What are you playing now

Gorth

Yeah, I've abandoned some games that I've paid for relatively early on, too. Bioshock and SimCity 4 come to mind as only lasting a couple hours. 5 minutes, though, is rather extreme-- a game would have to do something like give me a seizure in the opening cinematic to get that kind of reaction.

I quit Far Cry 2 in 5 minutes because the camera movements were giving me motion sickness... :(

I think that and FFAdvance are the only ones I sold without playing a bit; I think 30 minutes is usually the "turn off, having no fun" point.

You missed out on some awesome healing animations and the cool buddy system.

FC2 was a flawed game, but it had some pretty cool ideas.

Yeah, I've abandoned some games that I've paid for relatively early on, too. Bioshock and SimCity 4 come to mind as only lasting a couple hours. 5 minutes, though, is rather extreme-- a game would have to do something like give me a seizure in the opening cinematic to get that kind of reaction.

I quit Far Cry 2 in 5 minutes because the camera movements were giving me motion sickness... :lol:

I think that and FFAdvance are the only ones I sold without playing a bit; I think 30 minutes is usually the "turn off, having no fun" point.

You missed out on some awesome healing animations and the cool buddy system.

FC2 was a flawed game, but it had some pretty cool ideas.

Yeah that may be, but its "awesome healing animations" and "cool buddy system" vs "vomiting due to motion sickness".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I actually managed to finish the one game that has given me noticeable motion sickness. But that was Portal, which isn't exactly a marathon. It only really hit me after playing for about 45 minutes, so frequent breaks made it bearable. I think it was something to do with the unsettling feeling of not knowing which way was down.

I picked up Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts in a gog.com sale a couple weeks ago. (I'm not much of a platformer fan, but I decided they were worth a try based on their reputation.) Haven't decided which one to start with.

I had never experienced motion sickness in a game until Far Cry 2. Something about how the camera moved just didn't sit well with me though. To date its still the only game to make me motion sick.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For those on here who have played Resident Evil 5, your impressions on it as a single player game? I've heard it's only fun doing the co-op with a friend, but I'd rather play alone.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I enjoyed it playing alone, personally. You have to be wary of the computer AI for the other player, but overall that was never really a problem.

In fact I never played it with anyone else, so my experience was all single player.

Edited by Amentep

I picked up Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts in a gog.com sale a couple weeks ago. (I'm not much of a platformer fan, but I decided they were worth a try based on their reputation.) Haven't decided which one to start with.

BG&E is more of an action/stealth adventure than a platformer, although it does have some platformer bits.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I enjoyed it playing alone, personally. You have to be wary of the computer AI for the other player, but overall that was never really a problem.

In fact I never played it with anyone else, so my experience was all single player.

That's my biggest fear. Something about the stupid AI wasting ammo and never taking cover/retreating when it makes sense to.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's my biggest fear. Something about the stupid AI wasting ammo and never taking cover/retreating when it makes sense to.

Well I played it with a "don't give the computer stuff I might want to have later" approach and it worked fine. Typically the AI will have the controlled character retreat if the player retreats, so some awareness of the other characters situation helps.

the game is totally playable single player, don't sweat it. I recommend giving a rifle to the computer player and all the rifle ammo you find, they pretty much never miss a shot. keep all other ammo to yourself

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Some ridiculously cheap slightly old game via Steam.. Ghost Master.. a nicely humerous "strategy" game where you control the ghosts and try to deal with those pesky humans..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Currently smashing my head against the insane difficulty that is Veteran Difficulty in Modern Warfare 2. AI teammates that don't bother providing cover, backup nor help when taking out enemies (95% of the time) and enemies that have eagle eyes from 100+ feet while your trying to hide behind cover.

RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Currently smashing my head against the insane difficulty that is Veteran Difficulty in Modern Warfare 2. AI teammates that don't bother providing cover, backup nor help when taking out enemies (95% of the time) and enemies that have eagle eyes from 100+ feet while your trying to hide behind cover.

Kids these days... :rolleyes:

Joking, of course.

Veteran is absurdly difficult. For all the wrong reasons, which you described.

I got through it with WAY too many reloads. Oh, and I didn't start the game until it "recommended" me Veteran in the tutorial. Even then it was brutal.

Edited by Nemo0071

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Kids these days... :)

Joking, of course.

Veteran is absurdly difficult. For all the wrong reasons, which you described.

I got through it with WAY too many reloads. Oh, and I didn't start the game until it "recommended" me Veteran in the tutorial. Even then it was brutal.

Yeah, I think I reloaded a good 10-15 times per checkpoint and had to figure/luck out in the majority of situations. The times when you are able to take your time were not too bad, but when your forced to haul-ass it really became a pain in the ass. The favela in brazil kicked my ass so many times :)

Now, if only MW2 had MW1's online system, it would be the greatest action game EVAR.

To continue with my nostalgia kick.. a few hours on a lazy sunday afternoon with a little Tron 2.0... ahh, monolith productions, they always seemed to hit the spot..

To continue with my nostalgia kick.. a few hours on a lazy sunday afternoon with a little Tron 2.0... ahh, monolith productions, they always seemed to hit the spot..

Monolith was once a top notch FPS company. But since they got aquired by Warner Brothers they only shipped mediocre products. Like FEAR2 and Condemned 2.

I'm glad though they don't waste their time with FEAR3. Can't wait for a new announcement, maybe at gamescom. Hope it's NOLF3.

Monolith was once a top notch FPS company. But since they got aquired by Warner Brothers they only shipped mediocre products. Like FEAR2 and Condemned 2.

I tend to think of NOLF, NOLF2, and Tron when I think Monolith.. At least, they're the shiny dvd's that are firmly staying in my collection for years to come.. :lol:

I still haven't gotten around to getting hold of Fear 2 yet..

I tend to think of NOLF, NOLF2, and Tron when I think Monolith.. At least, they're the shiny dvd's that are firmly staying in my collection for years to come.. :lol:

I still haven't gotten around to getting hold of Fear 2 yet..

It... doesn't hold up quite as well as the original does. You don't feel scared anymore.

The addon pack is another matter, that is just a fist full of awesome that recaptures the first games mystique

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The only good FEAR is the original FEAR. Don't bother with the expansion packs, they weren't developed by Monolith and they feel cheap.

FEAR2, despite doing a lot things better than 1 (like more versatile leveldesign and art) just doesn't convey the gritty quality of 1. The story also went totally bonkers with 2. A shame, really.

Edited by Morgoth

I don't consider myself a graphic 'ho, but I'm discovering that really old games, the very pixelated 320 type resolution graphics are finally beginning to impede my enjoyment for most of those. I think part of it is having the 23" widescreen monitor tho, where it's either this super super super tiny window or stretched out to truly horrendous proportions. Should've kept one of the old small CRT's for such. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts