The Reviews

Sorry, a troll is only successful if he makes the target(s) angry, I was laughing. :lol:

me too, hehe.

That is such a fanboy statement, whenever someone says something that is against what they believe, it becomes a automatic response - TROLL!!!

Trolls love to call other people trolls

Fanboys love to conTROLL everything don't they?

Since I'm one of the few people to criticize AP on this forums, calling me a fanboy is a joke. The fact you think ME is better does not make you a troll.

This does:

Either way AP is fun, I like it, but obviously ME is on a whole different level.

Well I personally like ME better, does that make me a troll??? I think not. I never said I hated AP, in fact I like it.

I call this a serious case of fanboyism because when a person is so tight to the point of not being able to accept other people's opinion, they are butthurt over something and it is plain to see that the poor reviews this game has recieved is making more than a few people in need a butt pillow...with a lot of cusion., lol

Have you ever thought about the way you put it?

Honestly it came across as condescending and smug. Not exactly the way I'd like to present myself on a new forum. :sorcerer:

Well I wasn't trying to be perfect in my writing, but for what it is worth I did not mean to come across like that. I again really like AP, which is why I bought it and I am currently playing it. I haven't beat it so there is still more for me to see.

I read this and all I have to say is that all you have to do is read this and you can tell that there is a problem with it. It is amazing the lengths people will go to support and boost their favorite game just to give it some credibility.

"As a story narrated by a smoking man" - I had to laugh hard at this one.

"Mass Effect 2 moves you through sparsely populated boxes asking you to believe they're vast cities or sprawling space stations. It is absolutely not up to the task of what it intends to show you. But Alpha Protocol is under no such delusion. Its hubs are simply safe houses, and its levels are simply its missions. And although many of the missions are chintzy, there is no failed attempts at world building, because there is no attempt at world building. Alpha Protocol knows its limitations."

Great attempt to hide the huge flaw that Ap doesn't even have a world to ME great worlds. Calling it "boxes", again laughable.

there is a very biased writer on display here, lol.

Tom Chick is a chick, LOL!!!

Edited by Alphaboy48

What's up with all the hate for Bioware and Mass Effect? I love Mass Effect (mainly first one) and have LOTS of their merchandise in order to support them. Does it make me a troll? No, Mass Effect had problems maybe a bit less than AP, but still. I would love to see that Bioware implement many ideas from AP (if they can do it legally that is). But let's not throw rocks at people who like other game, ok?

I believe that there are only DeusEx, Vampires: The Bloodlines, Mass Effect and now Alpha Protocol that stand out as good western-RPG (Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale <3 and NWN are just epic for me and can't be used as example), don't know where to putt SWOTR because didn't play it. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

I was waiting for AP when it was announced, and bought right in the airport when I came back from vacation, so I missed all the reviews. And was very shocked to see reviews after I finished the game for the first time. Yes, game had bugs and as any person I would want to see some things differently, but game is good and stands out on the market which is full of junk these days.

It is amazing the lengths people will go to support and boost their favorite game just to give it some credibility.

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to to undermine someone else's opinion of the game.

There's a lot of positives in Alpha Protocol. The only bugs I have found is occasionally my character gets stuck when I use cover (it happened twice in Saudi, and once in Taipei, and only the Taipei required me to reload to a previous save point).

While I think the Hacking minigame is very clunky on the mouse, I don't share the sentiments that other people have that consider it unplayable or exceptionally hard. I do use the armor addon to improve my hacking, and now have about 9-10 points in sabotage as well.

I feel that Alpha Protocol has been a more enjoyable experience than Mass Effect 2 (and a much more enjoyable experience over Mass Effect 1). I like all three games though (I beat Mass Effect in one sitting..... one loooooooooooong sitting. I would have done the same to AP except I needed to go to work today :p)

Alpha Protocol may lack the polish of Mass Effect 2, but it is a better game. The story was so disappointing in #2. The character loyalty missions were great, but there weren't many missions dealing with the overal threat. It just kinda ended abruptly.

Alpha Protocol may lack the polish of Mass Effect 2, but it is a better game. The story was so disappointing in #2. The character loyalty missions were great, but there weren't many missions dealing with the overal threat. It just kinda ended abruptly.

Agree 100%

The funny thing is that you can prove the fanboyism here by simply going outside of this forum to other game sites and look at what they have to say and you'd laugh at the isolated nature of the fanboys in this thread.

"Everyone who likes the game is a fanboy."

Mods, please? Trolling doesn't get much more blatant than this.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The funny thing is that you can prove the fanboyism here by simply going outside of this forum to other game sites and look at what they have to say and you'd laugh at the isolated nature of the fanboys in this thread.

"mods please?" are you serious??? LOL!

Well according to you all, everyone who says another game is better is also a fanboy, so whatdaya have to say about that?

don't worry I'll wait...

Well according to you all, everyone who says another game is better is also a fanboy, so whatdaya have to say about that?

don't worry I'll wait...

