The Reviews

Meh, the only thing in which Alpha Protocol should be superior to a 2008 game are technical aspects.

I mean, most of RPG, especially hybrids, are still inferior to games like Arcanum, Fallout and Deus Ex, by your reasoning, they don't deserve so much praise...

Even though that generalization is usually right for new games, we haven't played AP as to know if it's up to the big ones. I don't see AP becoming an all time classic but i'm hoping to be surprised, as always. But Torment and Fallout are very hard to top or even measure.

I'm just saying that the same complaints about AP could be transferred to FO3, and that 10-15 points of difference are what expensive marketing's for (just like with Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc...). And to clarify: i said Fallout 3 "fails at everything AP is awesome (choices, good writing, well thought characters)".

I just compare it to FO3 because it's a credibility check.

Well, even if it is true, AP should be better than a two year old game not have its faults comparable to it. I'd stack it up against ME2, a 2010 rpg, but I guess will have enough of those comparsions soon.

Meh, the only thing in which Alpha Protocol should be superior to a 2008 game are technical aspects.

I mean, most of RPG, especially hybrids, are still inferior to games like Arcanum, Fallout and Deus Ex, by your reasoning, they don't deserve so much praise...

Uh, ok. :p I was referring to technical aspects. The rest is just opinion.

Even though that generalization is usually right for new games, we haven't played AP as to know if it's up to the big ones. I don't see AP becoming an all time classic but i'm hoping to be surprised, as always. But Torment and Fallout are very hard to top or even measure.

I'm not sure if it'll attain the "classic" status as well, but it does have Obsidian's pedigree and it seems a lot of effort has been put into the writing, reactivity, and the sheer amount of dialog, all the makings of one. "Classic" is also subjective, but I'm trying to keep my expectations somewhat moderate. Although, MoTB saw a return to the great story-telling of the past (and even that wasn't in the same league as other classics, but to be fair it was an expansion). I think I might start a thread awhile after AP comes out entitled "Do you think AP is a classic?" :p

I can confirm : someone on another french board have already been able to get it >_< Perhaps another proof, torrents have already begun to appear, and guess in which language does the uploader describe the game? Yes, french.

And what annoys me is that it has happened only in Paris so far! Gah! No love for the province? Come on :lol: I'm in the south! Guess I will try again tomorrow...

As for what the guy says :

- he is quite harsh with the note, only 14/20. It seems graphics and AI are really important for him, as well as physics.

- but he really praises the choices and construction of the levels, and enjoys his ride. So it seems that we shouldn't care about the note.

He gives an interesting example of repercussions to your actions, too. Apparently, during the tutorial, you have an infiltration test. If you're really good at it, another character will propose you a mission to steal some documents later in the game, a proposal he won't make if you completely mess it up!

Edited by Sannom

He gives an interesting example of repercussions to your actions, too. Apparently, during the tutorial, you have an infiltration test. If you're really good at it, another character will propose you a mission to steal some documents later in the game, a proposal he won't make if you completely mess it up!
Cool.

My French is pretty crap, but here's a comprehensive look through. The man with the game (or so he claims) says:

• Xbox360 version
  • He did start playing games with NES & loves Planescape, Fallouts, etc, so he's not coming at this looking for a GTA.
  • You can buy info before a mission. You can choose your missions. The msisions themselves are very open, he says 'sandbox'.
  • But it is NOT open world. You do your mission, you come back to safehouse, you choose your mission.
  • Generally very solid game, "could have been a true great with a bit more extra".

• Graphics are pretty poor, or rather, 'just decent'
  • But there's a lot of detail put into the game
  • Gameplay is solid...But way too easy to go in and shoot everyone
  • Played on normal, a little easy.
  • AI is 'very uneven' - "very bad in infiltration phases, very good in combat phases". In the former, you hide for 5 seconds and you are 'invisible'.
  • Lots of choice, e.g. 4 ways to enter... something
  • Dialogue is good, plot branching later on is impressive

• Environment interaction, e.g. cameras, alarms, blow up windows. Very good. But no physics.
  • Really like gadgets you get, like false radio alarm - very fun.
  • Minigames good.
  • You can guide the path of your grenades very precisely.

Another player got the game, too, not as positive, but he's only played it for 3 hours, so this is really a 'first impressions':

• His stuff is harder for me to understand, but does say AI is bad.
  • He's not happy that you start with a shaven generic Mike face for the first few minutes until you can choose... because.. of the emotional attachment factor? WTF.
  • He complains that the dialogue system is way too fast - in his words, characters say 60 words a second and you have to choose before they finish, "wtf?". Thinks Mass effect dialogue was much better, and charactes look ugly.
  • However, he likes the ability to choose missions very freely, the skills and techniques, minigames, the character development

My French is pretty crap, but here's a comprehensive look through. The man with the game (or so he claims) says:

• Gameplay is solid...But way too easy to go in and shoot everyone
  • Lots of choice, e.g. 4 ways to enter... something

Just going to clarify those :

• That guy doesn't shoot. What he finds easy is the fact that he has managed to take down all his enemies with stealth take-downs without never being spotted.
  • A tower. He talks about the usual : go through underground tunnels, main entrance, or the roofs... either from roof to roof or by taking a zip-line.

I have the impression that this guy got into Alpha Protocol thinking "it's a stealth game", I don't think he even realize the Rambo play-style is viable.

