[Steam Version] Game Does Not Launch

Ayulin

Question

(No, this isn't about how it's preloaded but not unlocked :rolleyes:)

My system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5GHz)

8GB RAM

Gainward Radeon 4870 (512MB)

I haven't been able to get the game to load beyond the following: AlphaProtocolWindow.png

This only comes up when I hover over the AP icon on the taskbar and click the thumbnail; otherwise it appears that nothing is going on, except for the constant CPU use.

I've tried:

• Running the Launcher and Game in Compatibility Mode.
  • Installing PhysX, VC Redistributable, and DirectX (both from the Steam /Support/ directory, and manually downloaded.)
  • Deleting all Alpha Protocol folders from AppData, My Documents, and ProgramData and starting the game.
  • Doing the above, deleting the Steam game files, and redownloading the game.
  • Unplugging my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, disabling all USB input devices in Device Manager (except Keyboard and Mouse.)
  • Disabling Microsoft Security Essentials' realtime protection.
  • Uninstalling CCCP just in case there was a codec conflict.

None of the above had any positive effect. When running the game with the "Disable Desktop Composition" compatibility option enabled, the window that appears is bigger, but only has a grey background with the program icon in the centre. In addition, after disabling all USB input devices in Device Manager, I can no longer get to the stage as shown in the picture by launching the game via the launcher; Task Manager reveals that the game process is started, but then crashes silently several seconds later. This has persisted even after re-enabling the USB input devices.

I'm using the latest ATI Hotfix Drivers which were released on 28 May.

When the game is launched manually from the Steam folder, I get the window shown in my screenshot above. The game process also uses 50% CPU constantly, and 200MB of RAM.

The Windows Problem Details for the silent crash (launching via the game launcher) are as follows:

Source
Alpha Protocol

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎30/‎05/‎2010 15:01

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:	c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alpha protocol\Binaries\APGame.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
Application Name:	apgame.exe
Application Version:	1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp:	4bd8888d
Fault Module Name:	apgame.exe
Fault Module Version:	1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp:	4bd8888d
Exception Code:	c0000005
Exception Offset:	009be986
OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID:	2057
Additional Information 1:	0a9e
Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3:	0a9e
Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:	1876113577

When I manually quit the program (launching the APGame.exe directly from the Steam folder), the details are as follows:

Source
Alpha Protocol

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎30/‎05/‎2010 15:03

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alpha protocol\Binaries\APGame.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	AppHangB1
Application Name:	APGame.exe
Application Version:	1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp:	4bd8888d
Hang Signature:	7e68
Hang Type:	0
OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID:	2057
Additional Hang Signature 1:	7e68117902575f9739bb57afb3647670
Additional Hang Signature 2:	96a8
Additional Hang Signature 3:	96a8ab15ce970d3bb854b90a1f2bb908
Additional Hang Signature 4:	7e68
Additional Hang Signature 5:	7e68117902575f9739bb57afb3647670
Additional Hang Signature 6:	96a8
Additional Hang Signature 7:	96a8ab15ce970d3bb854b90a1f2bb908

I'm not sure if these last two details help, but I figure it's best to throw it out just in case :)

Edited by Ayulin

4 answers to this question

As a follow-up, Mirror's Edge is now giving me the same issues that I've been having here (previously, I had no problems running it [Mirror's Edge]). Borderlands, however, still loads up perfectly.

I have exactly the same problem as you and so far have had no luck in getting the game to run unfortunately. Though my video card is from nVidia and have a retail copy of the game rather than steam, so it would seem that this is not a localised problem.

Curiously, i also had the same problem with mirrors edge that you mention in your second post, with again being unable to fix that either - so something most definately is wrong somewhere.

Anyway, i hope this can be fixed in some way, shape or form, but for the moment i'll be removing the game from my system and trying it again in a few weeks if a patch is released or a fix found.

I had the exact same issue and was able to fix it by copying the OpenAL32.dll and the wrap_oal.dll from my Windows/system32 folder into the alpha protocol/binaries folder and overwriting those. (Make sure you back them up first).

Hope it helps someone, even though this topic is quite old now.