A Masterpiece

I realise that there are plenty of threads for discussion of people's views on the game, but I have never been moved to start a thread on a forum to praise a game before. Feel free to lock/delete/pour scorn as needed.

The writing, the spiderweb of a story, the acting, the choices - it is seminal work. For the first couple of hours I felt that the combat was the weak link, but once I levelled up the mechanics started to come into play and it became clear how well realised they are.

This game is superior, in every department that matters, to ME2.

Obsidian: Take a bow.

I realise that there are plenty of threads for discussion of people's views on the game, but I have never been moved to start a thread on a forum to praise a game before. Feel free to lock/delete/pour scorn as needed.

The writing, the spiderweb of a story, the acting, the choices - it is seminal work. For the first couple of hours I felt that the combat was the weak link, but once I levelled up the mechanics started to come into play and it became clear how well realised they are.

Actually, I fully agree.

I know Obsidian would probably hate to hear this, but in many ways they remind me of an indie game company. They have a narrow focus (story-driven RPG's), take on ambitious projects, foster a niche appeal, and have some very devoted super-fans.

Sadly, the poor reception of AP outside of people like you might force them to mainstreamize and console-ize even more than ever...like a certain company I could name.

Edited by poetic obsidian

Not in every department that matters since ME2's gameplay is quite different than AP.

If we just go by story. Yeah AP wins. It sure as hell not some deep lifequestioning thing like PT. But it is a spy story. And a DAMN good one at that. Including Characters which seem cheesy at first sight, but actually are deep without beeing over the top. (Expect for Russian Guy. But even he was passable)

Superior to ME2? Wow, now I'm really excited.

While I personally share the sentiment that AP is better than ME2 this will largely depend on your personal impressions of that game.

For me ME2 was a big letdown after the first game as Bioware threw out most of the RPG aspects to make a 3rd person shooter with dialogue, cobbled together an irrelevant and mediocre main storyline (the companion quests were quite good on the other hand) and garnished it with horrible scanning and traveling mechanics.

I would not throw the word masterpiece around so easily.

AP is a fantastic game to be sure, but I would say it is short of being a masterpiece.

With nonlinear levels, character face/body/sex customisation, improved AI and more environment interaction then yes I would class it as a masterpiece. I have high hopes for AP 2 now, lets hope Obsidian sell enough to continue the franchise.

Well done Obsidian, fantastic game. :p

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

AP is a fantastic game to be sure, but I would say it is short of being a masterpiece.

With nonlinear levels, character face/body/sex customisation, improved AI and more environment interaction then yes I would class it as a masterpiece. I have high hopes for AP 2 now, lets hope Obsidian sell enough to continue the franchise.

Well done Obsidian, fantastic game. :)

I'm with you on everything but changing the sex/body/face thing. While some changing is fine, AP relies heavily on how strong the characters are. If you turned them into generic Shepards or something like that, Mike/Female Mike :p would lose a lot of personality and Obsidian would have to work twice as much into making romancing options, etc. I think that making Mike a he was a smart move by Obsidian and they should stick to that. Make the game A LOT more nonlinear and just enhance every aspect of it and the masterpiece starts to shape. With reviews as mixed as these, Obs should really restrategize and try to just perfect instead of enlarge. I'm hugely hyped for AP2, but i don't want it to go the way of Deus Ex.

And finally, i agree, well done Obsidian, Alpha Protocol's a fantastic game :)

While I personally share the sentiment that AP is better than ME2 this will largely depend on your personal impressions of that game.

For me ME2 was a big letdown after the first game as Bioware threw out most of the RPG aspects to make a 3rd person shooter with dialogue, cobbled together an irrelevant and mediocre main storyline (the companion quests were quite good on the other hand) and garnished it with horrible scanning and traveling mechanics.

This.

I'm hugely hyped for AP2, but i don't want it to go the way of Deus Ex.

You're pretty hyped about a game that will probably never be developed?

I don't want to be too harsh, but considering the reception to the game has been lukewarm, and the criticism, Alpha Protocol would need some big sales to get a sequel.

Then again, I'm not in the mind of the higher-ups.

There's no comparison, really. ME2 is not even a RPG.

/can of worms

Story driven, cover based combat, cinematic approach, character levelling with activated combat skills, game changing choices. I don't want to get into whether it is an RPG or not, as I did not make that point. I compare the two based on the above and, with the exception of the fact that ME2 was squad based and lacked true stealth, I feel that the comparison is a fairly direct one.

ME2 was universally loved by critics it seems, unlike AP. I enjoyed AP so much, however, that I registered on this site at 4am-ish (end of first play through) to post.

To answer an earlier poster, I don't use the word masterpiece lightly. I have never written it on an internet forum before, in fact! This is totally subjective, of course: That is just how much I enjoyed the game.

I'm with you on everything but changing the sex/body/face thing. While some changing is fine, AP relies heavily on how strong the characters are. If you turned them into generic Shepards or something like that

I actually think Bioware did that one right :huh: IMO the male/female Shepard options in ME show how it could be done. In the end the main difference is, that you need two voiceactors doing all the lines, you have to change the romance options about a bit, you have to rewrite some dialogue to refer to the player characters sex and (perhaps the biggest job) you have to create all the armor graphics for male and female characters.

Yes it is additional work but imo creating your own character is a big and important part of every RPG. While I could accept the small amount of options AP gives I would have been happier if there was more choice. Being able to play a female agent and more character customization is my biggest wish for a sequel, if we ever see one.

