The Reviews

To be honest, seeing the reception Alpha Protocol is receiving compared to Fallout : New Vegas I'm wondering.. is it because New Vegas it's a sequel to Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 was awesome so Fallout New Vegas will be more awesome (for the mags, at least), is it because Bethesda is backing them up (they're drooling over Hunted too..) or is it simply because?

I mean, I expected a mixed reaction, but I didn't expect this much negativity.. makes me wonder if Obsidian really made the right choices.

Well, FO has over a decade worth of fans. I loved the first, second, and the third. So, a lot of the hype is in the name. AP, while an awesome concept, is still a new IP in a sequel saturated industry.

Sup.

You have an Endurance bar that regenerates - it just so happens that Armor contributes to this Endurance bar. Armor gives you a better ability to shrug off injuries as blunt trauma/minor annoyance and when your Endurance is out, then injuries hit your health (lasting damage). So yeah, your armor doesn't regenerate, it just contributes to your fast-recovery life bar.

Make sense?

That definitely does. I apologize: I suppose I shouldn' t have critiqued before playing AP myself. Guess I wrongly assumed the worse :o

Edited by kreese12

To be honest, seeing the reception Alpha Protocol is receiving compared to Fallout : New Vegas I'm wondering.. is it because New Vegas it's a sequel to Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 was awesome so Fallout New Vegas will be more awesome (for the mags, at least), is it because Bethesda is backing them up (they're drooling over Hunted too..) or is it simply because?

I mean, I expected a mixed reaction, but I didn't expect this much negativity.. makes me wonder if Obsidian really made the right choices.

I don't think there's that much negativity. I mean, we all knew it'd come to wether the reviewer sees past the bugs (which is something longtime fans of the genre have always somewhat overlooked). Bethesda or Bioware are just more influencial. I don't know if they payed off reviewers, but i can't believe for the life of me the same reviewers couldn't find as many bugs in Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2.

My Xbox copy should arrive tomorrow. According with the reviews here, it seems it is a good purchase according to what I expect: high replay and high character development.

I really don't mind the graphics, since the term "dated" is very subjective, there are plenty of games that were done 10 years ago and the graphics don't look "dated" (specially japanese made games) on the other hand, taking ME2 as example of graphics (which I like it, clear lines, bright) some people complained that looked as an arcade game.

As for the "professional" reviews, that one from bit-tech has been the crappiest and most superficial game review I've ever read in ages, if the reviewer would say " I hate this game because I love shooting and I don't like RPG's", it would sound more honest.

On the Gamespot side, as I agree that it is bad publicity for Obsidian, due to the large audience Gamespot has got, it is not reliable and objective, taking for example the 9.0 for Dragon Age Origins in PS3, they just claim minor bugs and glitches... which in reality, there ARE many bugs and lots of glitches with a quality of 3 in PS3. I think Gamespot's value is only promotional and for advertising, and perhaps Obsidian would have done more PR...

I don't think there's that much negativity. I mean, we all knew it'd come to wether the reviewer sees past the bugs (which is something longtime fans of the genre have always somewhat overlooked). Bethesda or Bioware are just more influencial. I don't know if they payed off reviewers, but i can't believe for the life of me the same reviewers couldn't find as many bugs in Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2.

What? There is a lot of negitivity and it is starting to turn people away from the game. Also, it is not just the bugs, the dated graphics and gameplay in general seems to be the focus of a lot of the complaints.

What? There is a lot of negitivity and it is starting to turn people away from the game. Also, it is not just the bugs, the dated graphics and gameplay in general seems to be the focus of a lot of the complaints.

But that was expected. Unfortunately, not everyone 'gets' Alpha Protocol. Just like not everybody gets Deus Ex or Half Life. There's just been a lot of people not getting it. So far, everyone that was expecting an Obsidian RPG outta AP has expressed being pleased.

Gamespot only have a few lines up so far

"Alpha Protocol's astounding intricacies are tarnished by bugs, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and rough production values. "

Dunno....i ignore things like rough production values. Kinda loved the ME1 combat (more than the 2nd...shock shock horror) so clumsy gameplay might even appeal to me.

astounding intricacies means the story will be greatly shaped by your choices....which is really what im looking for.

I'm feeling very skeptical about this game now, looking at these 5-6 point reviews, it just sort of disappoints me. I'm going to check back on these forums for these next couple of days to see what you guys think of it, because I'd imagine people like you have expectations similar to mine rather than the gamespot reviewers. It was well perceived by other reviewers, and this seems kind of like a love-hate sort of game.

I think this game would've scored higher on gaming sites if obsidian was a better-known developer, like for example me 1, and Dao.

ME 1 had good graphics, but horrible texture poppings, and some OK gameplay, but a good story.

It mainly scored high because it had a Bioware sticker slapped onto it.

Then we have DAO for the consoles, a terrible attempt at a 360 port in my honest opinion, for example, the hotkeys were unresponsive, and I would also come across an unresponsive analog stick, Example: I would move the character in one direction and he'd move in the exact opposite, or I would just move the joystick in one direction and the character would refuse to move until a couple minutes later. Not to mention that it had worse graphics than AP, and to me it seemed a lot more unpolished.

And do you know what the score on IGN was?

8.7, because it was made by "RPG king" Bioware.

I'm feeling very skeptical about this game now, looking at these 5-6 point reviews, it just sort of disappoints me. I'm going to check back on these forums for these next couple of days to see what you guys think of it, because I'd imagine people like you have expectations similar to mine rather than the gamespot reviewers. It was well perceived by other reviewers, and this seems kind of like a love-hate sort of game.

I think this game would've scored higher on gaming sites if obsidian was a better-known developer, like for example me 1, and Dao.

ME 1 had good graphics, but horrible texture poppings, and some OK gameplay, but a good story.

It mainly scored high because it had a Bioware sticker slapped onto it.

Then we have DAO for the consoles, a terrible attempt at a 360 port in my honest opinion, for example, the hotkeys were unresponsive, and I would also come across an unresponsive analog stick, Example: I would move the character in one direction and he'd move in the exact opposite, or I would just move the joystick in one direction and the character would refuse to move until a couple minutes later. Not to mention that it had worse graphics than AP, and to me it seemed a lot more unpolished.

And do you know what the score on IGN was?

8.7, because it was made by "RPG king" Bioware.

I dont think its that....if alpha protocol came out first then i bet it scores around 8.5s, But everyone is think its a mass effect clone...people expecting lightly sprinkled rpg elements are being chosen to review the game....not the hard core RPG guys

Well, there are only 2 bad reviews from major outlets at the moment - and that's Gamespot and bit-tech. Now, everyone has their opinions about which review site is 'crap', but the point to be made about bit-tech is that it's not really a games review site. It's a tech site. They aren't really known for having insightful, accurate, contextual reviews; they seem to have a large readership and are fairly well known as a tech site, but I don't know anybody that'd trust their word on anything games, they're simply too 'general'.

Gamespot? Make up your own mind, really. My personal opinion is that these days reviewers seem to have a standard - i.e. bland dialogue might be a minor flaw, but texture popping is a significant flow, whereas I'd reverse those standards. We'll see how they justify their 6.0... in fact, since they don't even have a review up yet, is that even a real score or just a placeholder?

Anyway, I'm going out to get my copy now, so will post impressions and answer Qs. Should be more informative...

Gamespot gave NWN2 a 8.6 even though it was a buggy mess on release.

"Neverwinter Nights 2 isn't without some technical issues, but the engaging, dynamic story and proven D & D framework make it an RPG that shouldn't be missed. "

Regardless of D&D, I can't see why the above wouldn't apply to AP... is it because the game is multi-platform?

EDIT: of course, maybe they take into account the fact that the game was delayed for a considerable time... not to mention perhaps they are less willing to give the benefit of the doubt, after two previous buggy titles.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Seeing the vast number of European sites rating it in the mid to high 80s, I really don't put much store by Gamespot's score, especially because the rationale on the sight right now basically says "It's a great game but we don't like the graphics and animations."

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

God, hopefully this will not turn into another 'Storm of Zehir' type scenario. Its reviews were all over the place, with some major publications dropping the ball hard (gamespot in particular had a piece which can hardly be called a review).

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

But that was expected. Unfortunately, not everyone 'gets' Alpha Protocol. Just like not everybody gets Deus Ex or Half Life. There's just been a lot of people not getting it. So far, everyone that was expecting an Obsidian RPG outta AP has expressed being pleased.

I think a lot more people "get" AP then you think. You can't blame every negative review/impression on the person not "getting" it. There are many impressions on other forums where the player is disappointed. At best, it seems this is most likely a flawed gem type of game.

:o - at the Deus Ex/Half-life comment

I think a lot more people "get" AP then you think. You can't blame every negative review/impression on the person not "getting" it. There are many impressions on other forums where the player is disappointed. At best, it seems this is most likely a flawed gem type of game.

I mean that they were looking for the wrong thing in Alpha Protocol. Maybe it's the over the shoulder camera or the modern setting, but with so many people playing it like a shooter, i can see how people can find it dissapointing. But people that knows what Obsidian's all about want something entirely different, which isn't mentioned in a lot of reviews.

I mean, i don't think anyone here expects Uncharted-like action in AP. We want the great writing and characters and so far the reviews have concentrated their criticism in aspects that are somewhat minor to AP.

