A roleplaying campaign blog (WHFRP)

You will, of course, recall* that the players were considering the offer put to them by the elaborately puffed up castellan, at their repose in a bungalow servant's dwelling on the grounds of the distaff Gorthoba's villa. Ten gold pieces paid at the start of each week, plus a loyalty bonus.

Nevin decided that, given the absence of anything better to do and the generous offer he would accept. He decided in about ten seconds.

The dwarf, however, got slightly carried away with the business of negotiation. I'm still not sure whether he was just roleplaying or confused by having to stir the curry, but the player questioned the castellan at great length. He then tried to demand more money. I considered the castellan's position, and his likely attitude to buying off miscreants in teh first place and decided that he wouldn't budge. I expected he'd be hostile to say the least, and just itching to find away to get these two lowborns out of his hair; which a quick fellowship test confirmed. He sniffed and emphasised the non-negotiable nature of the deal.

However, pursuing an admirable, but misplaced faith in the power of creative negotiation the dwarf insisted that he needed some sort of sweetener, and that he should receive training in the martial arts. The castellan considered this, and swiftly realising that he had no armsman to do the instruction it would mean hiring one. "You can hire one yourself with the funds promised," he replied archly, and reiterated the generosity of the deal with dinstinctly 'closed' body language.

The dwarf, however, insisted that the deal was unfair. To which the functionary replied that they should be aware that he had been instructed to ensure that the players did not talk, and had no facility for locking them up. But even this proved insufficiently pointed, and the dwarf reiterated his demand. This in turn provoked the castellan to blow up into a fury and storm out, returning some minutes later to a bemused dwarf, accompanied by the entire house guard of nine men. the dwarf, he said, was to accompany him. Nevin, on the other hand was to remain locked in the servant's bungalow.

Taken to the entranceway, the lady Gorthoba briefly interviewed him, and in spite of the evident worsening situation, the dwarf insisted on his terms. That he receive free tuition. I had hoped that the lady might have some good news to ameliorate her temper, but rolling for this it emerged that she was in a foul mood, mocked already by her generally weak position - which I noted for reference. The dwarf's fellowship being so low, he only made matters worse, and she flew into a throughly magisterial fit of temper and began angrily conferring with the cowering castellan. The dwarf narrowly avoided understanding this conversation as it was rapid and furous. But I hinted that there was something about not being able to lock him up.

I think the dwarf only realised something was seriously awry when he was stripped (yet AGAIN) of all his belongings by angry humans, bound, and lead off towards the swamps they had traversed the previous day by the party of guards. At this stage I really didn't understand what the player was playing at and fervently hoped he made some attempt to free himself, as unarmed aginst nine guards he had no chance whatever and would just get skewered. They, in turn, marched grimly with the intention of throwing him upside down into a salt marsh and letting the water do him in.

*or just read above

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 5 months later...

Sorry about letting this slide for a while. If we get a couple of projects oriented in the next few days I aim to reactivate the campaign.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 year later...

We have some new players and some new characters. Time will tell if I chave time to include them here.

-Elwood Blues