The Reviews

I think the reason why people were telling you to be careful about IGN reviews is that IGN, gamespot etc. are notorious for being very forgiving of the flaws of "hype machine" titles, while being unreasonably harsh at the flaws of lesser known ones.

Alpha Protocol doesn't fall into the modern warfare 2, fallout 3, dragon age hype machine so its far more susceptible to getting a review that would emphasize the flaws.

Aside from the accusations of being paid off which might be true, those big name review websites have a ve$ted intere$t in giving good scores to big sellers like modern warfare 2 even though the game had some serious flaws for the PC.

How was Dragon Age or F3 flawed hype machine?

I think the reason why people were telling you to be careful about IGN reviews is that IGN, gamespot etc. are notorious for being very forgiving of the flaws of "hype machine" titles, while being unreasonably harsh at the flaws of lesser known ones.

Alpha Protocol doesn't fall into the modern warfare 2, fallout 3, dragon age hype machine so its far more susceptible to getting a review that would emphasize the flaws.

Aside from the accusations of being paid off which might be true, those big name review websites have a ve$ted intere$t in giving good scores to big sellers like modern warfare 2 even though the game had some serious flaws for the PC.

How was Dragon Age or F3 flawed hype machine?

I assume he means that reviews tended to emphasize the good and sweep the flaws under the rug.

Granted, I actually think that both games are good and they would have had good reviews regardless of the hype of the publisher. Funny thing is, I prefer Dragon Age, but I think it's the game that has less mainstream appeal and that probably suffered a bit more in the reviews compared to Fallout 3.

As for Alpha Protocol, there's nearly not all that hype, in part because the graphics are dated, in part because SEGA & Obsidian don't have the same prestige as EA & Bioware and Bethesda, and in part also probably because of the reduced mainstream appeal.

I, however, am against the 'ooooh, reviewers are corrupted, so let's not take into account when a reviewer brings up a flaw'.

If a reviewer points out something he considers a flaw, it's fair, as long as the review is informative and gives people who read a good idea of what game they're going to play (or not).

I also think more feedback is always good for the devs, even when they screw up a game badly (which from what I've seen isn't the case, though the bit-tech reviewer seems to think otherwise).

@worst: It's not that reviewers are corrupt, but rather that they are incompetent.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The first 3 reviews gave it 87-88. :p

I was talking of the IGN user reviews you silly. :sorcerer:

@The moderator with the amusing cat avatar - I very much know, but I still think that some points deserve to be analyzed, even if they derive from horrible misinterpretations of the designers' intent. For example it's quite clear that Alpha Protocol didn't manage to get its design philosophy across with some even after putting the subtitle, and it's quite clear that otherwise, some people will feel that it's too light as an rpg.

That review is indeed pretty bad and sounds a lot like '13 years-old douche' but the fact that the first 3 reviews get the game an average of 5.0, doesn't help the game nor Obsidian.

True, but there's still quite a few people waiting to play the game... So who knows how it'll turn out? June 1st can't get here soon enough.

That review is indeed pretty bad and sounds a lot like '13 years-old douche' but the fact that the first 3 reviews get the game an average of 5.0, doesn't help the game nor Obsidian.

True, but there's still quite a few people waiting to play the game... So who knows how it'll turn out? June 1st can't get here soon enough.

Yeah, as I've already said, it's probably me being overtly negative, especially since some games with rather mixed reviews on Metacritic still manage to achieve a respectable success. It also appears like I generally enjoy less polished/well-received games compare to the mainstream (not because of their lack of polish, but because imho they're better in other departments :sorcerer:).

Yeah, as I've already said, it's probably me being overtly negative, especially since some games with rather mixed reviews on Metacritic still manage to achieve a respectable success. It also appears like I generally enjoy less polished/well-received games compare to the mainstream (not because of their lack of polish, but because imho they're better in other departments :sorcerer:).

As long as Alpha Protocol gets an 85 or higher on average (read: metacritic), it should do fine in sales. At least, according to Activision:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/21...ore-metacritic/

As for liking less-polished/well-received games, I'm right there with you. :p

Edited by Toe Tagger Joe

I can't vouch for GamesMaster's integrity but another 80+ is always welcome!

Meaning that you don't like the mag, or that you haven't read it?

Oh, I haven't read enough to judge. But if they gave AP an 80+ they must be good!

I'm waiting for the Eurogamer review as well. A bit apprehensive at the outcome of that though :sorcerer:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's a pretty entertaining review off of gamespot. It was sent to me via xbox live by someone who knows I pre-ordered Alpha Protocol.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...%3Bcontinue%3B1

EDIT: It also manages to be even less informative than the one mentioned above this post. :sorcerer:

Those reviews are from "reviewer wannabe" that i am sure enjoyed the game and later bash it. The game maybe isn't a perfect 10 but neither deserve a mediocre score , much less 1.

Edited by Alpha

Here's a pretty entertaining review off of gamespot. It was sent to me via xbox live by someone who knows I pre-ordered Alpha Protocol.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...%3Bcontinue%3B1

EDIT: It also manages to be even less informative than the one mentioned above this post. :p

Those reviews are from "reviewer wannabe" that i am sure enjoyed the game and later bash it. The game maybe isn't a perfect 10 but neither deserve a mediocre score , much less 1.

I couldn't agree more about the reviewer. I don't think he even the genre of the game judging by this sentence (even though it says "RPG" on the box):

The shooting is also problematic as it presents itself as a shooter, but its more like an rpg where you slowly take down a health bar.

As for the quality of the game itself, I imagine it's better than he says it is. I'll have to wait until June 1st to see though. :sorcerer:

The shooting is also problematic as it presents itself as a shooter, but its more like an rpg where you slowly take down a health bar.

As opposed to shooters, where you also take down a health bar. It's just not visible as a HUD element. Oh, these RPG thingies! :sorcerer:

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

The only review I'm looking forward to is the Zero Punctuation review...if there even is one.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The only review I'm looking forward to is the Zero Punctuation review...if there even is one.

Yatzee is usually fun but rarely insightful.

When is the last time any video game review was insightful?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies