Uniloc on Steam = Lost sale

What I'd say is, though, if you look at it like that from a practical point of view, then only one question matters - how invasive and inconvenient is the whole package? The answer? Not very,

I agree. But how inconvenient is it when every game wants to have to have their own scheme and rules about activations? Very. I really don

Edited by Yachemenev

So you're saying that any company that produces a game that is being sold through a lot of outlets, retail stores, different online stores beyond Steam.. should then put the expense of having multiple DRM's on a game to suit each individual outlet?

They produce a game, they put a single DRM to it, then put it out there.. Why should they then have to chop and change it just for one particular form of outlet?

Besides, if you consider it a case of double DRM, why don't you just buy a retail copy so you have the disc and all? Or if it has to be a download, why not use one of the online suppliers that's not Steam? Then you won't have to deal with the hassle of Steam as well as the games DRM....

All seem valid options if you feel using the Steam version is "wrong" in some way...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Besides, if you consider it a case of double DRM, why don't you just buy a retail copy so you have the disc and all? Or if it has to be a download, why not use one of the online suppliers that's not Steam? Then you won't have to deal with the hassle of Steam as well as the games DRM....
Because he'd have to make an excel file for the disc activation for this one game.

Somehow I doubt that the installer won't tell you how to activate the game every time you install the game, but whatever.

Because he'd have to make an excel file for the disc activation for this one game.

Somehow I doubt that the installer won't tell you how to activate the game every time you install the game, but whatever.

For this one game? Please read the posts again.

And for you suggesting to buy the retail version, do the same.

Edited by Yachemenev

~snip~

Er, what? The developer already made their money on the first sale. What in the world makes you think they should get paid for every resale of the same product from now till the end of time?

I never said they should get paid for resales. Of course not, but I'm saying that if we want to support the industry whose fruits we so enjoy, and which is in fact not doing at all well (at least development houses don't), we should do so by purchasing new copies, and not buying used.

They make no money when you buy a used game. The only one making money (and at a huge profit in fact) is the used game retailer (gamestop being the primary culprit these days). I'd rather ensure the developer makes some money off of my purchase than the retailer, who by focusing so much of its business model on used sales has now become a parasite on the industry and is actively harming it (which is why most developers now resort to various schemes to reward new game purchases).

It is a riduculous situation, yes, but now the gaming industry is locked in a sort of struggle with its own retailers, working to deny its retailers used sales while the retailer tries to maximize them through its own schemes. But to me, the developers are the ones doing the hard work, and they're the ones who should be rewarded (assuming they do good work, of course).

Gone are the days (if they ever existed) when the industry could simply absorb such losses. Barring ludicrously huge successes, most houses tend to be on the edge and need as much help as they can get. Too many good studios have come and gone to suggest otherwise (and even the big publishers tend to be in the red these days). Thus, let's not feed the parasites. :)

Itkovian

So you're cool buying a used copy of the game for a different platform, then waiting to buy the game when the DRM is patched out? Or buying the game for retail for PC? Steam or bust, right nao, or else you go and give gamestop your money for a used version?

Edited by Thorton_AP

So you're cool buying a used copy of the game for a different platform, then waiting to buy the game when the DRM is patched out? Or buying the game for retail for PC? Steam or bust, right nao, or else you go and give gamestop your money for a used version?

You're not making a statement. You're having a temper tantrum.

None of the alternatives are my prefered ones. I

Edited by Yachemenev

I'm not sure I really understand why you're so adamant on buying a PS3 used copy instead of a retail one, but whatever, it's your call.

Can't you simply buy a retail copy of the PC game when the DRM will be patched out though, or you've decided to avoid buying boxed copies and just go for Steam?

For this one game? Please read the posts again.

That's been my planning, I've had a retail on pre-order for awhile.

I guess my main puzzle that if you say Steam as is, is a form of DRM, but then most games from Steam also have Steamworks as DRM.. they suggests they have two forms of DRM... Or is that just a warped way of looking at it from the things you've said...

I mean, okay, apparently you like Steam, you like Steam's DRM. And you feel offended that a game that's available via Steam doesn't use Steam's usual style of DRM....

That's your point of view and personal preference.

Mine is that is seems a very artificial distinction to make, and makes a mountain out of a molehill. So I'm trying to understand it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I kinda miss the days when people made their purchase on the merits of the game itself, not the DRM it uses.

No friggin doubt. Though to be honest there are some serious tough guy tatics in some DRM's (Silent Hunter 5, etc). I just pretty much summed this whole topic up to a stick in the mud. And I will just have to have fun with my Steam provided Alpha Protocol. While other parties of the topic play it on thier PS3.

Last time I will mention it though...Steam itself is not DRM. I can move a Steam provided game from the Common folder into a folder of its own, put it on my external HD and play it on my wife's computer. Just like Gamersgate. Of course though that only counts for some of the Steam provided games :thumbsup: (before anyone bends my words) BTW: 94 Steam purchased games. 24: Gamersgate games, 5 D2D games.

Have fun.

One point you are also ignoring is, why not buy a new PS3 copy so that the developer doesnt get screwed out of money, cause if you buy used, thats less money for them, and more for Gamestop.

Yachemenev stated in a previous post, that if he bought AP new as a PS3 copy it would show him as supporting console over PC games. It confuses myself as well, but alas he must be a Taurus.

One point you are also ignoring is, why not buy a new PS3 copy so that the developer doesnt get screwed out of money, cause if you buy used, thats less money for them, and more for Gamestop.

Yachemenev stated in a previous post, that if he bought AP new as a PS3 copy it would show him as supporting console over PC games. It confuses myself as well, but alas he must be a Taurus.

Wouldnt buying a used PS3 copy do the same?

Wouldnt buying a used PS3 copy do the same?

The way I figure yeah, more so now since some places like Gamestop keep track of used game sales.

Last time I will mention it though...Steam itself is not DRM.

Incorrect.

I can move a Steam provided game from the Common folder into a folder of its own, put it on my external HD and play it on my wife's computer.

Those games are the exceptions to the rule and should not be viewed as the whole of Steam.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Steam itself is not DRM, unless the distributed games have its wrapper. Bit of an extreme example of the difference, but X-COM/ UFO Defence is exactly the same if purchased from any digital distributor and does not require Steam running even if purchased from it, and can be freely transferred between limitless computers simply by copying. Obviously Valve likes to have games sold on Steam with the wrapper installed (as do most publishers, for piracy prevention) as it forces people to use the client and gives them lots of valuable info while increasing its ubiquity, but it isn't essential.

If what has been said about AP is true then it will be exactly the same on Steam as on D2D or GG and once installed you will not have to have the Steam Client running ever again to play, if you felt so inclined.

I rather like dividing Steam into three different bits for these sorts of purposes- the Steam Client, Steamworks ("Steam Wrapper"/ "Steam DRM") and the Steam Digital Distribution service- as it makes things a bit more clear even if the client and distribution separation is a bit artificial.

How on earth am I going to know what I will be doing in two years time? How can we even be sure that it will get patched out. Obsidian may have been shut down, and the people responsible for the game at SEGA might have no interest even touching this game then.

Then buy the used copy in two years time. No video game ever requires you to own it right away.

You're just rationalizing an excuse to rant, and to not stick to your alleged convictions.

If you'd rather tell Gamestop that used console games is what they should stock, then more power to you. From a "taking a stand" perspective, you fail miserably.

If you're going to come onto a video game message board espousing your convictions and principles regarding DRM, the point is undermined when you demonstrate a complete lack of actually sticking to your convictions.

I have bought 51 games on Steam (not including expansion packs), and I vote with my dollars to support steam as a distribution service, and the PC as a gaming platform. I don't just buy steam, and also use services like Gamers Gate and Direct2Drive, because in general I support digital distribution.

I have not bought games like Splinter Cell: Conviction (a game I really want to play, especially co-op) because I do not agree with the DRM model used. I find it too restrictive, and I do not want to support that particular model. I do this with the understanding that I might never get to play a game that I really, really want to play. I didn't go out and buy some used console copy to encourage Gamestop/EB Games to stock more used console games instead of new PC games.

If the Uniloc DRM is a dealbreaker for you, then you obviously don't want Alpha Protocol enough to compromise your position. That's fine. So don't compromise your position, and hold Sega to their guns if/when they patch out the DRM. On the plus side, your sale will tell Sega that "hey, when you removed the DRM for this game, I bought it. Take note."

But yeah, go tell Gamestop that you think used console games are the way to go. Thumbs up.