List reasons. Listen to reasons.

Also, if you like a game more than another is entirely subjective and not a problem.

However, if you BASH another Game for NO GOOD REASON...... That is entirly another story.

Especially if you are ignoring flaws of other games you like when you do it.

don't worry I'll wait...

List reasons. Listen to reasons.

Also, if you like a game more than another is entirely subjective and not a problem.

However, if you BASH another Game for NO GOOD REASON...... That is entirly another story.

Especially if you are ignoring flaws of other games you like when you do it.

Never once ignored a flaw of ME1 or 2. I fully acknowledge the few there. ME1 - barren planets and framerate issues, which was the number one problem with the game. The story, characters and just about everything else rocked. Read reviews and you'll see those sentiments seconded.

ME2 - slow paced story and mini games. On a personal level, they left out some very key character progression.

Outside of that, both games were perfect. Looking at Alpha Protocol, the main problems acknowledged by everyone (including a friggin insider developer :) ) framerate, bugs, bugs, and more bugs (simply climbing a ladder breeds frustration), no polish, lack of explorable world, limited characters. No vehicles, squadmates, side quest, and its a short story for an RPG.

Truthfully I can keep going. The sad thing is that I found most of these flaws just in the first mission. The atmosphere in Mass Effect blows Alpha protocol out of the water. Alpha Protocol has a wonderful dialog system though, which is the only thing I give it over ME1 & 2, outside of that, it is simply not on the same level to even be compared.

Top Tier Western RPGs (latest decade): My Opinion

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Fallout franchise

Dragon Age

Oblivion

Second Tier:

Alpha Protocol

Fable I & II

others

It doesn't mean its not a good game, but the overall picture which include technical problems as well as overall enjoyment of the games, I'd have to say this list sums it up for me.

IGN - 6.3

http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093931p1.html

Gamespot - 6.0

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...col/review.html

Gametrailers 6.4

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-a...protocol/100742

Kotaku - They compare it rather unfavorably to Mass Effect 1

Damn those are some brutal scores.

It's safe to say that Obsidian definately is not on the same page with modern gamers. For us oldskoolers that might not matter but for company that need to make profit in order to stay aloat, it's a terrible thing. Obsidian will suffer the same end result as Looking Glass and Troika did, if they don't ace with Fallout: New Vegas.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

IGN - 6.3

http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093931p1.html

Gamespot - 6.0

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...col/review.html

Gametrailers 6.4

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-a...protocol/100742

Kotaku - They compare it rather unfavorably to Mass Effect 1

It's safe to say that Obsidian definately is not on the same page with modern gamers. For us oldskoolers that might not matter but for company that need to make profit in order to stay aloat, it's a terrible thing. Obsidian will suffer the same end result as Looking Glass and Troika did, if they don't ace with Fallout: New Vegas.

There is no way that they can mess up fallout, just impossible because they already have the base formula and ideas.

Agree 100%

That was my biggest disappointment.

Mass Effect 2 was polished and great. I loved assembling my team and doing their loyalty missions. Little did I know, though, that the loyalty missions were like 85% of the main story stuff. The first Mass Effect told a much better overarching story of the threat at hand. This one seemed less about that and more about your team that you assemble. When I finally took on the mission with my team I had assembled, I was shocked to find out that I had reached the ending of the game already.

And that final boss wasn't so great.

Overall, even with its lack of overall polish, I enjoyed Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol more than Mass Effect 2, but I still liked Mass Effect 2 a lot despite the disappointments.

Edited by Libertarian

Hehe, Troika went in history because it did a good game that didn't sell well (due to different reasons), so I see it not that bad to become another challenger of the world rules :)

Last time I checked reviews had very strange way of "reviewing" a game and giving out awards. Sometimes they make me wonder if they even look outside the window to the real world. So I stopped checking them out and buy games depending on trailer and screenshots... good old style that always worked before.

Fallout New Vegas is pretty much a guaranteed success, at least as far as score and initial sales go.

It will be interested seeing how the game will be remembered though.

I'm pretty sure reviewers were all 'yay' about KOTOR2 when it came out, yet now it's mainly remembered for its cut content.

Anyway, I have faith in Josh, going by the way he answers here on the forums, on Formsprings etc., he seems to have his heart in the right place.

Not that I don't like Avellone, but Planescape : Torment suffered much less from its mediocre gameplay because combat wasn't the focus, and KOTOR II had a lot of painful combat sequence that basically amounted to me spamming Force Lightning.

Won't comment on Alpha Protocol, but looking at the reviews, it seems that all Avellone's titles, with all their differences, are characterized by similar problems and strengths.

John Walker of Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a pretty balanced review up.

That was pretty much spot on to the majority of my feelings. As he said, no matter how fun/good the story is, its pretty evident that you are playing a game due to all the bugs and issues. Hopefully there is a patch soon that will get rid of them and allow me to focus less on bugs and just have fun