Would Obsidian ever work on another VTM game?

Mirage

If I remember correctly, I think some of the folks that worked on VTMB are now working at Obsidian. I would literally be ecstatic if Obs announced it was workin on a VTM game, although now it would probably be based off of Requiem. Then there's the fact that Obs has the passion, and writers, to make a solid VTM game.

The likelihood of this happening?

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1

Uhm.. I'd say probably no for now, for various reasons.

First of all, let's clear a common misconception: Obsidian being the devs behind Bloodlines.

No, they're not. That was Troika. I think a couple of Troika's devs went to Obsidian after Troika disbanded, including Brian Mitsoda, I think he was the lead writer behind Bloodlines (lead or not, he worked on a lot of the dialogue of the game anyway).

Mitsoda worked on Alpha Protocol for a time, making a lot of the characters with Annie Carlson (which has worked on.. Storm of Zehir I think) and working on one of the first drafts of the story, later scrapped in favor of the version that's being published.

He left Obsidian to found his personal indie dev team which is.. Doublebear or what the hell it's called, and he's now working on the awesome concept known as ZRPG, an isometric, turn-based, survival role playing game set during a zombie apocalypse.

Second, Obsidian now has its hands full.I mean, we don't know for sure what the 'unannounced project' is, so there is still a spot open, but for now there's really nothing that suggests that it's a Vampire rpg, if anything, some little tidbits would suggest that it's a fantasy class-based rpg (mind you, that's extreme speculation on my part and will probably turn out wrong when they announce what it really is), they're also working on Fallout : New Vegas and the Wheel of Time game(s?) with Red Eagle Games at the lead.

Third, I believe that for now White Wolf isn't interested in single-player CRPG. Could be because the games published until now have been either canceled or have utterly failed (Vampire : Bloodlines is awesome, but it sold very poorly at the beginning.. I believe it's only selling decently now that Wesp has patched it), or because there's a World of Darkness MMORPG they've been working on (well, technically it's the developer they contracted that's working on it with them supervising).

So... yeah, I think we'll have to wait before we see another Vampire game, especially one as awesome as Bloodlines... let's hope not too long. :)

Not to sound terse, but I never said Obsidian made Bloodlines, I said "some of the folks that worked on VTMB are now working at Obsidian (or at least some of the people that worked at Troika)." It is one of my Top 5 games, I make it a point to observe details such as that. I suppose it is possible those ex-troika devs have moved on from Obs as well, I'll have to look into it more.

And yes, I am aware of Mitsoda's fate, I support his decision ZRPG sounds awesome :) Don't mean to get off topic.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1

Not to sound terse, but I never said Obsidian made Bloodlines, I said "some of the folks that worked on VTMB are now working at Obsidian (or at least some of the people that worked at Troika)." It is one of my Top 5 games, I make it a point to observe details such as that. I suppose it is possible those ex-troika devs have moved on from Obs as well, I'll have to look into it more.

You know but others don't, and it's easier to clear that mess before someone jumps on and says 'Obsidian is made of ex-Troika devs? AWESOME' imho. :)

You know but others don't, and it's easier to clear that mess before someone jumps on and says 'Obsidian is made of ex-Troika devs? AWESOME' imho. :lol:

True. Though, as I said, I think some ex-Troika devs are employed at Obsidian, but a very small number if at all. I wish Mitsoda would've stuck it out with AP, as he brings a lot of creativity to his projects. Oh well, can't wait for ZRPG :)

BOT: Hopefully another VTM games isn't far away, and a company like Obsidian is doing it.

Edited by Mirage

True. Though, as I said, I think some ex-Troika devs are employed at Obsidian, but a very small number if at all. I wish Mitsoda would've stuck it out with AP, as he brings a lot of creativity to his projects. Oh well, can't wait for ZRPG :)

As far as I know the characters he and Annie did are still in the game, though of course, the story changed so their role probably changed a bit, and their dialogue was written by someone else (Chris Avellone and maybe someone else I don't know too?) so the tone will probably be a bit different, no matter how true they wanted to be to the characters.

Avellone is an awesome writer too and I'm digging what I saw of Alpha Protocol's dialogues so I really can't complain.

Now back to the Vampire games... well of course I'd like an rpg based on it, and actually I think that the new setting would suit Mitsoda's writing much more than Vampire : The Masquerade, but I don't know how they could translate the ruleset in a decent manner for a CRPG, and I don't see any sign that indicates that White Wolf is interested, sadly. =/

Some ex-Troika employees are still working for Obsidian.

*Mark Bremerkamp - Lead Animator at OEI (VtM:B)

*Daniel Alpert - Character Artist at OEI (ToEE, VtM:B)

I don't know if Justin "Nivbed" Cherry (VtM:B) remains at Obsidian but he was the art director on MotB and SoZ.

Edited by funcroc

• 2 years later...

So sorry if this has been brought up before but the search feature is not working well for me.  I'm sure its my fault entirely.

But with the whole kickstarter thing being such a success and a recent interview I read from Obsidian about how Atari hampered them so badly, is there any chance of a Bloodlines sequel.  Its one of few games that I can count on one hand that I've played more than once.  It may have done badly then but with todays backing and vampire popularity, I think one done withouit a publisher being an absolute pain in the arse would be amazing.

So sorry if this has been brought up before but the search feature is not working well for me.  I'm sure its my fault entirely.

But with the whole kickstarter thing being such a success and a recent interview I read from Obsidian about how Atari hampered them so badly, is there any chance of a Bloodlines sequel.  Its one of few games that I can count on one hand that I've played more than once.  It may have done badly then but with todays backing and vampire popularity, I think one done withouit a publisher being an absolute pain in the arse would be amazing.

Close to none, WOD belongs to CCP and they make their own games (MMO).

Edited by C2B

Surely it shouldnt be that much of a problem.  They can still make a bloodlines style sequel, no similar to Torment which has a newer system too.

And what is Bloodlines style?

I think a bloodlines spiritual sequel would loose much more without the setting.

I actually thought the setting rather uninteresting (vampire overuse syndrome?) and the game was good despite it, not because of it. Sounds, music, visuals, voice acting, art direction, dialogue, just about everything else contributed to the dark and ominous "style". I don't think the game actually needed "vampire" clans to be interesting, anything slightly unusual/supernatural would have done. Just guessing, but I think, like Planescape: Torment, most people who played and enjoyed the game were clueless about the setting and the background before (and after) playing.
  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

While I was familiar with the white wolf pen and paper game, and it was awesome to see it in this, theres no reason why they couldnt just have a few vampires but not call them ventrue etc, and not use the names of some of the powers, like protean etc.  Make up their own names for the skills, vampires can be called something different.  I loved how all the clans had their own way of being written and their own special side quests.  Malkavians were amazing for their dialogue.

And what is Bloodlines style?

I think a bloodlines spiritual sequel would loose much more without the setting.

I actually thought the setting rather uninteresting (vampire overuse syndrome?) and the game was good despite it, not because of it. Sounds, music, visuals, voice acting, art direction, dialogue, just about everything else contributed to the dark and ominous "style". I don't think the game actually needed "vampire" clans to be interesting, anything slightly unusual/supernatural would have done. Just guessing, but I think, like Planescape: Torment, most people who played and enjoyed the game were clueless about the setting and the background before (and after) playing.

But, the style of dialouge was rooted in said vampire clans.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

I don't know if Justin "Nivbed" Cherry (VtM:B) remains at Obsidian but he was the art director on MotB and SoZ.

Tim Cain yo, don't forget the Cain.

Tim Cain yo, don't forget the Cain.

That post is from May 2010. Tim Cain was still at Carbine Studios at the time.

It is, as far as I can gather, also on the backburner at CCP, they are already running two MMOs (in the same, shared universe) one of which is due out soonish (the other has been running for 10years already).

CCP is one of the few companies producing MMOs that can count on at least some interest from me as I consider them the least likely to produce another tired EQ/WoW clone and actually *really* innovate. They sure have the track record (EVE is unique as a MMO and one can hardly consider a MMO that is celebrating its 10th birthday and is still growing a failure...). Alas they also have a track record for writing pretty awesome lore and then utterly failing to do something with it ingame (though admittedly, they are working on it).