what happened to the Lair?

Ozymandias

Every time I go to mistress lair I'm struck with a feeling of extreme nausia and have to click out of there ASAP. If I wanted to read about soppy, boring and whiny girls' weddings I'd go to.... no, wait, I can't see myself ever wanting to read about soppy, boring and whiny girls weddings.

What else can I do to make people think I'm really female? I have to talk weddings or people will be onto me. Thanks for thinking I'm boring soppy and whiny though, I must be doing something right!

Have you seen any evidence that would lead you to that conclusion? Because I honestly haven't. Or is your line of thinking that because a female runs the board, that must be the only reason anyone goes there? A lot people, myself included, migrated there simply because the Interplay boards became reduced to an endless cycle of the same redundant discussions, and it seemed like a good alternative. There were a lot of people already posting there.

"evidence", heh. That's like asking if I have evidence that immigrants would rather go to Germany than to Denmark, because Germany is a nicer place. It has no evidence, it's simply logical, why else go there, and why else go there en masse?

In any case, you can't deny that once a community is known as a chick-community, people join up there or become active there because of that. Just look at the UV.

I did join up at NMA by the way, if you don't remember. Though that didn't last long. After trying to defend some russian kid being raked over the coals by half the board for suggesting that maybe the folks there should be more open-minded to BOS, (even though I didn't share that viewpoint) and for his flawed use of the English language, that Roshambo guy decided I had to be banned. How dare I question someones cyber bully routine? Forgive me if I didn't find it to be the bastion of mature discussion. Mature grown men don't need to use the interent as a tool to anonymously harass people. My opinion of course.

I will not defend that in the sense of "but your opinion sucks and we're right", because I do not support that.

However, I've known Rosh for a long time now, some 5 years or so, and I respect him greatly. You may not agree with him, and often neither do I, but he is very clear. The Fallout forums (and at times the news forum) are *his* territory. He is very clear to people that there are certain boundaries, set by him, that you have to respect. Remember, you're on his territory, hence it's his rules.

Generally his boundaries are "don't be a dumb-s***". Are all people he bans dumbs***s? Not at all. But they should have the common sense to know when to back of and leave it rest.

And a lot of NMA has grown around Rosh, yes, same as DaC and Vault13 of old. Can't help that. It was a reaction of the overblown phanboyism of Interplay, exemplified first and foremost by PaladinWhatever 2.0, a kind of counter-measure to balance it out. I don't agree with it, because I don't agree with being that unneutral. And large portions of NMA agrees with me, but hey, it's still Rosh's turf.

But all of the above is completely besides the point. Or do you think "OH YEH BUT WHUT ABOUT NMA?!" is a good counter-argument to defend Missie's.

If you think a bunch of people being able to live peacefully with each other displays maturity you're very wrong. Humans are not, by nature, accepting of other people's opinions. Generally peaceful coexistance just shows that people either don't care enough for their opinion to defend it or that it is a mass, bland and thus uninteresting opinion. Not to be offensive or anything, that's just how it generally is, ey?

Your ban was just freaky, though, but I've never really looked at it, since you never complained. I think welsh mentioned it being "strange" once before, though. I'll dive into it, whether you want me to or not.

Then again, maybe I'm just being naive.

(...)

Because like most people, I'd like to think I'm capable of individual thought.

Yes, you are naive.

inXile line producer

hi,

I don't know where some of you are getting info about the lair. but ok.

1) I don't know what a chick community is, but 95% of the people who post at the lair are male.

2) There's not much blandness at the lair. Tons of thoughts and opinions, SOme of the forums are quite brutal in that regard. But there's a lot of casual spam posting as well which breaks up the hardcore debates.

3) Its obvious some of you don't know MIssy very well. When that happens I think people should be careful what they say. But that's just me.

4) True, its not a game-centric forum, but that's really the only difference.

Anyway, you are all welcome to come by. I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea, but stop by and take a sip. Maybe you will like it.

:lol::o

kbai

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

1) I don't know what a chick community is, but 95% of the people who post at the lair are male.

