right here, perhaps Obsidian is not doing a good PR...

Here's the way it is.

If someone posts something on the internet, most people take it at face value, much like they do if the media reports something. The reason for this is that people are stupid.

While the anonymous post in question may be the opinion of a former AP developer, we'll never know for sure as there is no credible evidence that the anonymous poster was in fact a developer.

I have noticed that the majority of complaints that reviewers had with AP (framerate issues, graphical issues, animation issues, combat mechanics issues, A.I. issues, etc.) were present in several other games such as The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. However, all those games were highly received by the same reviewers that lambasted AP. Whether or not the reviewers had a personal grudge against Sega or Obsidian is uncertain, however, the hypocrisy is.

Let's put a smile on that face!

Anonymous poster said this and a gaming site takes it as fact?

I would be embarrassed to use that as a story to be quite frank, how nieve are they? It could be anyone that said it, me, you my pet dog.

Do not get me started on Dragon age, each patch has made the game more and more unplayable, Awakenings made it so no one can play because of erratic lag.

This is a no story. If they find a real name and proper source, then perhaps it would have been news, as it is, it is just more unfounded whinging.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

Well whether this developer is real or not is irrelevant. What he's saying is pretty much right. This is a game that should have never been released. In this day and age with games like Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption etc being released, Alpha Protocol comes looking like a poor low budget mess. I'm pretty disappointed how it turned out. I was expecting a 24/Splinter Cell style espionage RPG on par with Mass Effect. Instead we get a badly designed, badly executed game. The boss fights are cheap, the RPG elements are stupid and the graphics are absolutely horrible. Have a look at Uncharted 2 and you'll see how a REAL developer makes a game.

The only real thing I liked was the different dialogue interactions with characters....Excuse me now while I go play RDR. You know, a good game.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

Well whether this developer is real or not is irrelevant. What he's saying is pretty much right. This is a game that should have never been released. In this day and age with games like Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption etc being released, Alpha Protocol comes looking like a poor low budget mess. I'm pretty disappointed how it turned out. I was expecting a 24/Splinter Cell style espionage RPG on par with Mass Effect. Instead we get a badly designed, badly executed game. The boss fights are cheap, the RPG elements are stupid and the graphics are absolutely horrible. Have a look at Uncharted 2 and you'll see how a REAL developer makes a game.

The only real thing I liked was the different dialogue interactions with characters....Excuse me now while I go play RDR. You know, a good game.

Well, it is relevant if the dev is real o not... the fact these comments are being taking as news, it is beyond normal... for example, you comments

..Excuse me now while I go play RDR. You know, a good game.

from someone who just posted once, and claims "RDR is a good game" is news along different sites: "RDR is a good game- Jack-Bauer", "RDR is a good game, superior to AP, says Jack-Bauer"... sorry but no serious company will publish that unless there is something behind...

Edited by edgarcuk

As someone who owns both AP and RDR, let me tell you that it's AP thats getting played the most.

RDR is a good game but has been over-hyped beyond imagination. Its basically GTA with a new skin and different setting, which isnt a bad thing but isnt all that amazing. There is zero choice in what is a very linear storyline and there is little impact on the character, who behaves the same whether an outlaw or a lawman.

Then take Alpha Protocol, where the way the character acts and talks gives a true sense of different styles be it suave, professional or aggressive. The storyline, whilst pretty linear, does provide some fluidity depending on the order of missions which can affect the way the the player is greet in later missions.

Alpha Protocol tries to do something different and succeeds in many ways. Its not the best looking game in the world, but beyond the superficial graphics lies a very rich and involving core and a solid platform for any potential expansion of the series.

What drugs are you on Jack_Bauer? If none, then perhaps you should contact your doctor.

None of those games you mentioned are better than AP or worse for that matter, they are just different.

Mind you, with one post under your belt and that is all you have to say, then I take your comment as seriously as the supposed Dev, for all I know, you are the same loon. :ermm:

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

Although she didn't name Chris Parker but Annie Carlson, who is now working at Double Bear Studio with Brian Mitsoda, complained of her superior in this project. Also, J.E. Sawyers seems to be a great fan of (almost sucker to) stealth action game and Nathaniel Champan is willing to combine modern stealth action game-play with character development systems. So, I couldn't believe that Obsidian repeated the same mistake with Bloodlines. Reading some reviews, there must be those who played too many RPG with strong magic elements rather than with more realistic approaches. Putting a finger on Chris Parker is ridiculous since the "sources" are just anonymous posts but I think there must be some people who need to take a distance to D&D type games when they are making RPG with real world settings. At least, I haven't read reviews which have many complaints on choices and consequences, to which Chris Avellone and his gangs are responsible. Alas, every developer who communicates on the net didn't complain of Aliens RPG, either, especially J.E. Sawyer seems to have been happy with the game-play of it although he shut his mouth when I asked of that of Alpha Protocol... I cannot but hope Obsidian will be able to make full use of their resources.