Another player got the game, too, not as positive, but he's only played it for 3 hours, so this is really a 'first impressions':

• He's not happy that you start with a shaven generic Mike face for the first few minutes until you can choose... because.. of the emotional attachment factor? WTF.
  • He complains that the dialogue system is way too fast - in his words, characters say 60 words a second and you have to choose before they finish, "wtf?". Thinks Mass effect dialogue was much better, and charactes look ugly.

• That sentence is impossible to get, even for me. And I'm french >_<
  • For the dialog system, part of his complaints stem from the fact that it's in english and not in french.

Edited by Sannom

[*]For the dialog system, part of his complaints stem from the fact that it's in english and not in french.

I suppose having to read the text while people babble in an unfamiliar language and have to respond quickly wouldn't work too well for some :/

Edited by Baeus

That's probably a good comparison about 'open-ness', yes. Blood Money was the one I played and it did have quite a bit of roaming - AP should have more, in fact.

So you have played AP?

Obviously not but that doesn't mean FO3 fails at that any less.

Never said it didn't fail. This caught my attention:

at everything AP is awesome (choices, good writing, well thought characters)".

Since you have yet to play AP, you can't honestly say this.

Good to see that 'til now I haven't heard anyone complaining about technical issues... does this mean that Alpha Protocol is the first... polished... Obsidian game?

I certainly hope so.

So do I. But to be fair, I can't remember SoZ having many complaints.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

So do I. But to be fair, I can't remember SoZ having many complaints.

SoZ had a couple of bugs relating the economy system, but yeah, never had much trouble with it. To be fair, I didn't have much trouble with MotB and OC too (yeah, even the OC), so I'm probably just lucky. :)

Since you have yet to play AP, you can't honestly say this.

You're beyond the point. I'm clearly critisizing FO3, not praising AP. Don't be boring because i just didn't add an "alledgedly" to a statement probably everyone in this forum assumes to be true.

Ex-Obsidian designer Patrick Mills's tweets (he was level designer on AP)

" you cannot snipe with the pistol #tyndis ~ Come watch and chat with me! http://justin.tv/s/04/2kZKKMM~/tyndis "

" Watching 'tyndis' on @justintv http://justin.tv/s/01/2kZKKMM/tyndis "

" You can only snipe with the rifle early on #tyndis ~ Come watch and chat with me! http://justin.tv/s/04/2kZKKMM~/tyndis "

Edited by funcroc

NeoGAF's Alpha Protocol official thread

Thought I would post a few more extended impressions from my experiences with this game so far...

First of all, it has to be said that a lot of people will be immediately turned off by some aspects of this game. As has already been discussed, the graphics are dated and the animations are anything but stellar. The controls take a little getting used to, especially (for me) using the directional pad to choose gadgets/weapons/abilities. The frame rate seems ok in general although during conversations there is a fair amount of tearing/weird frame rate stuff going on.

This game definitely has its flaws.

Having said that, I am seriously enjoying this game so far (I have completed about 4 missions, and reached level 4.)

I have had some trouble when taking the stealth approach, although to be honest when I started using my abilities more wisely I had a lot more success. All missions have resulted in firefights for my character, however since putting points into my various skills these shootouts have become more enjoyable. The game doesn't punish you for doing things "your way" ie just shooting everyone, and I can see the potential to approach future missions more strategically by using my stealth skills better.

I was about halfway through my most recent mission when the game just "clicked" for me. I leveled up and put some more points into my martial arts and pistol skills, and immediately started to feel that sense of RPG character building satisfaction. My Michael Thorton can do some serious damage wielding a pistol or an assault rifle, and can kung fu the **** out of anyone should they get close enough.

I am at work now, and can't stop thinking about getting home and doing the next mission.

Its far from perfect, and I can see why many people may not enjoy it, but I really think this game is a flawed gem that a lot of people will enjoy should they put the time into it.

Having said all this, I am only really just at the start of the game, and therefore can't really judge on its overall quality. But so far, so good. In my opinion anyway, I'm sure plenty will disagree with me.

I'm seriously starting to worry about the reviews here in France :ermm: A guy who played it said that it really doesn't feel polished enough for someone who don't understand english and just read the subtitles : they pass too fast, you try to "link" them to the audio, you're distracted and "bam!", you "fail" at the DSS choice :thumbsup:

I'm seriously starting to worry about the reviews here in France :ermm: A guy who played it said that it really doesn't feel polished enough for someone who don't understand english and just read the subtitles : they pass too fast, you try to "link" them to the audio, you're distracted and "bam!", you "fail" at the DSS choice :o

Well for one who doesn't understand english, it may very well feel a bit unnerving, especially if he just wants to make his choice after having heard everything (which I don't think is the point of the DSS by the way), though to call this 'not polished enough'.. uhm.. :thumbsup:

I hate to say this, but this game DOES punish you for power-gaming. Now, you can STILL do it. But if you do, you get served. As "bad" as the AI is, it's still better than you, at least in the beginning. Just looking at how bad that guy with the feed did annoyed me. He was clearly impatient.

The thing is, anyone that has ever played Splnter Cell or Metal Gear series KNOW you must be incredibly patient with Stealth.

Hell, the playtime for just waiting the right moment needed for Stealth approaches means you have to wait, which means you have to patient, which adds a lot of time.

Don't take my word for it. Ask Splinter Cell and Metal Gear fans. It sounds like, to me, the wrong people are playing the wrong game.

Edited by jokerwoker