Alpha Protocol vs. Deus Ex

Hello all,

I literally just joined the forums because I wanted to ask a question. I know I maybe jumping on the band wagon a little late but better late then never.

I've been following this game for awhile now and now that the European players have played it.... I was just curious how Alpha Protocol compares to Deus Ex.

On the surface, it looks like it plays like Mass Effect but the more I read and see of Alpha Protocol the more i can't help tha tit owes alot to Deus Ex

It's a more linear Deus Ex with not quite as good level design, but much better dialogue and better long term C&C.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Call me stupid.... but what does C&C stand for?

Choices and consequences.

E.g. (I invented this example, I haven't played the game and I don't know what are the C&C in the game) you arrive at a bank where a senator's daughter is trapped.

You can choose to sneak inside, take out the daughter, and save her at the expense of the other hostages or try an aggressive approach.

If you concentrate on the daughter the senator will thank you and will provide help in your next missions, if you instead go for the aggressive route he'll be angry with you for endangering her daughter, but maybe someone else will be pleased.

There weren't many instances like this in Deus Ex and they almost had no consequences, except for the ending.

I really don't see how you could compare it to Deus Ex(one of the greatest games of all time) at all.

Yeah, because Deus Ex was such a flawless game when it came out. It's not like it was universally critizied too for its animations and KI and the biggest reason it wasn't more panned is because the reviewers weren't as high standard as today.......

Oh wait!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex/revi...view&page=2

It's rosa colored glasses time. ;)

Let us rejoice!

Seriously people! Shut up! If you have to bash the game so hard you are only deluding yourself. I myself wait a few years and get a good laugh when people say Alpha Protocol was a hidden gem.

I really don't see how you could compare it to Deus Ex(one of the greatest games of all time) at all.

Because they see a resemblance, and either A. dont think Deus Ex is as good as you do, B havent played AP and are comparing it as they have seen so far, or C think AP is good enough to compare to Deus Ex, just because your opinion of an old game is so high, and views of this one is so low, doesnt mean a comparison between the two is bad

Deus Ex has bad AI, lacklustre shooting, shallow stealth, multiple ways of completing missions, plot exposition through dialogue and intel, bad animations, RPG character development, a person who speaks in your ear during missions, and the plot unfolds while you travel the world.

Now, which game does this description remind me of? It's on the tip of my tongue. It's called Alpha! Alpha something.... ;)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Deus Ex has bad AI, lacklustre shooting, shallow stealth, multiple ways of completing missions, plot exposition through dialogue and intel, bad animations, RPG character development, a person who speaks in your ear during missions, and the plot unfolds while you travel the world.

Now, which game does this description remind me of? It's on the tip of my tongue. It's called Alpha! Alpha something.... ;)

Yep, and gamespot gave Deus Ex an 8.2. Glad to see they stay consistent.

oh wait..

One thing that seems clear to me is that if Deus Ex were released today with relatively similar graphics, AI, bugs etc, it would have gotten much less favorable reviews than it did.

I do not think that this is due to reviewers having higher standards. I think it's due to having different standards altogether. You tend to find what you look for. That seems like a painfully obvious statement, but the implications can be profound.

Reviewers today are actively looking for things like glitches, awkward animations, flashy graphics etc, so those are the things they find (or don't find). The focus is on what they physically see on screen, and not on the subjective experience of being immersed in a virtual world via its mood, story, dialogue etc. which is another component of games.

Pidesco has the right of it. They are similar in some regards, not at all similar in others.

As to which I prefer, not sure yet. I like Deus Ex a fair bit but I've never been as crazy about it as some people are. For action-RPGs, System Shock 2 is king of the hill for me. But that's also a very different game than AP, hehe.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

One thing that bothers me about Alpha Protocol is that, having Deus Ex as a game to look at, they didn't realize that placing bosses you have to fight is a bad idea. I mean the (very few) bosses were one of the worst parts of the game, and Alpha Protocol seems to emphasize it from what I hear.

It depends what you call mini-bosses.. I mean depending on how you go at it.. Hm, There's Brayko in Moscow.. but then

you can ally with him so

you don't have to fight him.. Then Sie, again, you don' thave to fight her (although she rather enjoys it if you do...the whole email of "im standing naked at the mirror touching all those bruises you gave me dahling"..).

Rome, there's Marburg to deal with.. and Taipai has Omen Deng.. All of these people are meant to be superior to the regular mooks and henchmen you can take down with ease.. So I guess it makes some sense that people of their calibre aren't simple one shot kills....

I think one of the things people are forgetting is that depending on just how you approach things, you might not have to actually fight these people... Then again I can't be totally sure of that since I haven't played those routes yet.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'd hate a game without mini-bosses.

I'd love to have the choice to avoid them or simply take them down with a stealth kill before the inevitable cutscene begins.

Now i understood your reply and i must say i agree with you. I thought you meant that rather a game without mini -bosses. :)

BTW, ty Raithe, for explain how it really works. ;)

Edited by Alpha

I'd hate a game without mini-bosses.

I'd love to have the choice to avoid them or simply take them down with a stealth kill before the inevitable cutscene begins.

Now i understood your reply and i must say i agree with you. I thought you meant that rather a game without mini -bosses. :lol:

I think that bosses work well as a climax to a 'combat route', but in rpgs combat isn't always the main focus (though it seems it still is the main gameplay focus on Alpha Protocol, with stealth approach being geared more to taking people out from the shadows than simply avoiding them altogether), so putting unavoidable bosses or combat in general feels like a poor choice from my point of view.

I agree that one of the game's flaws is that you're forced to fight some bosses. At least the game should've been a bit more flexible in how it lets you handle them. There are parts of the game where the design annoys me a bit because it seems to want to push into an action scenario instead of emphasizing the choices of gameplay.

AP is hardly alone in this (unfortunately) but it would've been nice in my opinion to have a choice in the matter at some of those points as well, even though it is an action-RPG.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I so can't wait to get my hands on this game. Who knows maybe a small team will come together and 'finish' the game like some people did with KOTOR II.

On the topic of comparing to Deus Ex.... it certainly sounds like Alpha Protocol is this generations version of Deus Ex... from waht I'm hearing :thumbsup:

I so can't wait to get my hands on this game. Who knows maybe a small team will come together and 'finish' the game like some people did with KOTOR II.

On the topic of comparing to Deus Ex.... it certainly sounds like Alpha Protocol is this generations version of Deus Ex... from waht I'm hearing :thumbsup:

The game IS complete, they included again (like in KOTOR2) some UE3 Data that indicated different things planned but they are mostly concept stuff. Mostly just audiodata. That doesn't indicate that it's not finished just that stuff was cut (Like in the development of every game ever. In days of DLC the people seem to have forgotten that and blame publishers as soon as they announce DLC. (KOTOR 2 or similiar beeing a special case)

As for adjusting stuff. Yeeeeah! But it's UE3. Just don't hope for too much.