Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pistol

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9332 posts

Pistols, while a bit underwhelming (but certainly not useless) at lower ranks, are absolutely killer once you get reasonable skill. Once you get master crit (or even expert), you'll be nailing people in the head from across the room. It's insane.

The curve is a bit too steep, but once you get the skill up there it's a blast. Chainshot is rigged, though - six shots is simply too many.

Yeah... I wouldn't be surprised to see it toned down in a future patch to be honest... I almost one-shotted Brayko with Master Chainshot.

MazeMouse

MazeMouse

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:joeyklerkx

Yeah... I wouldn't be surprised to see it toned down in a future patch to be honest... I almost one-shotted Brayko with Master Chainshot.

Indeed, after you get the 4shot ones it's simply a matter of moving into position to put 4 headshots into your target (especially with crits) to put any boss out of his/her misery.

piercehead

piercehead

Elder Ranger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
I don't understand people saying Pistols are overpowered. They're great within their range, but an assault rifles and shotguns are ok even without points in. Rifles can headshot people pretty much outside of working AI range and shotgun knockdown is great: zoom in fully, turn corner, knockdown enemy (even at range it'll do rubbish damage but the KD still works), sprint and melee stomp.

ProtocolX

ProtocolX

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts
Heh Brayko was done almost before he got started. Was concealed with pistol when he is up on platform looking for you, couple of hidden head shot crits and he goes to snort his coke, then chainshot and fight was over. ;)

vault_overseer

vault_overseer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Chainshot = Instakill

Azazel005

Azazel005

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Azazel005
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah chain shot can be a little too effective. At the high lvels though even without chain shot it's a lethal surgical instrument OF DEATH.

Assualt rifles are the best genteral purpose mid/long rang weapon though. As good as chain shot is, you could kill Brayko almost as fast with the AR. Plus you get the nifty auto lock power when things get hot.

SMGs and Shotguns are the most underwhelming. High level shotguns allow you to blow the living crapout of anything close and knock people down, but even at high levels the wait on knocking people down doesn't compete with just headshottings them with the pistol. And SMGs simply seem to scatter too much, though to be far they are the one weapon I haven't gotten to a high level.

Joseph Bulock

Joseph Bulock

Cinematic Designer

• Developers
  • 408 posts

The silencer does substract some damage, but do you really need to use it? I mean I got the feeling that the AI is so dumb anyway that they won't hit the alarm.

There is a silencer that doesn't reduce damage eventually as well.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

The silencer does substract some damage, but do you really need to use it? I mean I got the feeling that the AI is so dumb anyway that they won't hit the alarm.

There is a silencer that doesn't reduce damage eventually as well.

It's still a loss when compared to the other barrel upgrades available, though.

zkylon

zkylon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Shotguns were kind of useless for me. I have all the best stuff on them but they just don't seem to put out the damage other weapons do.

Also why no silencers for SMG and Rifles? I found that kind of odd and we can only get sniper rifles in some missions but we can't keep them.

Balance, i'm sure.

Vladan

Vladan

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Do any of the stats on the pistol even matter? I mean, I've been stealthing through the whole game and all my kills were basically instakills thanks to the Chain Shot and other nice stuff you get from skilling in Pistols. Three final missions in the hubs are coming up now and I'm wondering which pistol to get (currently have UC Cossak).

Shadow Operative

Shadow Operative

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
I bought 3 stared Samael in Saudi and with upgrades Master Chain Shot took out Brayko instantly :D and why complain about hard Bosses :p

So with chain shot mastered and good pistol with upgrades you are simply unstoppable :)

player1

player1

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I had SMGs as my secondary weapon skill (behind martial arts) on my first run and they seemed fairly useless.

In my second Veteran playthrough I used SMGs pretty much all the time for close/mid-range combat, and AR for distance (and tough bosses). They where really great. Much more then shotguns which I used as secondary weapon in 1st playthrough (they only pay off when activating room sweep for knockdowns and better rate of fire).

Compared to AR, they can do sustained fire (AR only does short bursts), and have good stability (so you can shoot while on run, with low drop of accuracy). Plus damage bonuses when killing multiple people with same magazine.

Edited by player1, 05 June 2010 - 12:29 AM.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts

There's no need for silencer in a room, you just rush in, hit chain shot, that's six dead enemies.
As for the range, Chain Shot headshots doesn't have a range limit, so if you can aim it precisely, you can use it at any range.

Spydude

Spydude

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

There's no need for silencer in a room, you just rush in, hit chain shot, that's six dead enemies.
As for the range, Chain Shot headshots doesn't have a range limit, so if you can aim it precisely, you can use it at any range.

That's why it feels broken. Why is it suddenly an autosniper?

Edited by Spydude, 07 June 2010 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users