The Reviews

Good stuff in that review, some of it sounds extremely interesting/cool. Thanks Oner.

Only 8 days left here in the EU... God I hope my pre-order copy arrives early, or at least that they don't screw up the order so I won't get it for the weekend. And I hope the servers for authorization are up when I get it.

well on steam it says the game is available 27/05/10??? so hope so that's where i am buying from.

an 8.9 from meristation means the game will probably end up in the lower 80's on metacritic.

based on my magic ability to extrapolate impossible conclusions from minimal evidence

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

snip

Sniper rifles and a good cover system. Hot damn.

we have to be content with a world champ story, lovable-hateable characters, fun gameplay and innumerable choices.

content?? how about delighted? thrilled?

Thanks for the info Oner, great stuff :thumbsup:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I can't help but laugh at all the magazines and websites still scoring the sound/graphics/gameplay/whatnot seperately and basing the final score on that.

If only we had movie reviews that scored the movies based on action/acting/romance/humor and so on...

Appearances deceive, some characters respond well to a different stance than their looks suggest, so dossiers are important
This sounds awesome, I hope it's not too obvious, though. The "info is your weapon" bit, too. Thanks.

Another spanish review.

It's an 8,9 with 8,5 in sound and graphics, 9,1 in gameplay, 9,4 in longevity and 8,0 in performance/optimization.

Can someone tell us if the reviewer at least seems to know what he's playing? You know, unlike that first spanish review?

Nope, sorry. He also seems to believe that AP is first and foremost an action game. He even regrets the lack of a MP/DM option. :thumbsup:

I'm starting to wonder if the marketing campaign is to blame for the misconception, in fact.

The review itself is a bit more even-handed than the last one, and acknowledges the importance of choice in the game, but it's pretty meager as far as actual details are concerned.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Did they omit the "The Espionage RPG" subtitle in the Spanish version, or something?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Well, they do mention "action RPG" under genre, so i dunno. The guy goes and complains about lack of multiplayer and, again, doesn't mention the writing. I find it really weird that these magazines didn't have at least one editor that was crazy about AP. Everyone who knows his stuff about gaming knows some of the greatest minds in the industry worked on it, how is it that no one asked to review it? Back in my reviewing days, i begged for writing AP's review on day one. I'm just puzzled that these magazines didn't have a single BIS fan. And i'm kind of ashamed of my native language reviewers :thumbsup:

Actually a lot of people complain about lack of multiplayer in Fallout too and I think I read some complaining about the lack of multiplayer in frickin' Mass Effect.

So don't underestimate the general public, today no online mode means immediately less points from a lot of people.

Actually a lot of people complain about lack of multiplayer in Fallout too and I think I read some complaining about the lack of multiplayer in frickin' Mass Effect.

So don't underestimate the general public, today no online mode means immediately less points from a lot of people.

No MP option really took away from the success of both those games too :shifty:

EDIT: to add: So any reviewer who laments this is pandering to the complainers. Fair enough if it sells mags, but that's all it's worth.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

No MP option really took away from the success of both those games too :-

Never implied it did.

Because, the surprising thing is, most complainers actually both the games.

Looks also like Alpha Protocol will end up in the mid-to-high eighties on Alpha Protocol going by these early reviews. Not bad imho.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

No MP option really took away from the success of both those games too :-

Never implied it did.

Because, the surprising thing is, most complainers actually both the games.

Looks also like Alpha Protocol will end up in the mid-to-high eighties on Alpha Protocol going by these early reviews. Not bad imho.

Yep, sorry, was in edit mode while you were replying.

Yep, sorry, was in edit mode while you were replying.

No problem, I just like to clarify things :- .

EDIT : It's also interesting to note that Obsidian wanted to add a multiplayer mode but had to cut the feature early on according to an Avellone's interview. So, if there is a sequel, these complaints may actually be addressed.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Well at least I did a short tour in Afganistan and it still hasnt came out! LOL

I guess I am lucky :-

But from what I read alot of reviews dont seem to know what they are reviewing. Like most games now a days.

If the 87% Gamestar Rating is from the German Gamestar, it is quite good.

Just to give you an idea:

They rated:

Dragon Age 92%

Splinter Cell: Conviction 90%

Mass Effect 2 88%

Mass Effect 85%

94% is the highest rating ever given and even that only twice (Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne and Crysis)

cya

Tycho