Where do I go for a refund?

Ok.. so I've been pretty stoked for Alpha Protocol and have had minor heart attacks each time they delayed the game, because this game, by the great Obsidian, maker of Mask of the Betrayer (mmm <3) simply cannot go wrong.

I was wrong.

I should never have wasted those 50 doolars ($) on pre-ordering this game, this game in 'alpha' stage. It is so mind numbingly aggravating I cannot express it ;_;

I'll just copy my Gamespot comment.

"I was dumb enough to pre-order it. The game is marred by so many annoyances, big and small. (these are some of them) Horrible shooting mechanic, bugs (enemies disappearing in one part of the map after loading another), HORRENDOUS AI, frustrating cover mechanic and the saving/loading part isn't exactly praiseworthy either.

The graphics are not 'Crysis' but they do the job.

What it does have is an entertaining/engaging story, great characters, progression and dialogue. I've recently bought a retro 2D isometric style RPG from 2007 called 'Eschalon' which I would rather play than this.

Either Obsidian needs a new publisher, a swap of some of the employees or stick with pen and paper games. Maybe go bankrupt so there are no more disappointments. No wonder there aren't any major pre-reviews."

THE **** WENT WRONG OBSIDIAN?

Now, my question is... where the F do I go for a refund?

What it does have is an entertaining/engaging story, great characters, progression and dialogue.

But you don't want to play it? :-

Naturally, you go to your games retailer for a refund.

Yes, the gameplay is clunky. We get that.

Enjoy it for what it is - it's not a fast-paced shooter, it's a choice-driven RPG.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yes, the gameplay is clunky. We get that.

Enjoy it for what it is - it's not a fast-paced shooter, it's a choice-driven RPG.

This would be fine if the combat wasn't everywhere.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Huh? There are tons of reviews out for this game. Maybe do better research before buying something next time?

Consider this bit of knowledge your "refund". Now use it going forward in the future, k?

Btw, Obsidian made a solid effort here. It has issues and that's irrefutable, but it's not bad by any means whatsoever.

Edited by Libertarian

What it does have is an entertaining/engaging story, great characters, progression and dialogue.

But you don't want to play it? :ermm:

Now now Tigranes, you're a mod, you don't have the privilege of sticking your fingers into your ears and screaming lalalala like the other two (3) replies to this thread.

While they are nice features, and make me want to play it, the rest is just...

Like ordering the perfect steak only to find out the gravy is made of feces. The steak is ruined.

Naturally, you go to your games retailer for a refund.

I bought it on Steam, would you have any knowledge as to how that works?

Edited by Viggo

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Steam_Refund_Policy

As with most software products, we will not offer refunds for purchases made online as outlined in the software license - please review Section 4 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.

We can make an exception for pre-ordered games if the request is received prior to the release date.

Considering you have already played the game, if I'm getting it right, looks like there's no refund for you.

Sorry =/

Fair enough, I just don't think the, uh, gravy, is that bad. Certainly not worth tossing the meat out. How far did you go? I recommend at least doing one hub after Saudi Arabia - the game really becomes stronger after the opening bit. Ironically, I've just bought Eschalon Book II and finished it - and I'd recommend AP over it any time (though both is even better).

No idea if Steam even does refunds unless there are technical faults, I doubt it though... PC refunds are a dying trend everywhere.

Fair enough, I just don't think the, uh, gravy, is that bad. Certainly not worth tossing the meat out. How far did you go? I recommend at least doing one hub after Saudi Arabia - the game really becomes stronger after the opening bit. Ironically, I've just bought Eschalon Book II and finished it - and I'd recommend AP over it any time (though both is even better).

No idea if Steam even does refunds unless there are technical faults, I doubt it though... PC refunds are a dying trend everywhere.

Alright then. I'll give it some more time, let it grow on me.

Yes the game is bad i must say it as much i tried play it and ignore the bugs the constant stutter it keep my i7 920 at 100% and that cant be, i load a checkpoint and was no enemies anywhere i was able to finnish the level and that is bad very BAD!! Who's fault is??.....the publisher who is greedy and want money fast?...is imposible to hit the market the players in 2010 with such a product is a shame!!

