Ok.. who's up for ALPHA PROTOCOL 2 !

Who wants Alpha Protocol 2 !  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants Alpha Protocol 2 !

• Bring it on !
    • No thanks..

To be honest, I don't want Obsidian developing it. I want developers who care about polishing and finishing the game b4 shipping. Or maybe this is Sega's fault? IDK. But as far as I know, Obsidian be shipping half finish games since their first game, and AP is wasted because of that.

I think Obsidian really needs to be able to make a couple of releases with the same damn engine... it's surely a large part of the problem. First they had to pick up with Bio did to make KOTOR2, then NWN2, and so on. When you make a new setting and new engine and so forth there's always going to be difficulties.

Would be nice to see an AP2 where they can just focus on getting it perfect... of course, since everyone thinks UE3 looks dated already, I guess they'd need a new engine. O_o

Are there any other competent RPG developers out their that might be suited for a sequel?

No.

It gotta be Obsidian.

To be honest I don't know, they could pick a relatively unknown developer, or even an action game developer.

Also, I don't know, from my point of view it seems like the reasoning from SEGA's part would be 'let Obsidian take all the blame, say that the concept was fantastic but there was some erroneous design decisions and that Obsidian simply isn't good, give the game to another developer and even if it'll probably end up sucking just make some quick bucks'.

I may be unfair to SEGA but their last projects don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence (the wildly unbalanced new Alien Vs Predator comes to mind).

I'd be very suprised if there's going to be sequel for the Alpha Protocol. Only way I could see it work would be that someone bought IP (for dirt cheap) and do what Rockstar did with Red Dead Revolver ---> Red Dead Redemption. Flaws in Alpha Protocol combat mechanics, graphics, AI, level / encounter design are so big that it's unlikely that most developers in Obsidian didn't see 'em. There have to be someone from higher up in company ladder shooting down most of the improvement solutions. It don't help if some jr designer has the best idea in the world if it can't be sold to the higher ups or to the publisher.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Obsidian if you are reading this, please, please listen. You have no idea how you almost struck so much gold and epicness with this gem of a game, I can see it becoming a cult classic much like VtMB, but not quite a real classic because of some glaring faults. It is obvious where you took inspiration from, so take that full swing. Make the cover system flexible and enjoyable like Splinter Cell: Conviction, if you make it the same, there, instant gameplay level up. Give us the abillity to jump and please, instead of contextual ques, please just give us a simple acrobatics system, powered only by the jump button. I will go into detail with suggestions later, because I want to play some AP, excuse me.

I think Obsidian really needs to be able to make a couple of releases with the same damn engine... it's surely a large part of the problem. First they had to pick up with Bio did to make KOTOR2, then NWN2, and so on. When you make a new setting and new engine and so forth there's always going to be difficulties.

Would be nice to see an AP2 where they can just focus on getting it perfect... of course, since everyone thinks UE3 looks dated already, I guess they'd need a new engine. O_o

That's what I assumed. It was a surprise to find out that the U3 engine would be used, and that requires time to learn the engine...usually through trial and error unfortunately. I don't think the U3 engine looks dated at all, in fact some major improvements have been made to the lighting system with UDK. Also not sure if Obsidian uses Maya as the primary tool for 3D assets but Maya 2011 from what I read has UDK build into it, which should help with the pipeline. If I were at Obsidian I would strongly encourage a visual renewal of the IP, much like what Borderlands went through. Also it would be wise to push for a multiplayer aspect and have the design work with that.

Sega continues to support the Wii with hardcore titles like The Conduit 2, even though their past hardcore releases for the system haven't done so hot (The Conduit, MadWorld, House of the Dead: Overkill). It seems like they can see the potential for The Conduit's future, so I hope they see the same for Alpha Protocol on PC, 360 and PS3.

Sega continues to support the Wii with hardcore titles like The Conduit 2, even though their past hardcore releases for the system haven't done so hot (The Conduit, MadWorld, House of the Dead: Overkill). It seems like they can see the potential for The Conduit's future, so I hope they see the same for Alpha Protocol on PC, 360 and PS3.

The Conduit is a pretty big success for a hardcore Wii game. Maybe not sales, but the reviews are generally favorable. On the other hand, AP is getting panned by alot of critics. And it sure ain't doing very well with sales.

I thought this game was delayed for at least 6 months according to last year. I wonder how 'polish' it was back then. (~_~ )

The game was actually completed last year.

IGN AU: Alpha Protocol went through several delays and retools. Now that development is finally wrapping up, can you discuss the key moments that held up the development process? We've heard a lot of different, sometimes conflicting, reports.

Matt Hickman: The decision to move the game out from October was merely for repositioning and constituted a business decision only.

Edited by funcroc

Yes, I'd love to see a sequel. There were some epic ideas in AP and I believe if Obsidian got the opportunity to make a sequel, some of the flaws present in this one would be eliminated. *crosses fingers*

The Conduit is a pretty big success for a hardcore Wii game. Maybe not sales, but the reviews are generally favorable. On the other hand, AP is getting panned by alot of critics. And it sure ain't doing very well with sales.

Considering it's not out in the US yet, no, I guess it's not doing that well with sales at the moment. :huh:

While il admit i came into AP with a VERY ...um.."Anti-Obsidian" view due to how i feel about there other games, i am honestly having fun with AP. The problem is the polish and bug-fixing. Simple things really should of been spotted and fixed but seem to of been forgotten (aka The AI). I can understand Sega's want to push this title as it was pushed back and was starting to cost them more then they would make back off it. You can't think this would of been as big a hit as something like ME or Fallout so Sega would want this pulling in what they can.

I will agree that i really doubt Obsidian will make AP2 if we ever see it. Ive not finished the game (Hard Mode, Recruit, Defend ...someone...Nuf' Said) but there are some REALLY smart ideas, things like the conversation perks and effects. Ive rarely played a RPG that rewards me for sticking to my guns or reading a persons responses. I made me smile when i meet a certain person i wont say. The problems are you can't rate the game on just that unfortunately and its not very good at the other things. :(

So saying that, i do still worry about Fallout now. This was a important title as this game would reflect how that game would go.

...Ive done rambling :).