Well done Obsidian, fantastic game. :(

The AI needs to be sorted quiet badly before you call it a masterpiece, i agree. When the AI kills its friends, as in TURNS to show them instead of you...yea. And the shooting isn't as tight or focused, while the skills are better in some respects i think it needs to be given a look over.

Though, i will say this. The story needed Mike to be very deep but because of the conversation choices...he's a bit....loopy at times when you don't get to pick the reply. You'll see what i mean. But in general, its a very good game. I just feel its not as good as ME2 because of its short-comings in comparison. And ME's story spreads over 2 games, you can't compare that.

I'm hugely hyped for AP2, but i don't want it to go the way of Deus Ex.

I don't want to be too harsh, but considering the reception to the game has been lukewarm, and the criticism, Alpha Protocol would need some big sales to get a sequel.

You're probably right but if Two Worlds can get a sequel, anything's possible.

Loving the game myself but it's no masterpiece.

That, to say. Any game has mistakes. I haven't met one "masterpiece" yet. Most excel at one particular element (which Alpha Protcol does) So Its possible to say its a masterpiece of some sort.

For example: There are many people saying Heavy Rain is a masterpiece which is a lie. It does its job well but there are fundemental elements that are flawed. One beeing that David Cage can't write women characters. Or any form of attraction whatsoever.

Which is more than a valid complaint since stoy is the main gameplay element moreso than Alpha Protocol.

There are some of us for whom this game ticked every box in terms of what we enjoy playing. For us, it is a masterpiece.

I guess we are the lucky ones. Entertainment is subjective and happily for us a company developed a game that gives us everything we want!

Wether it's announced or not, i'm hyped for another AP. I don't see what's so weird about that. I think all criticism is remediable.

I actually think Bioware did that one right :ermm: IMO the male/female Shepard options in ME show how it could be done. In the end the main difference is, that you need two voiceactors doing all the lines, you have to change the romance options about a bit, you have to rewrite some dialogue to refer to the player characters sex and (perhaps the biggest job) you have to create all the armor graphics for male and female characters.

Yes it is additional work but imo creating your own character is a big and important part of every RPG. While I could accept the small amount of options AP gives I would have been happier if there was more choice. Being able to play a female agent and more character customization is my biggest wish for a sequel, if we ever see one.

I think that Bioware did that right too but Obsidian doesn't seem to have the resources for it. I'd like them to avoid further developement hell as much as possible...

I got this game on Friday and haven't been able to put it down since.

I bought Red Dead at the same time but that hasnt really gotten a look in so far. This game is brilliant, the story is epic and feels believable. The characters are diverse and excellently acted and the dialogue system works very well.

Yes there are some problems but some of them are very much superficial and can be rectified when the sequel is released ( there should definitely be a sequel by the way!). Graphically it could have been better but go deeper than that and you'll discover a very very good game.

That being said, not sure I'd agree with it being better than ME2. Both games have the same plus points, though ME2 was very much streamlined. Graphically, ME2 wins so I reckon it's a draw between the two. Both are excellent games and I cant wait for the follow-ups to each of them.

Edited by Altered Idol

I actually think Bioware did that one right :verymad: IMO the male/female Shepard options in ME show how it could be done. In the end the main difference is, that you need two voiceactors doing all the lines, you have to change the romance options about a bit, you have to rewrite some dialogue to refer to the player characters sex and (perhaps the biggest job) you have to create all the armor graphics for male and female characters.

Yes it worked in ME, but in AP there's no way you could have done that without adding ****loads of more dialogue since people actually react to you based on who you are and what you have done so far in the game. If you add a female char people will naturally react differently to her. And not to mention you would have to rewrite loads of lines for Michelle Thorton to make her look even remotely like a real woman operative. Or do you think a female Thorton could pull of some of those suave and aggressive lines?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Masterpiece is a little strong. I'm really enjoying it however, and it's certainly the most fun I've had this year. However, the technical flaws really prevent this game from being "perfect" (obviously). The PC is just littered with too many port problems from wonky cameras, horrible sensitivity in the hacking mini-game, the blocky detection of bodies that you can get stuck on, accessing your skills/gadgets/weapons while moving will often freeze you in place for a few seconds...

However, the story, character and writing are absolutely superb. It really gives the illusion of choice having a strong effect on the game though whether this is true or not will certainly have to be verified in multiple playthroughs.

A very good effort, nevertheless. Certainly an 80%.

I haven't played ME2, so I will say ME2 is ME1 in this case.

I can't say it's better in tech department or graphical. The story, the characters, the impact and choices are far superior in AP over ME1. Alpha Protocol may have its bugs and issues, but if/when you get over that it's really a fun game - as you can replay it and not game the same experience. That's quality! :verymad:

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

My sentiments, exactly!

Certainly as an RPG, yeah. It's the best RPG I've played in years. Not perfect, of course -- and there are improvements that could be made -- but, damn, I hope there's a sequel. I hope there are many sequels. (Direct, spiritual, or otherwise)

I've just finished Moscow and Rome, and I'm sure that it would have played out differently had I done different things. However, the entire plot is executed so seamlessly that you can't really tell which events are being triggered by which specific interactions. It's all very intricate, and I love it - it's certainly much more subtle than the reactivity I've seen in any other RPG.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

its great little game, i am so pleased that they done ps3 version... thanks Obsidian

p.s i loved the art style of the game

Edited by Kostchtchie

Some Trolls, arnt looking for anything logical, they cant be questioned, talked to, reasoned or negosiated with, some trolls just want watch the forums burn