Yes the game is bad i must say it as much i tried play it and ignore the bugs the constant stutter it keep my i7 920 at 100% and that cant be, i load a checkpoint and was no enemies anywhere i was able to finnish the level and that is bad very BAD!! Who's fault is??.....the publisher who is greedy and want money fast?...is imposible to hit the market the players in 2010 with such a product is a shame!!

Bro, post in the tech support forums, it's not like everyone is seeing that bug.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

• 3 weeks later...

MR. Moderator, and other fans of this damned game.

Listen, the Dialogue system is better than ANY game out there. but THATS IT.... the rest is just a frustrating nightmare.

and i've read many fanboys saying, "well, its not supposed to play like an FPS... mehhhhhhhh. "

I wasn't LOOKING for an FPS, i was looking for a Spy RPG, like a mass effect for SPIES that DONT travel in space.

And besides, when you hold down LT, the game IS an FPS. So they should have at least given it some FPS treatment if only for that.

No i knew exactly what AP was supposed to be from the announcement about 2 years ago. I waited, anxiously, and as the OP says, i would freak when it got delayed. You know what i thought? they are polishing the game, it'll just be that much better.

it's crap. i play only for the dialogue, nothing more. other games could take a point from this dialog system, they even raised the bar higher than mass effect in that aspect. so i suppose that this game has it's place, as sort of a history lesson you can learn from.

play pistols and melee only btw, see how you like that ****.

Why is everyone complaining about the AI? Do you like MGS? If so, then I find the AI of the MGS series (1-3, have yet to play 4) to be completely retarded. A cardboard box moving around on its own or in a place where a box doesn't belong? Just ignore it. Shoot them in the arm with a tranq dart but they don't see the shooter? "Huh... must be my imagination... *THUD*" Until MGS 3, trying to do something other than stealth was a massive pain. I can keep going. I don't consider myself an AP fanboy since I was getting ****ed off every time it got delayed and was a bit disappointed with its apparent lack of polish, but to call the game worthless is a stretch. If you don't like it, that's fine, just try not to malign the publisher for not turning out the next Halo or something.

Edited by razgriz_1400

Yeah, I don't like MGS. The story is utter BS (ie: laughably bad).

If I want a more linear approach to stealth, I'd go for either Splinter Cell or Thief.

And I disagree, I find the dialogue system to be exceptional. The best to date, actually.

Edited by Libertarian

Bah, the dialog system isn't even that great.

Any system that uses "keywords" like AP or ME can hardly be called 'great' I agree.

It's more the reactivity, and that it matters what you pick, unlike ME or something where all 3 can still wield the same follow up line...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

just started playing AP again after loosing interest and i must say i am uncovering some pretty bad bugs... my pet hate is the save system. why could they not implement for the pc a manual save system? i mean if your gonna give us a auto save feature then give us the opportunity to at least restart a level or choose a checkpoint to restart on and not go back to a checkpoint we dont want to?

also i am on the airfield bit and when it starts i am stood up? the guard see me and my cover is blown. i play a stealthy character so to be exposed at the beginning of a mission due to a bug is unacceptable.

is there any official word on when there will be a patch???

I have a pretty old computer and the game doesn't feel very clunky for me. Well, when I have my firewall on the game runs horribly. So maybe you guys need to disable your firewall? Its smooth for me after that.

The save system is my only real gripe, and the game's short length. I love the game otherwise, very fun.

And that, folks, is one reason I DON'T buy games via Steam. Of course I almost never return a game, and if I've played it, I feel it was my bad if I purchased it and it was bad...however Steam, no matter how popular it is amongst some, still just strikes me as bad voodoo and singlehandedly killed MUCH of the PC market along with the game only download requirements (such as warhammer Dawn of War 2 which I would have gotten absolutely, had it not required a download even with a retail copy).

Now...I play on Consoles. AT least currently they have hard copies of games...though the future is beginning to look a little grim.

in that light, AP was made for console gamers like me, I hear the PC version is a little glitchy on the controls due to it being made for Console and having a rough transfer. I am probably wrong though.

It's a shame so many people are running into bugs. Personally I haven't run into any game crashing, super annoying bugs and found the core of the game quite enjoyable.

I'm on my third game mostly sneaking through the levels as fast as I can to see what different choices affect the story. This game I'm trying my hardest to defeat everyone with the flying knee to the face attack. It's highly satisfying.

Hopefully some technical problems can be worked around and bugs fixed, because AP is great fun.