The 1.0 user review doesn't even mention dialogue. The 5.0 user review is barely readeable and the 7.0 is just a few hours in. Those aren't either conclusive nor trustworthy reviews. And Gamestop is a number and a debatable quote. At the same time, there's about 5 foreign professional (though arguably :() reviews giving it mid-high 80s.

I don't see that much negativity. Kotaku, IGN, the real Gamespot review, 1Up, etc. don't have their reviews up yet and 3 user reviews is hardly quorum.

By the way, Gametrailers contest:

Fill your summer with music with Official Alpha Protocol branded iPod Touch from SEGA. We will choose TWO lucky winners from all the correct entries to BOTH the trivia questions below. You MUST message TriviaKing. Have "Sabotage" in the subject line. Enter by Tuesday 6/1 11:59PM PST to qualify. Open to all citizens of this planet in good GT standing.

Q: In Alpha Protocol, there are many ways to dispatch enemies, but only for core weapons (fists not included), what are they?

Q: In our first reveal trailer entitled Rendezvous, what is the name of the character who is narrating the video?

Edited by zkylon

I mean that they were looking for the wrong thing in Alpha Protocol. Maybe it's the over the shoulder camera or the modern setting, but with so many people playing it like a shooter, i can see how people can find it dissapointing. But people that knows what Obsidian's all about want something entirely different, which isn't mentioned in a lot of reviews.

I mean, i don't think anyone here expects Uncharted-like action in AP. We want the great writing and characters and so far the reviews have concentrated their criticism in aspects that are somewhat minor to AP.

The 1.0 user review doesn't even mention dialogue. The 5.0 user review is barely readeable and the 7.0 is just a few hours in. Those aren't either conclusive nor trustworthy reviews. And Gamestop is a number and a debatable quote. At the same time, there's about 3 foreign professional (though arguably) reviews giving it mid-high 80s.

I don't see that much negativity. Kotaku, IGN, the real Gamespot review, 1Up, etc. don't have their reviews up yet and 3 user reviews is hardly quorum.

I see what you're saying and agree to a point. Personally, I don't care about the review scores other than it hurts Obs. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the other sites have to say.

The german review translated:

Our test for Alpha Protocol has shown that the RPG from Sega and Obsidian Entertainment a wild roller coaster ride in the style of 24 or The Bourne Identity. The game you skin your decisions, especially later in the game, relentlessly around the ears. The Gameply is incredibly diverse and is changing so rapidly that a second or third play through complete risk assessment. The dialogue and characters are also imaginative and entertaining. Technically, you have to do with Alpha Protocol, however, compromises. The graphics are sharp and partly out of date, the save point system is a nuisance and the artificial intelligence has not earned its name many times. Which are in themselves permanently annoying mini-games on the PC also the main frustration point where they are clearly designed to operate with the gamepad. Nevertheless, Alpha Protocol is a thoroughly enjoyable RPG with amazing choice and varied gameplay.

Positive:

Story, characters and atmosphere: If Jack Bauer and James Bond is to be with Michael Thorton directly warm. The story presents itself as a genuine agent thrillers and waiting always surprises with. You never know who you can trust and just rush through half the world to plot on the ropes to get a large. The characters you meet are in sometimes bizarre but always credible and enrich the gameplay noticeably. With well-written dialogues and cutscenes in the game graphics Alpha Protocol also holds the suspense high and constant entertainment tastes with thus very well. Since it does not interfere, that the total of 130 hours as an English voice only available with German subtitles dialog.

Decisions and freedom: Alpha Protocol will be in almost all missions to choose how you want to proceed. You can sneak or shoot yap, technical finesse, or act with brutal thugs give. Sun mission, each unique and varied. Same time, each agency bermekbar at what impact your decisions crass again ever have. The nice lady or save a museum full of tourists? The arms dealer shot or pardon? The guards by moving or persuade? Always keep your Alpha Protocol decisions as a mirror in front of your 'mission changed the course of the game and depending on what choice you have made. This motivates and contributes significantly to the fascination of the title. So it pays to just under 30 hours after the passage of the first game again to start over.

Character Development: Even as a true RPG Alpha Protocol is reflected well. For each successful action, you get experience points, which lead to level up. More points in a particular skill will affect appreciably. If you are inexperienced in dealing with assault rifles, you will meet very little. Invest enough points but, Thorton shoots noticeably better. The same applies to melee - or technical skills. So you always have the feeling that your agent to continuously develop. At the same time gives you Alpha Protocol always small successes in the form of so-called benefits. Example 75 who overwhelmed the enemy unseen, moves in a row, 20 percent quieter. Since messages such benefits by the minute at the bottom of the screen show up on, to motivate them particularly well to cope with a mission.

Items and Outside Employment : Alpha Protocol gives your hero a lot of armor, weapons and gadgets. These can be found either in the missions or buy between use of a dealer. For armor and weapons you also buy upgrades in several stages. The pros and cons of a purchase are neatly into a menu with the newly created piece of equipment weighed fine. Especially the variety of items from Alpha Protocol makes a much deeper role than, say, Mass Effect 2, even though both rely heavily on action title. In addition, make clear the nature of the game Aur

Edited by juncaj8

Well, I'm not surprised Alpha Protocol got a **** review on Gamespot. Let's see if it gets a lower score on IGN. I don't think there's any site that is so consitent in rating good games low and bad games high. Honestly, it might even be worth it to look through their lowest rated RPGs in order to find some good games.

But seriously, even though I can't possibly regret buying the game on release date, I'd be disappointed if the game was as buggy as NWN 2 on release. Why all the bugs? Isn't it possible to learn from previous failings? Enough is enough. I've had it with all these mother****ing bugs in all the mother****ing games.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Page 2:

Negative:

Artificial Intelligence: Especially in a role playing game, the slow and heavily relies on shootings, one should hope for a good artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, Alpha Protocol not score points here. Time and again you run enemies directly in front of the gun or hang a corner of the game world securely. Go to the right place to take cover, you can even rows of opponents as they do a point to stop and certain to leave to shoot without hesitation.

Mini Games : Castles In order to crack to hack or bypass terminals to three mini-games you need a master of the later course of the game will be in serious. Soon these small nerves deposits. This is mainly due to the lack of implementation of console to PC. Use the example on the console or the trigger to each cylinder of a lock to balance, move your mouse on the PC up and down. Because these mini-games often need to come on at some points of frustration when, for the thousandth time by an unsuccessful attempt by the alarm goes off. Fortunately, you can plug in a gamepad option but to play with it too.

Obsolete Technology: Graphic Alpha Protocol is not on the amount of time. Textures, especially on floors or on walls, and see detailarm washed out. Characters and objects are also the present day for extremely angular. In cutscenes, however the faces of the characters come across well. The blurring effect of the obsidian used to feature flashbacks to look strange. The animations of the main character, especially in stealth effect, silly.

jumping, climbing, camouflage, store: A few small points to annoy Alpha Protocol. You may at certain points only climb or jump, which in times of Splinter Cell: Conviction and Assassin's Creed has plenty of antiquated second Who wants more action in Covert, who is annoyed that there is no display screen, which tells you whether you are just disguised. For PC disciples is also annoying that you can not save free but on by the program set relatively fair, save points are dependent.

Short for Alpha Protocol:

- Alpha Protocol relies on the DRM protection Uniloc. You must enable deas game once online and then you can play offline. This goes on up to five different computers. The individual activations can be undone.

- Alpha Protocol is a purely single-player role-playing, there's no multiplayer mode.

- Hardware requirements:

Minimum : P4 3.4 GHz / Athlon 64 3200 +, Geforce

7900 GT / Radeon X1950 Pro, a GB RAM

(Win XP) / 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista or 7)

Recommended : CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400/Phenom II

X3 720 BE, Geforce GTX 260/Radeon HD 4870

(1 GB), 2 GB RAM (Win XP) / 4 GB RAM (Windows

Vista or 7)

A detailed, six-sided test for Alpha Protocol, see the current PC Games 06/2010 . Alpha Protocol will appear tomorrow and costs in the PC version for about 45

I wonder how different the criticisms would be for this game had it come out before ME2? Since thats the game most are comparing it to when I think technical and mechanics wise it should be compared to ME1. However I do think Sega/Obsidian made a mistake in having review embargoes til release day, as that in general makes gamers suspicious. The second mistake was probably holding the NA release last when everyone else has broken the street date as there are a lot of people who are listening to the voices out there when it comes down to a purchase of this game and most of those voices are negative.

The sad part about this is that many of the people on forums like GameFaqs that are trashing the game haven't even played it. One guy on there admittedly has only based his opinions on streams where people were poorly investing their AP points and having a hard time with it. However, to the average user the game just looks crappy and broken.

Still looking forward to playing the game..but now I'm wondering if I should wait for the first patch (that hopefully comes). Stuff like lack of decent pc controls for the mini-games would be fairly easy to fix I would imagine. AI not so much, but maybe the small stuff...

I think this game would've scored higher on gaming sites if obsidian was a better-known developer,

they are a better know developers but some "hardcore gamers" can't accept that because are stuck in KoTOR 1 . I love Bioware games but that doesn't make me blind to appreciate a good RPG made for other dev.

Edited by Alpha

So far it looks like AP tried to do too much and ended up filled with bugs.

I haven't played it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, Obs probably could have had a better game if they weren't trying to make rambo tactics as effective as stealth, for example.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"