AI and hacking

I really like the computer hacking mini game, its innovative, its not easy, but its also not hard. I don't understand why everyone seems to hate it. I only reason I understand was it makes ppl eye sore? Or dizzy? But I think for every normal person it should not been, until maybe they are getting too old. Acctually I hate the lockpicking and the other one with matching on the circuit boards. Those are really easy at first, but get near impossible near end game without any technician skills. Where else the hacking is leveled well thru out the game.

For those who don't feel dizzy about the hacking game, but cannot seem to beat it (even early in the game), here's the trick. I have yet to fail the game once, except the very fist time.

First looking at the 2 series on codes you have. Its a 5 letter/digit combination. The board below contains loads of letters/digits constantly jumping/switching up. The goal is find the same series of code you have and match them to the pair below. If you have,

3DEA1 and E42D6 for example, don't looking for the whole thing, you will fail most of the time, or takes you much longer than needed. Instead, look for the last code (or last and second last if both series have the same ending).

So look for 1 and 6. The reason to just look for the last one instead of the whole or the middle or first is because the way we read. Most should be reading from left to right in your daily lives, unless your east asian. It is easier to spot a still code out of all moving ones when it is surrounded by moving ones. Considering the first code is in the left, it will be closer to the edge, while the last will be mostly on the center area. I managed to spot the still one right away by using this method. If you move the codes at the same time you are looking, it will make life easier when the timer gets really short in the end.

This is just a trick that you can use if you are having trouble with the hacking. But to be honest, just pratice a few times (abort right b4 you finish or fail), your eyes and brain will have no problem handling this mini game at all.

The issue isn't so much about finding the right code, it's more about the sluggish controls (at least on PC). The left code tends often to be on the right field, which means you have to use the arrow keys and press like a madmen to the right. But time often runs out before you reach the matched code and you have to repeat the same process again.

Obsidian definitely needs to adress the mini games controls in a patch.

Edited by Morgoth

OK, I'm halfway through the game and hacking is very very easy. Basically:

On the PC, you can move both hack-codes simultaneously - one with keyboard, one with mouse. This speeds you up.

All you have to do is look for stationary letters in the jumble. I mean, if that very exercise is difficult, yes, this is going to be hell - some people do well with it, some people don't.

Putting in a few points in sabotage does make a big difference, especially if you can afford to fail once or let the rejumbler go once.

There has to be some kind of wonky **** going on that is hardware related or something. Because I litterally cannot move my mouse sequence to the correct position in time, even if i knew from the beginning where to move it. Its not that the hacking game is poorly "designed" its that something is broken with my input.

well the controls aren't really an issue if you spot the code right away, you have more than enough time move them. No need to press it rapidly, hold the keys...For the mouse, just move the mouse the direction you want the block to go. Although I admit the mouse control for the right block is a bit weird. Again, just move and spot at the same time. My average time to hack is less than 4 sec, and that 3 sec is pretty much moving the blocks...

The mouse - the reason it feels that way is because the code doesn't 'snap' to where your cursor is, like your normal mouse cursor would. Instead, the code moves line by line to where your mouse is, as if you are using it as a directional guide. We're obviously not used to this in a mouse.

I agree it is clunky and is not a good solution - hopefully it will be patched to allow 'drag and drop' of codes with your mouse.

well the controls aren't really an issue if you spot the code right away, you have more than enough time move them. No need to press it rapidly, hold the keys...For the mouse, just move the mouse the direction you want the block to go. Although I admit the mouse control for the right block is a bit weird. Again, just move and spot at the same time. My average time to hack is less than 4 sec, and that 3 sec is pretty much moving the blocks...

It might not be a problem for you. But really I have tried just trying to get the mouse block to move where I want it to and I still cant do it. There has to be a difference in how the input works for different people because I hear lots of people for whom this doesnt seem to be a problem. And if you can do it in 4 seconds then your input is drastically different from mine. So please dont dismiss this problem that some of us have.

The issue isn't so much about finding the right code, it's more about the sluggish controls (at least on PC).

The controls are quite slow on 360, which is the only issue really as the code position will occasionally change right before I get to it. Otherwise I find it to be pretty easy, and if the controls were faster it'd be too easy.

How does the lock picking work on PC? On the 360 you need to apply varying levels of pressure to the left trigger to get the tumbler into the correct position. I assume you use the mouse for this on the PC?

Edited by Hell Kitty

The issue isn't so much about finding the right code, it's more about the sluggish controls (at least on PC).

The controls are quite slow on 360, which is the only issue really as the code position will occasionally change right before I get to it. Otherwise I find it to be pretty easy, and if the controls were faster it'd be too easy.

How does the lock picking work on PC? On the 360 you need to apply varying levels of pressure to the left trigger to get the tumbler into the correct position. I assume you use the mouse for this on the PC?