You do realise you're on the internet, right?

In-ter-net

2)  There's not much blandness at the lair.  Tons of thoughts and opinions,  SOme of the forums are quite brutal in that regard.  But there's a lot of casual spam posting as well which breaks up the hardcore debates.

The above description, especially "spam breaking up hardcore debates" really would place Missy's low on the rank of serious places, y'know.

You can have spam, and you can have debates. If you let the two makes, well, hey, you got a moderating issue, but that, again, is just me

3) Its obvious some of you don't know MIssy very well.  When that happens I think people should be careful what they say.  But that's just me.

Very well? I don't know Missy at all and don't care to. That's completely besides the point

inXile line producer

Missy's Lair sucks. If you paid me enough I might post there for a few days but it'd have to be a decent amount of money. I've been part of, and seen, quite a few of these places where girls build up their followings of flirting geeks and then deny that they exist, felt stupid whilst participating in it (if I wanted to follow a girl around at least do it in real life so there'd be some chance of a pay off), and felt sorry for others doing it as to me they're just making fools of themselves. There are a few females who I know online who I like, but there are a lot more of them who see that internet message boards are filled with males who are shyer and tend to have less experience with girls than people who spend less time around PCs, and seem to like the attention that gives them as the boards token female. Nope, I ain't touching Missy's lair, and am thankful that I have that choice.

(if I wanted to follow a girl around at least do it in real life so there'd be some chance of a pay off)

Like a sexual harassment lawsuit and a restraining order.

Overal, i haven't had any complains about Mistress' Lair. Until now, of course. Just another forum for discussion.

"evidence", heh. That's like asking if I have evidence that immigrants would rather go to Germany than to Denmark, because Germany is a nicer place. It has no evidence, it's simply logical, why else go there, and why else go there en masse?

Ah, so you are basically just going by speculation. That seems a bit flimsy of an approach to judging an entire board communitys purpose in posting at a particular place.

In any case, you can't deny that once a community is known as a chick-community, people join up there or become active there because of that. Just look at the UV.

:D I'm sorry but I'm having trouble taking this seriously anymore. If it is known as a "chick community", someone forgot to tell me when I started posting there. Women, they really aren't that a big of a deal man. If the fact that there are a few female posters there bothers you, obviously you should keep doing like you have been and avoid the place. But please don't assume all the guys there share your same way of thinking.

By the way, did you know something like 44% of the computer gaming population is made up of women? You're bound to run into a few of them while discussing the subject, on any board.

I will not defend that in the sense of "but your opinion sucks and we're right", because I do not support that.

However, I've known Rosh for a long time now, some 5 years or so, and I respect him greatly. You may not agree with him, and often neither do I, but he is very clear. The Fallout forums (and at times the news forum) are *his* territory. He is very clear to people that there are certain boundaries, set by him, that you have to respect. Remember, you're on his territory, hence it's his rules.

Generally his boundaries are "don't be a dumb-s***". Are all people he bans dumbs***s? Not at all. But they should have the common sense to know when to back of and leave it rest.

And a lot of NMA has grown around Rosh, yes, same as DaC and Vault13 of old. Can't help that. It was a reaction of the overblown phanboyism of Interplay, exemplified first and foremost by PaladinWhatever 2.0, a kind of counter-measure to balance it out. I don't agree with it, because I don't agree with being that unneutral. And large portions of NMA agrees with me, but hey, it's still Rosh's turf.

But all of the above is completely besides the point. Or do you think "OH YEH BUT WHUT ABOUT NMA?!" is a good counter-argument to defend Missie's.

I was planning on leaving when I realized what the general attitude was there anyway. Kissing someones ass that I have no respect for isn't in my nature. Just thought it was kind of pathetic that he felt the need to ban me for disrupting his diatribe. Brios was kind enough to unban me pretty quickly, but there was no point going back. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people who's opinions I respect at NMA, including yours and Mr. T's - I'm not speaking ill of all of them.

My point was that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Kind of silly to accuse an entire forum of showing a lack of maturity when one you frequent really isn't any better, if not far worse.

If you think a bunch of people being able to live peacefully with each other displays maturity you're very wrong. Humans are not, by nature, accepting of other people's opinions. Generally peaceful coexistance just shows that people either don't care enough for their opinion to defend it or that it is a mass, bland and thus uninteresting opinion. Not to be offensive or anything, that's just how it generally is, ey?

Oh there are plenty of disagreements there. Otherwise it would get boring. But you can have a disagreement without resorting to petty name-calling, or abusing your power, and by at least having the decency to keep an open mind on occasion if you're going to engage in a discussion.

Yes, you are naive.

We'll just have to settle on differences of opinion then Kharn. Take it easy. B)

Missy's Lair sucks. If you paid me enough I might post there for a few days but it'd have to be a decent amount of money. I've been part of, and seen, quite a few of these places where girls build up their followings of flirting geeks and then deny that they exist, felt stupid whilst participating in it (if I wanted to follow a girl around at least do it in real life so there'd be some chance of a pay off), and felt sorry for others doing it as to me they're just making fools of themselves. There are a few females who I know online who I like, but there are a lot more of them who see that internet message boards are filled with males who are shyer and tend to have less experience with girls than people who spend less time around PCs, and seem to like the attention that gives them as the boards token female. Nope, I ain't touching Missy's lair, and am thankful that I have that choice.

:D I'm sorry but that's just nuts. And kinda creepy in a way too Teatime.

Guest Mistress

You know, the flirty geeks on the Lair tend to flirt with the boys more than the girls. I expect you probably have something insightful to say about that too. :p

But hey, you see things however you want to see them. I'll stick to judging people on what I know of them rather than what I imagine must be true.

With regards to NMA I think that there is a limited amount of ass kissing that takes place, though nowhere near as much as some other places that might have been discussed in this thread at some point. I don't think Rosh should be an admin, becuase he comes across as a bully to me, and the event that solidified my opinion of him was the way he handled Kumquat3's de-modding a few months ago.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling like this, in fact that kumquat3 thing sparked off the same debate on NMA. It's something I associate with a lot of the DAC/RPGCodex crowd unfortunately, though I'm sure they don't care what I think of them. Like with Missy's Lair, I choose not to go there if I don't like the people. NMA is OK becuase there's a fair balance of other people (a lot of them who, like me, only post to NMA and not Codex or DAC).

As to the creepyness of my post, well you may have seen it in real life, I know I have: there's usually one girl, they're kind of attractive and they flirt with EVERYONE. And they say 'oh for some reason I get on better with guys than with girls', and all their friends are males, so when you see them it's like them, a single female, surrounded by 6 or 7 male 'friends'. It often happens online from what I've seen, the difference being the girl doesn't have to be that attractive to do it since she can project an 'attractive' (flirtatious, or even just accepting and playing with all the attention) personality instead.

EDIT I haven't spent enough time at missy's to say that's exactly what's going on with all the females there, just the ones whose posts I had the misfortune to read and the subsequent ten billion monotonous replies. Anyway I think I've said all I need to say about it really.

Overal, i haven't had any complains about Mistress' Lair. Until now, of course. Just another forum for discussion.

Well that'd not be entirely right. Depends on who you listen to, really, but let me just say Mr. Teas remarks didn't surprise me, as I've heard these complaints before. There are more people of the same type as me and Teas, who're rather sensitive to that sense of boiling hormones.

The fact that such criticism seems rather novel to you of Missy's forum puzzles me somewhat, but it's also what makes this whole line of conversation strangely interesting.

Ah, so you are basically just going by speculation. That seems a bit flimsy of an approach to judging an entire board communitys purpose in posting at a particular place.

Are you implying I'd go by speculation too if I were to say I understand the reasons immigrants prefer Germany to Denmark, although I can't prove it? Tchyeah right. Call it an "educated guess" :p

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble taking this seriously anymore. If it is known as a "chick community", someone forgot to tell me when I started posting there. Women, they really aren't that a big of a deal man. If the fact that there are a few female posters there bothers you, obviously you should keep doing like you have been and avoid the place. But please don't assume all the guys there share your same way of thinking.

By the way, did you know something like 44% of the computer gaming population is made up of women? You're bound to run into a few of them while discussing the subject, on any board.

yousuckatinternetgrasshopper.jpg

I think you think I'm implying that this is a concious process. That people actually *think* "wow, a chick, I'll join up here".

No they don't. No more than they conciously think "that woman has this and that anatomy features, she's hawt". The internet, I'm sory to report, has always been a breeding ground of the socially inept (and 90% of the socially inept will deny they are, in fact, socially inept) and the socially inept get a certain something when a woman shows up on a message forum. If you have over-bearing female presence, even if it's just one active chick poster, you will, depending on the spirit of the forum, invariably end up with a chickocentric forum.

NMA suffers from it too, from the handful of females that post there, but it tends to be actively discouraged (no, not by moderating, but by social pessure).

I was planning on leaving when I realized what the general attitude was there anyway. Kissing someones ass that I have no respect for isn't in my nature. Just thought it was kind of pathetic that he felt the need to ban me for disrupting his diatribe. Brios was kind enough to unban me pretty quickly, but there was no point going back. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people who's opinions I respect at NMA, including yours and Mr. T's - I'm not speaking ill of all of them.

Your choice, though you might find GD more to your liking, but that's still Rosh's turf. TO, however, the hosted forum, is no longer Rosh's turf. That's mine.

Not everyone likes NMA and hey, that's not surprising. I've learned over the years that that's just the way it is...HOWEVER (big however):

I do not brush criticism aside. When another DaCer makes some asinine comment about NMA being this or NMA being that, I know he's just saying it out of habit, because NMA and DaC are like two rivaling kindergartens that insist on throwing faeces at each other for no reason except that it's tradition. But still it often contains a core of truth, and I always listen.

One of the most important factors of leading any succesfull community is realising that there always people that are going to think your community sucks, and the worst thing about that is that almost always the criticism uttered by those people (unless they're bonehead flamers) contains *some* core of truth. For that reason it's important not to brush criticism aside with a "if you don't like it, don't go there" or "maybe that's just, like, your opinion, man" (name the quote)

My point was that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Kind of silly to accuse an entire forum of showing a lack of maturity when one you frequent really isn't any better, if not far worse.

I do not believe in that. People have the right to criticise as they want, they just have to show a healthy dose of self-criticism along with it, else they're just being biased

Also, important here is that NMA's faults are not like the Lairs faults in any way.

Oh there are plenty of disagreements there. Otherwise it would get boring. But you can have a disagreement without resorting to petty name-calling, or abusing your power, and by at least having the decency to keep an open mind on occasion if you're going to engage in a discussion.

You'll never get a nice fiery discussion going that way. 'course, I try to prevent most name-calling, though I've simply learned to live with the state of things when it comes to Fallout subjects (I know, I know, I should try and work on that too), but a nice, fiery debate requires that you truely disagree, and *truely* disagreeing requires that you have little to no respect for the other person's opinion. "Respect is weakness", Conan would say. Which is not the same as not respecting the other person, you just don't respect his opinion.

In other words, "tolerate the person, not his opinion"

I really miss CC, he could spark some heated Christianity debates, he could

We'll just have to settle on differences of opinion then Kharn. Take it easy.

Dude read that again, it was a joke about you saying you like to think of yourself as capable of individual thought

inXile line producer

Guest Mistress
As to the creepyness of my post, well you may have seen it in real life, I know I have: there's usually one girl, they're kind of attractive and they flirt with EVERYONE. And they say 'oh for some reason I get on better with guys than with girls', and all their friends are males, so when you see them it's like them, a single female, surrounded by 6 or 7 male 'friends'. It often happens online from what I've seen, the difference being the girl doesn't have to be that attractive to do it since she can project an 'attractive' (flirtatious, or even just accepting and playing with all the attention) personality instead.

Ah well that rules me out then, Saint calls me backup date girl :p

With girls being surrounded by guys on gaming message boards....well....we do tend to be outnumbered, despite the number of girls that are statistically said to play games. There just aren't as many girls who are completely into gaming, and spend their time playing games, helping on gaming sites, posting about games, etc etc. So, if a girl is surrounded by guys who she communicates with on a message board, it isn't necessarily the case that she is in that situation because she flirts with them.

With regards to NMA I think that there is a limited amount of ass kissing that takes place, though nowhere near as much as some other places that might have been discussed in this thread at some point. I don't think Rosh should be an admin, becuase he comes across as a bully to me, and the event that solidified my opinion of him was the way he handled Kumquat3's de-modding a few months ago.

I wasn't *incredibly* pleased with that myself, but there was nothing to do because, in all honesty, kumquatq3 brought it up on himself. He had stated before (not publicly) that his mod powers on the News forum would just be used to post news, not to moderate the forum, which was the job of the rest of the NMA Team. He failed to do so, by deleting (not even moving or vatting, but deleting) a thread in which, apparently, Rosh and Saint P were attacking one of the few devs who still dares visit such hard-core fansites

Maybe he was right? I don't know, I can't know because the thread is gone, all I know is he was completely over-stepping his bounds and violating the agreement by which he was hired by using his mod powers, and on an admin no less. No matter how right he was in thought, the act was over-stepping his authority and was wrong.

And for that reason none of us could make any case against Rosh. In essence he was right.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling like this, in fact that kumquat3 thing sparked off the same debate on NMA. It's something I associate with a lot of the DAC/RPGCodex crowd unfortunately, though I'm sure they don't care what I think of them. Like with Missy's Lair, I choose not to go there if I don't like the people. NMA is OK becuase there's a fair balance of other people (a lot of them who, like me, only post to NMA and not Codex or DAC).

Like it or not the Codex and DaC (to some extent) survive exactly on being biased, unremitting ****. It's *what they do*. If a Codex newsposter doesn't completely humiliate a dev or crack down hard on some article in a newspost the people won't remain entertained, and they'll leave. It must be hell on any relations they have with any devs, though I agree with them that sucking up to devs just because they're devs blows big wind, and the old Interplay forums were rich with just that kind of ass-kissing.

inXile line producer

Guest Mistress
Like it or not the Codex and DaC (to some extent) survive exactly on being biased, unremitting ****. It's *what they do*. If a Codex newsposter doesn't completely humiliate a dev or crack down hard on some article in a newspost the people won't remain entertained, and they'll leave. It must be hell on any relations they have with any devs, though I agree with them that sucking up to devs just because they're devs blows big wind, and the old Interplay forums were rich with just that kind of ass-kissing.

That's what I like about RPGCodex. Well...I haven't been there in a while, but Saint's posts always tend to provide amusement. Funny old bastard.

Oh, I agree with "sucking up to devs just because they're devs blows big wind". I would say say the same about film stars or pop stars, obviously that happens on a much larger and more sickening scale though. Arse kissing for the sake of it makes me cringe. Not that I think that means you have to be a complete git either.

The fact that such criticism seems rather novel to you of Missy's forum puzzles me somewhat, but it's also what makes this whole line of conversation strangely interesting.

Well, the lack of criticism on my part comes from a somewhat simple set of reasons. For starters i'm fairly new there and am not that much of a regular user. What little time i spend there hasn't given me any insight which would lead me to have criticism of it. Also, i don't know the vast majority of people who post there. Hell, off the top of my head, i only know Volourn, ShadowPaladin, slowtrain, taks, Zap$$ter and Gromnir. I probably know someone else, but can't seem to remember anyone for now. And what little time i have spent there hasn't been enough to give me knowledge of others' personalities either.

(Note that i'm saying i know these people in the sense of knowing them as best as one can over the internet, and with minimal contact; aside Volourn, i don't talk much with the other people i mentioned, mostly because of a lack of points to discuss, or simply because i'm not exactly great "buddy" material, or even because i haven't spent enough time around them to loosen up.)

This isn't to say criticism of the forums isn't warranted or not; alls i'm saying is that i haven't found anything there that could lead me to make criticisms. I could dish out some form of criticism if i was more acquainted with the forums. As such, i could point out some things i personally feel to be wrong with forums i visit more often, as i'm better acquainted with what goes on there, and with its posters.

EDIT: Tried fixing quote tags.

EDIT 2: Damn. And Azael is there as well :p Forgot about him :(

ABout kumquat3, yes he was definately wrong in removing Briarious' post, it wasn't Bri's finest hour though for all we know he still means what he said. I do know that I haven't seen a single post by him anywhere since that incident, which is kind of sad (in a distressing, not pathetic, sense). We're all human. But I thought the way Rosh handled it was terrible. Kumquat3 is basically a nice guy, he gave the community inside info on FO3's status, and he made a mistake, that didn't deserve the torretns of abuse from Rosh, being labelled a 'moron' on all his posts that ROsh gave him. Rosh treated it as an opportunity to really lay into kumquat3 and gloat over him, not take it up privately or even say 'you've overstepped your bounds, sorry but you've got to go'. It's the RPGCodex reaction - show a bit of humanitiy, or human error, or compassion (which is what Kumquat did by deleting the thread that was just about to explode into a massive flame war all directed at Briarious - in fact I think Saint P and the usual suspects had already had a fair go, not that Briarious didn't bring it on himself), and they're all over you, gloating, and I don't like it: it's also the sign of a bully. ANyway it's over with now, kumquat doesn't seem to mind that much so what's done is done....

Like it or not the Codex and DaC (to some extent) survive exactly on being biased, unremitting ****. It's *what they do*. If a Codex newsposter doesn't completely humiliate a dev or crack down hard on some article in a newspost the people won't remain entertained, and they'll leave.

You could point out that the Codex has an extreme point of view, and associated reactions (likely just as extreme as sites that do virtual handjobs to certain companies and devs). Then again, the site's theme is precisely that. The site has a staff, and various regulars, who tend to dislike mainstream games, and certain attitudes within the gaming industry, which pretty much is the reason why they (me included) tend to "crack down hard" on some people, and situations. But its not really about entertainment, as far as i'm concerned; its about a community with a certain attitude and outlook, like any other community with a certain attitude and outlook. That we get entertained in the process, however, is a different thing :p

Edited by Role-Player

All the places you`ve talked about are virtual clubs, that have their own written rules and costumes, and fill particular needs, targetting specific crowds. Some do it better than others, there are clubs where`s easier to get in than others, and the interests can be very diferent, as also the community dynamics that evolve. So i`m not going to enter in a judgement game on it, i`ll just say i like Role Player even if i can`t stand Saramago, i like Kharn although i think Fight Club is overrated, i like Stillife even if i disagree with almost everything he says about games, and i have a devastating crush...er i mean i like Missy even if she likes Shadowpaladin. :)

I started going to NMA and the old Iplay boards because i was interested in the Fallout games, that were my company in long nights without sleep when my kid was sick. I feel now that the spirit of curiosity and openess, and beeing conscious of the existence of many things more important than games at that time is the way to go.

There are more important things out of this room, away from this monitor, i hope i don`t loose track of that . And for that i`ll have to accept the diferences in all those boards, the fact that they serve diferent groups, choosing diferent aproaches, and use them accordingly.

<3 Kharn <3 Missy

Having said that i operate that way as an individual, but there`s also the burden of common responsability, of defending what one sees as ideas or actions needed to help those that are close to you, beeing in the real or virtual world (but what is reality?...), so you`ll see me grumpy a few times, don`t worry :)

But in this case there`s no need in beeing grumpy about things that are diferent, no matter how exasperating they seem to be. Let`s party instead

B)

See? That's exactly the attitude I try to prevent, this happy-go-getter "oh, places are just different"

Yeah sure, could've said that about nazi-Germany too :) (I invoke Godwin's Law before anyone else beats me to it).

Doesn't prevent me to criticise places or take criticism seriously.

<3 Brio, though

inXile line producer