The Reviews

The opinions seem to be all over the place right now, a real love hate thing....my guess is the gears crowd will hate it...the rpg and story crowd will love it.

Exactly my thoughts!

I think the game could suffer a bit with harsh reviews and thus have a bad general score...

But yeah it's a hate/love thing...i know i already posted this in another thread but these are my impressions

Ok i'll post my impressions on the game (on PS3) (i got it yesterday and only played 2hours or so)

The things i liked

- The dialogue system & the choices (reminds me of Deus Ex, which is my N

Don't worry, Gamespot & IGN are sure to fap all over it.

I can't wait for the Eurogamer review.

Starting to get really worried.

To be honest, seeing as Joe recently gave the new Splinter Cell a 9, I don't think he's quite all there. o:):)

Edited by Metal_Guitar

ROOT II III IV V VI VII OCTAVE

When we finally start living it has become too late

Trapped inside this Octavarium

Starting to get really worried. :ermm:

European reviewers sometimes like to trash overseas titles from big name companies, while North American reviewers generally trash European titles. It's tradition.

That said, I didn't like what I read about pistols & stealth, since I was planning to specialize in those skills. I'll see for myself tomorrow when I acquire the game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It sounds like he didn't put any skill points into the skills he complains about being weak.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It sounds like he didn't put any skill points into the skills he complains about being weak.

BUT there is a complaint in the review about the skill system being too simple so who knows.

I'd prefer hearing the comments about someone who has the game and their experience compared to the reviewer before simply blindly dismissing it as 'trashing the game'.

In the magazine PlayMania

(issue 127).

The review score is 88/100.

Graphics -> 80 - The exteriors are not so bad but the models and their animations are far from perfect.

Sound -> 90 - Appropriate soundtrack.

Diversity -> 89 - Even though it's the same game, there are many possibilities when it comes to customizing your character and deciding how to play.

Duration -> 90 - The replayability factor is really high. You can play Alpha Protocol a lot of times without experiencing the same adventure.

Overall -> 88 - A spy role playing game that succeeds in blending action with stealth and gives players a high degree of freedom in choosing how they want to proceed.

Lot's of comments on other sites from people comparing AP to ME2.

My question to them, is that a fair comparison?

You see, to my own twisted form of logic, a comparison to the first ME would be far more suitable. ME1 was a good game, but the TPS mechanics were floored and unexciting and the secondary missions were the most boring addition to a game ever. ME2 was better, but Bioware had the chance to learn from their mistakes.

I don't get the game untill tomorrow, but from what I've seen and heard of it, AP looks superior in just about every way to ME1.

Lot's of comments on other sites from people comparing AP to ME2.

My question to them, is that a fair comparison?

You see, to my own twisted form of logic, a comparison to the first ME would be far more suitable. ME1 was a good game, but the TPS mechanics were floored and unexciting and the secondary missions were the most boring addition to a game ever. ME2 was better, but Bioware had the chance to learn from their mistakes.

I don't get the game untill tomorrow, but from what I've seen and heard of it, AP looks superior in just about every way to ME1.

Point is, Obsidian had the luxury of looking to what Mass Effect did right and what it did wrong too, not too mention that's it's far from certain that there will be a sequel.

Point is, Obsidian had the luxury of looking to what Mass Effect did right and what it did wrong too, not too mention that's it's far from certain that there will be a sequel.

I think there is a great difference between looking at what people have done, and having the experience of doing it yourself. I could say that Bioware had the luxury of looking at what Gears of War did right, and adding their own RPG twist to it.

I've seen loads of bands live, but I was still a nervous wreck when it came to my first gig. Their is no substitute for experience.

@Oner, I haven't seen that. It's just something that struck me as unfair.

ME 1 had GoW to look at. :ermm:

And it's not like they never designed any side quests.

I swear you typed that whilst I was replying. On my life.

I think there is a great difference between looking at what people have done, and having the experience of doing it yourself. I could say that Bioware had the luxury of looking at what Gears of War did right, and adding their own RPG twist to it.

I've seen loads of bands live, but I was still a nervous wreck when it came to my first gig. Their is no substitute for experience.

While I don't think your comparison is totally fair I understand what you're trying to say.

While I don't think your comparison is totally fair I understand what you're trying to say.

Understanding is all that I should wish for. :ermm:

All I meant was that I completely agree. :)

ME 1 had GoW to look at. :ermm:

And it's not like they never designed any side quests.

I swear you typed that whilst I was replying. On my life.

:lol:

I think the reason why people were telling you to be careful about IGN reviews is that IGN, gamespot etc. are notorious for being very forgiving of the flaws of "hype machine" titles, while being unreasonably harsh at the flaws of lesser known ones.

Alpha Protocol doesn't fall into the modern warfare 2, fallout 3, dragon age hype machine so its far more susceptible to getting a review that would emphasize the flaws.

Aside from the accusations of being paid off which might be true, those big name review websites have a ve$ted intere$t in giving good scores to big sellers like modern warfare 2 even though the game had some serious flaws for the PC.

Bit-Tech review.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-360/20...otocol-review/1

5/10

Joe Martin does not have a lot of nice things to say.

It seems that he played the first mission using weapons in which he had no skill, and based the game on that experience.

That's one of the least informative reviews I've ever read.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Here's a pretty entertaining review off of gamespot. It was sent to me via xbox live by someone who knows I pre-ordered Alpha Protocol.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...%3Bcontinue%3B1

EDIT: It also manages to be even less informative than the one mentioned above this post. >_<

Edited by Toe Tagger Joe

Here's a pretty entertaining review off of gamespot. It was sent to me via xbox live by someone who knows I pre-ordered Alpha Protocol.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...%3Bcontinue%3B1

EDIT: It also manages to be even less informative than the one mentioned above this post. >_<

I am not sure where but i think ive read that review before...somewhere else.