What's this I hear about the stuttering being a DRM issue?

AKofC

Question

People over on GameFAQs pointed out stutters being addressed via a crack. Dropping it at that, but my question is the stuttering going to be addressed in a patch? Because it's really annoying when I end up running into a camera's FOV because of it. :/

25 answers to this question

What kind of stuttering are you referring to, exactly? Not everyone has the game yet and 'known issues' are still not that 'known' to everyone.

If it's regarding mouse accleration / mouselook, also check out:

For the mouse acceleration, currently a known fix for some people was:

go into APEngine.ini in My Documents,

Set:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=20

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30

For the mouse acceleration, currently a known fix for some people was:

go into APEngine.ini in My Documents,

Set:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=20

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30

I am having the same stutter problem too. This does nothing but lowering my fps down.

The problem I am having is when I make a camera turn with the mouse, the game sometimes 'stutters' for 1/2 a second....then the camera turns more than I desire. This makes gameplay extremely frustrating because I can't seem to make a slight turn without having the camera going nuts on me.

This issue is more apparent when moving into new areas.

Edited by Tokie

The mouse issue seems fairly widespread at the moment, but yeah, as you might imagine there aren't a lot of fixes out there at the moment.

It's happened to me in lesser degrees in some areas, when there were a lot of enemies (making me spin round and round on the spot as I tried to get my bearings), but never constantly, esp. after the ini edit.

Akofc, so some people report cracks are 'fixing' the issue? That it is DRM related?

Akofc, so some people report cracks are 'fixing' the issue? That it is DRM related?

No, it's not. The problem with the mouse isn't magically eleminated with a not so original .exe.

I tried because I would like to play without this problem, the mouse movement gets me killed the most while playing, but reverted back to the original since it doesn't help.

Edited by Lestrade

i Have a same problem.

But i dont think its a mouse issue

I think that mouse glitch is only the result of it.

It happends when new enemies are being loaded.

At that second(or half a second.... ) game freezes and if you were moving with the mouse in any direction with a mouse in that time (yes that 1/2 of a second) as soon as game starts running again it will perform that mouse movement only like if you were turning lets say 5 seconds

Try it, go somewhere where you know it happends and dont touch the mouse just walk and it wont affect the mouse, however that freeze effect will still be there.

So the issue is more Enemy loading related, not mouse related.

Loading is cause, mouse lag is result.

Edited by Tin

i Have a same problem.

But i dont think its a mouse issue

I think that mouse glitch is only the result of it.

It happends when new enemies are being loaded.

At that second(or half a second.... ) game freezes and if you were moving with the mouse in any direction with a mouse in that time (yes that 1/2 of a second) as soon as game starts running again it will perform that mouse movement only like if you were turning lets say 5 seconds

Try it, go somewhere where you know it happends and dont touch the mouse just walk and it wont affect the mouse, however that freeze effect will still be there.

So the issue is more Enemy loading related, not mouse related.

Loading is cause, mouse lag is result.

Since you get it sometimes in safehouses too I doubt it has anything to do with enemies loading in.

Since you get it sometimes in safehouses too I doubt it has anything to do with enemies loading in.

interesting.

It never happend to me in areas without people. (safehouse included)

However i barely started playing (second mission)

Whatever it is i still believe its loading issue.

What kind of stuttering are you referring to, exactly? Not everyone has the game yet and 'known issues' are still not that 'known' to everyone.

If it's regarding mouse accleration / mouselook, also check out:

This does not help. As an employee of Obsidian, can't you at least ask higher up to see if a patch is planned?

interesting.

What you and Obsidian need to take into account is that there was a Cracked version of this game released. the CRACKED version has stuttering that was due to the attempt to remove the DRM.Then there was a fixed cracked version released, which supposedly doesn't have the problem.

If you do not have a store bought/valid digital download version of the game, please don't post to the Technical Forums complaining about technical issues.

It's surprising that people seem to have the know how to download and install cracked games, but don't have the intelligence to know that the problems with performance that they experience could very well be because of these cracks.

This is why troubleshooting player complaints becomes so difficult sometimes for companies. You don't know if you are dealing with someone who has a proper Retail version, A proper Retail Version with a NoDVD/NoDRM Crack...or just a plain old cracked copy.

I'm not saying that everyone experiencing this has a cracked copy, or that it is not a genuine problem btw.

It being a DRM thing is what they're saying but I'm not going to risk getting my Steam account banned experimenting. Still the game is playable enough even with stutters, just gets somewhat annoying near cameras or when sneaking since it's like the video is the only thing that freezes but any input you make still registers.

Anyway hope a patch comes out for the stuff eventually, maybe in time for my next playthrough. Game's a blast.

This does not help. As an employee of Obsidian, can't you at least ask higher up to see if a patch is planned?

Unfortunately, I'm just a moderator, not an employee. However, I can't imagine them not putting out any PC patches, at the very least.

It looks like we still need to keep getting more info about who's having the problem and where, and how many variations of it exist.

Unfortunately, I'm just a moderator, not an employee. However, I can't imagine them not putting out any PC patches, at the very least.

It looks like we still need to keep getting more info about who's having the problem and where, and how many variations of it exist.

Ugh. I should've expected this from a company with no actual support venue. Thanks for the answer, dude.

