What are you playing now

Gorth

I agree with everything Slowtrain said. I'm also not outright comparing AP to DX. I just think it is a closer one than Splinter Cell. I guess I can see Mass Effect, as they are both dialogue heavy RPG's with a third person shooter element. I really don't expect every game to meet the level of Mass Effect though, I'd be disappointed often. But really, AP is a rather unique game. Sure, it has flaws, but it also has some greatness to it. I think it is looking to shape up as a cult classic.

Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. I don't even know why I'm bothering with it. How do you turn 1 minute of content into 15 minutes? Throw waves of clone enemies at the player. Damn this is getting tedious and redundant.

If they gave XP for every kill it'd be worth it, otherwise it's just for the masochist.

Still did it with an infiltrator though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, I'm sure it'll get easier and a little quicker once I get out of the low level range. But, it's still pointless unless, as you said, some XP were involved. Be that as it may, I'm enjoying it more this time through as I no longer have this bitch around, interupting my entertainment. Hooray! :)

Damnit, people, stop giving me the urge to play Deus Ex again!

I use that as my soundtrack to going into the office every day. Fitting as my company's about the same as UNATCO

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm getting tired of the whole Deus Ex worship which came along with the release Alpha Protocol for some reason. Yes, DX was a good game, better than the sum of its parts, but it's certainly not the one and only game to judge every other game by.

I'm playing Alpha Protocol :)

And I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but this game is pretty frickin' cool :)

I think people at work hate be because I talk about how awesome it is to much.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm getting tired of the whole Deus Ex worship which came along with the release Alpha Protocol for some reason. Yes, DX was a good game, better than the sum of its parts, but it's certainly not the one and only game to judge every other game by.
Yes, you people need to go back to Fallout worship.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Deus Ex and system shock 2 ARE the games by which I will judge any shooter/rpg hybrids until either of them are surpassed. (i think deus ex surpassed system shock 2 in every way but shodan)

mass effect 2 was a pretty awesome shooter/rpg hybrid, but still not as good as deus ex imo

the deus ex worship started ten years ago, not when alpha protocol was announced

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I get tired of the Bioware worship, but yet it continues. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Deus Ex and system shock 2 ARE the games by which I will judge any shooter/rpg hybrids until either of them are surpassed.

Yup.

hybrids (i think deus ex surpassed system shock 2 in every way but shodan)

I think SS2 was the better game in a focused sense. It did less than Deus Ex but it was stronger in that singular vision. Deus Ex though was probably the more complex gamng experience.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Deus Ex and system shock 2 ARE the games by which I will judge any shooter/rpg hybrids until either of them are surpassed. (i think deus ex surpassed system shock 2 in every way but shodan)

mass effect 2 was a pretty awesome shooter/rpg hybrid, but still not as good as deus ex imo

the deus ex worship started ten years ago, not when alpha protocol was announced

...and it was an awesome game, ten years ago.

By putting some games on infinitely tall pedestals, we tend to overlook the negatives. If you go back and take a long critical look at Deus Ex's writing, voice acting, shooting mechanics they don't really stand up to modern standards.

We don't need sacred cows on gold pedestals that are the benchmarks for everything else. Learn not only from what they did right, but also from their mistakes.

i agree about sacred cows etc and all that, but seriously, some things are on pedestals because THEY DESERVE IT.

I watched casablanca for the first time a couple years ago. guess what? It's ****ing amazing. Not at all overrated imo despite having been filmed in a soundstage and not on location and not having any whizbang effects. Im not saying deus ex is as good as casablanca, but the idea of a classic being a classic because it's really just THAT GOOD is a sound one imo.

Aliens is still the best sci-fi action movie imo

the godfather? still the best mafia movie.

classics aren't classic because someone 50 years ago said "this shall be a classic forever!", they are classics because they deserve it because they are awesome. still. Of course, to someone without the ability to recognize quality, casablanca might be boring, the godfather might not have enough explosions, and deus ex might have "average" graphics.

deus ex IS a classic, as is fallout (recent games might become classics too, in fact we had a whole thread about this very topic about a year ago, i should know, i created it)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Even if they share some similarities, games and movies are fundamentally different so your comparison is invalid.

Also, I never mentioned graphics, the whole medium has changed since 2000.

Edited by Purkake

i agree about sacred cows etc and all that, but seriously, some things are on pedestals because THEY DESERVE IT.

I watched casablanca for the first time a couple years ago. guess what? It's ****ing amazing. Not at all overrated imo despite having been filmed in a soundstage and not on location and not having any whizbang effects. Im not saying deus ex is as good as casablanca, but the idea of a classic being a classic because it's really just THAT GOOD is a sound one imo.

Aliens is still the best sci-fi action movie imo

the godfather? still the best mafia movie.

classics aren't classic because someone 50 years ago said "this shall be a classic forever!", they are classics because they deserve it because they are awesome. still. Of course, to someone without the ability to recognize quality, casablanca might be boring, the godfather might not have enough explosions, and deus ex might have "average" graphics.

deus ex IS a classic, as is fallout (recent games might become classics too, in fact we had a whole thread about this very topic about a year ago, i should know, i created it)

You are talking about movies, can't you seriously think of games that help your case? :unsure:

The problem with the game "classics" is that they go over the heads of almost everyone, so is left up to the cult following. The problem with game classics is the hardware, there is emulators and re-releases but I feel that the next generation that picks up a Mario game for the first time and goes back to the original won't feel the same as I did.

Some games are timeless yet other classics are bound to be lost because of generational differences.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

your comparison is invalid.

very nice :unsure:

So comparing Casablanca to Lost In Translation or Godfather to Departed is the same as comparing Doom to Half-Life 2 or Final Fantasy to Mass Effect?

Games are fundamentally different because the games change radically with the technology while movies don't.

Also, I never mentioned graphics, the whole medium has changed since 2000.

And boy am I glad it changed!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So comparing Casablanca to Lost In Translation or Godfather to Departed is the same as comparing Doom to Half-Life 2 or Final Fantasy to Mass Effect?

Games are fundamentally different because the games change radically with the technology while movies don't.

Ehm... ever seen Pocahontas or Avatar??? now say again that technology does not change in movies...

And Doom comletely destroys Half-Life 2 in gameplay, fun, multiplayer and replayability...

Writing in Deus Ex is far from perfect as I've already said in other threads (story structure, dialogue etc. without even mentioning voice acting) but, the industry standard is still as low as ever. :ermm:

And this...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours