European parliament grants itself Ipads to all its members

Meshugger

http://www.techinfospotlight.com/2010/05/a...for-apple-ipad/

Taxpayers will pay for this of course. Do you wanna know how much it will cost for each MP to download/stream each GigaByte? Me neither.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I imagine this is in place of laptops? If so, it is probably a cheaper alternative.

Full blown laptops? Sure. Laptops/netbooks with the same or more functionality than an Ipad? Not really.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You have to bear in mind though (and I'm not a fan of the EU), they do not get to keep these laptops. They are on loan, and probably seen as a cheaper alternative to a netbook.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I imagine this is in place of laptops? If so, it is probably a cheaper alternative.
No, it's ON TOP OF laptops, which they were already equipped with. Poor MEPs, God forbid they overexert themselves by lugging a multi-kilogram piece of equipment around! Too heavy? So how about using a notebook and a pencil instead, you useless lard-asses?

See, stupid **** like this is what makes putting lof in charge of a camp for the political elites look like a great idea.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I would object that you can't do any proper work on an ipad, but of course MEPs don't do any proper work.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Huh? Are we reading the same article?

Although MEPs have recently been equipped with new Hewlett-Packard laptops, some have told the bureau they find them cumbersome in comparison with the iPad. [...]

“We could get rid of our elderly PCs, some of which have outdated program such as Microsoft Word 2003,” the source said.

Yeah, Word 2003 is such an outdated tool. You can't do jack **** with it. Which, surprisingly, is exactly what they spend most time doing at the EP.

edit: beaten to the punch

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I still have my old Anti Maastricht Treaty campaign t-shirt. It might become a valuable collectors item some day ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

*ponders whethere it is worth it to try and go into European government in order to get an Ipad*

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Huh? Are we reading the same article?
Although MEPs have recently been equipped with new Hewlett-Packard laptops, some have told the bureau they find them cumbersome in comparison with the iPad. [...]

“We could get rid of our elderly PCs, some of which have outdated program such as Microsoft Word 2003,” the source said.

Yeah, Word 2003 is such an outdated tool. You can't do jack **** with it. Which, surprisingly, is exactly what they spend most time doing at the EP.

edit: beaten to the punch

Yeah, that's pretty ****ing pathetic.

Oh noes, word 2003! It only has a better interface than word 2007, and has almost no compatibility problems. The horror!

Oh, by the way, I'm still using word 2000. And it's fine.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

So, let's get this straight: EU gravy-train votes itself luxury.

... This is news how?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

... This is news how?

The point is that if you've had dysentery for three months then the dysentery is no longer news. What is news is that you have still not done anything about it.

At a time when we are collectively up to our eyeballs in debt, why the sainted f*** are we shelling out billions on all this pointless bureaucracy, that serves no purpose but the abrogation of our sovereignty?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"A parliament spokeswoman denied that there were plans to obtain iPads for MEPs in the

-Elwood Blues

If only we Brits hadn't been such c***s about the Commonwealth you wouldn't have to.

-Elwood Blues

... This is news how?

The point is that if you've had dysentery for three months then the dysentery is no longer news. What is news is that you have still not done anything about it.

At a time when we are collectively up to our eyeballs in debt, why the sainted f*** are we shelling out billions on all this pointless bureaucracy, that serves no purpose but the abrogation of our sovereignty?

Why indeed?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

The commonwealth is systemically completely irrelevant. An old list of British ex conquests. What do they have in common any more ?

You mean besides a common language, political stability, complimentary exports, and overall economic growth? Sports.

-Elwood Blues