Also, my reason for not expecting them to patch is simple. This kind of issue should've been caught in playtesting. It is hilarious to imagine they only tried to play it with xbox controllers on pcs and never actually used a mouse, but i sort of think they're not that dumb. So the only option left is that they knew about it and just plain didn't know how to fix it. (UE is not exactly easy to code for.)

Also, to those people talking about DRM: I would be happy if this was a DRM issue and i could just apply a crack and play. However it is not. Even with the crackfix it's still broken.

It's happened to me in lesser degrees in some areas, when there were a lot of enemies (making me spin round and round on the spot as I tried to get my bearings), but never constantly, esp. after the ini edit.

It's not constantly spinning, but enough to make me want to quit playing. Playing a stealth shooter without precision and control over your own character really drives me away from this game.

Also this is not a DRM issue, I installed this game fresh from the box and it stutters. Then I went online and saw 'stutter fix' posted by some people, then I reinstalled the game and applied the 'crack fix' but it made no difference. It is definately a loading problem, and 'crazy mouse turning' is the most visible result.

Edited by Tokie

I'm not saying that everyone experiencing this has a cracked copy, or that it is not a genuine problem btw.

It is a genuine problem. I bought a digital download from direct2drive.co.uk and I have the mouse problem.

It is a genuine problem. I bought a digital download from direct2drive.co.uk and I have the mouse problem.

It seems to happen when the game is loading new graphics, textures etc.

Just as an addendum: I tried the "fix" (modifying the Min/MaxSmoothedFramerate) and it certainly improved things. The game is still stuttering sometimes but not nearly as bad as before. On the downside the 30fps limiter when using 20/30 as values is not very eye-friendly.

I'm now using

MinSmoothedFrameRate=10

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=45

this still reduces the stuttering greatly but a 45 fps limit is more reasonable than using 30 fps.

Just as an addendum: I tried the "fix" (modifying the Min/MaxSmoothedFramerate) and it certainly improved things. The game is still stuttering sometimes but not nearly as bad as before. On the downside the 30fps limiter when using 20/30 as values is not very eye-friendly.

I'm now using

MinSmoothedFrameRate=10

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=45

this still reduces the stuttering greatly but a 45 fps limit is more reasonable than using 30 fps.

Well, I tried that fix before but it only helped me a tiny bit..

Also the stuttering is horrible, it doesnt matter if I run at lowest or highest gfx settings, the stuttering is still there..

interesting.

What you and Obsidian need to take into account is that there was a Cracked version of this game released. the CRACKED version has stuttering that was due to the attempt to remove the DRM.Then there was a fixed cracked version released, which supposedly doesn't have the problem.

If you do not have a store bought/valid digital download version of the game, please don't post to the Technical Forums complaining about technical issues.

It's surprising that people seem to have the know how to download and install cracked games, but don't have the intelligence to know that the problems with performance that they experience could very well be because of these cracks.

This is why troubleshooting player complaints becomes so difficult sometimes for companies. You don't know if you are dealing with someone who has a proper Retail version, A proper Retail Version with a NoDVD/NoDRM Crack...or just a plain old cracked copy.

HUH? sorry pal

the game is released in europe since 28. i bought it from Get games(eurogamer shop)

so be that great and stop accusing people

I may have overlooked it, but i think it hasn't been mentioned those short freezes/hiccups are always occuring at the same locations, at least for me. For example if i walk down a certain hallway and there's this short hiccup, it will always happen RIGHT there.

I think those may be locations where parts of the map are loaded, or something to that effect. I have absolutely no other framerate issues, so i don't think it has anything to do with video settings.

A friend of mine says this bug doesnt happen when using a gamepad to play with, can anyone confirm that?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just wanted to add my voice, I too am getting this annoying mouse stuttering problem. I have bought a legitimate retail copy of the game. The benablemousesmoothing thing hasn't worked for me, I thought it had because I ran around for ages in the saferoom without any problems but then within a couple of minutes of going out on a mission the problem is happening again. Maybe this backs up the theory that its something to do with loading.

Its really annoying, and I won't play the game in this state because I want to enjoy it properly. So I hope it gets fixed by a patch. I'm actually quite shocked that such a huge bug has gotten out in the first place, I mean there are ALOT of people on here complaining and its not exactly hard to miss.

This forum was an eye-opener. I don't usually pay much attention to what games a developer has done in the past but I noticed a forum here for KOTOR2. That game had a shocking rushed ending. On the other hand NWN2 was a great game. But if AP doesn't get fixed I might have to think twice about buying New Vegas ...

A friend of mine says this bug doesnt happen when using a gamepad to play with, can anyone confirm that?

That's probably because the code that handles player movement has been designed for and only tested with a console controller. Keep in mind that when you turn with controller the movement is mainly done at a constant speed, whereas mouse movement generated by a human hand is usually non-constant.

If Obsidian has simply taken the step to 'force-feed' mouse inputs to code designed to accept input from a controller then this, probably along with issues relating to non-optimised creation or loading of resources (textures, sounds, enemy spawns etc) may be the reason a lot of people are experiencing this issue when playing with a mouse.

I see this all the time with games that are ported from console and it's hugely annoying :ermm:

Edited by darrenecm