Yes, just move the mouse vertically. It's very easy.

My only 2 gripes with this minigame is, the mouse movement while hacking is sluggish and the keyboard movement is slooooow.

The other thing is, after aquiring the skill "Hackers Luck" from the sabotage line sometimes those hacking and lockpick attempts abort for no reason after setting the first tumbler or code sequence. You just get thrown out of the minigame with an onscreen message "Hackers Luck" even if you set them correctly.

Edited by Lestrade

Hi

I have bad eye sight and it is 70 reduced so only have 30 % left. I also have the 30 % divided unequally like

10 on one eye and 20 on the other.

Because of this i find visual mini games like this one very hard.

But I finally managed to do it after a lot of tries.......

Great.

I dont hope that they put this minigame in the game other than in the beginning.

Best regards

iceb

Yea I understand how it is supposed to work now but I cant for the life of me gain control over the block of characters controlled by the mouse. Even if I know right from the start where to place it I dont think I would be able to navigate there in time. The mouse controls for this minigame are just horrendous.

I think im going to just not play until this is fixed.

Some people have no problem doing it, so I'd hardly call it "broken."

Yea i hack every PC i come across, i find it so easy i dont even skip one out of cant be assed ness. Whats hard about it? Just find the letters not moving and match them up with one of the 2 at the top

right and left sticks to move and rt and lt to place the code on top of the matching code (on 360) Its pretty simple...and you should be able to do it pretty fast.

Yea I understand how it is supposed to work now but I cant for the life of me gain control over the block of characters controlled by the mouse. Even if I know right from the start where to place it I dont think I would be able to navigate there in time. The mouse controls for this minigame are just horrendous.

Yea i hack every PC i come across, i find it so easy i dont even skip one out of cant be assed ness. Whats hard about it? Just find the letters not moving and match them up with one of the 2 at the top

right and left sticks to move and rt and lt to place the code on top of the matching code (on 360) Its pretty simple...and you should be able to do it pretty fast.

How about you try reading the text you are quoting.

How about you try reading the text you are quoting.

:ermm: My bad....didnt really mean to quote anyone then.

Hi

I have bad eye sight and it is 70 reduced so only have 30 % left. I also have the 30 % divided unequally like

10 on one eye and 20 on the other.

Because of this i find visual mini games like this one very hard.

People with your issues need to speak out more to game developers and the large gaming review sites.

Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamespot, Gamespy and others.

Developers used to build Cheats into their games. But since the Consoles started using Achievements we have lost these built in cheats.

There are many people who for a variety of reasons used these to enjoy and complete games. ( I don't know anyone who did not use cheats for Grand Theft Auto series to get past a few missions).

Now many no longer have that option, and there are a lot of games lying on shelves unfinished, but paid for.

I would suggest if you have the game for PC to check out www.cheathappens.com they provide Trainers that you can use to freeze the clocks on these minigames if it is too difficult for you.

Hope that helps you enjoy it! :ermm:)

Edited by Gel214th

Hell I used to play GTA with cheats and not even doing the missions at all. The only reason I play GTA was the open world and crazy cheats. but on topic, this is indeed an issue for some, I'm not denying it. Although I'm not sure they would do anything with it. Obs aren't known for making a lot of patches. And this game needs a lot of patches.

What's the point of being able to "abort" hacking if it leads to triggering the alarm anyway? I have many a perfectly executed stealth mission ruined this way.

There's more. A lot. Some even under time pressure. :*

Noooo.jpg

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You don't HAVE to hack every single computer and alarm and lock that comes your way you know. :) I'm useless at shooting so a lot of times I leave enemies satnding.

Or put points in sabotage...

You don't HAVE to hack every single computer and alarm and lock that comes your way you know. :)

I was referring to hacking computers to further the mission. E.g. two missions in Arabia.

Luckily combat is a non-issue and any fodder that appears after the sirens call are swiftly dispatched. But I'm guessing I'm missing out on perks and maybe missions this way.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You don't HAVE to hack every single computer and alarm and lock that comes your way you know. :rolleyes: I'm useless at shooting so a lot of times I leave enemies satnding.

Or put points in sabotage...

Im pretty sure you have to hack the computer that is the tutorial...

So I just tried to do the tutorial hack with an Xbox 360 controller and it is sooooooo easy compared to the impossiblity that is my mouse controls. But here is the problem, I dont want to play this game with an xbox 360 controller. And once you enable it, you can no longer use the keyboard. I would be totally fine using the 360 controller for hacking and then mouse+keyboard for everything else but unfortunately thats not really viable.

Don't know what the deal is with hacking - the mouse controls kinda suck, but it's still pretty easy.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies