The Reviews

So according to yon internets, the first published review of AP has been released via the Spanish mag Playmania. Here's the (translated) summary:

* Graphics -> 80 - The exteriors are not so bad but the models and their animations are far from perfect.

* Sound -> 90 - Appropriate soundtrack.

* Diversity -> 89 - Even though it's the same game, there are many possibilities when it comes to customizing your character and deciding how to play.

* Duration -> 90 - The replayability factor is really high. You can play Alpha Protocol a lot of times without experiencing the same adventure.

* Overall -> 88 - A spy role playing game that succeeds in blending action with stealth and gives players a high degree of freedom in choosing how they want to proceed.

The Best parts of Alpha Protocol -> The freedom to choose how you want to acoplish your objectives and a great decision making system.

The Worst parts of Alpha Protocol -> Outdated graphics and basic AI.

Here's the thing - given that AP is not being pushed by a major publisher and it looks dated, I figure 88 is probably going to be the best we can hope for in reviews. The 90's are reserved for games deemed important by the press, and AP has not been deemed important.

Depends how much money the reviewers were bribed with.

At best this will be a cult game, like Deus Ex.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Here's the thing - given that AP is not being pushed by a major publisher and it looks dated, I figure 88 is probably going to be the best we can hope for in reviews. The 90's are reserved for games deemed important by the press, and AP has not been deemed important.

I pretty much agree. I'd expect low 80's, b/b+, 8/10 type scores.

It doesn't have the hype behind it to score the "best game evar" type of reviews.

I'm expecting personally to like it a lot. Graphics aren't much of a concern for me, although AI is always an important part of games such as this.

But the AI in DX was pretty poor, so it can't be worse than that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It will be interesting to compile the reviews and the ratings here. If you look at RPGs there is often an interesting discrepancy by territory, as well - French / German magazines are much more ready to point out the flaws in big name releases (though German ones then go on to like big German releases a lot), for instance.

Does anyone know about the Spanish game mags and how generous they are with ratings? I mean, the comments are all very positive - these days US mags would onlygive a score of 88 to a game that they'd feel has a very notable flaw. The score seems pretty good to me if they're anything like, say, US mags 10-15 years ago.

It will be interesting to compile the reviews and the ratings here. If you look at RPGs there is often an interesting discrepancy by territory, as well - French / German magazines are much more ready to point out the flaws in big name releases (though German ones then go on to like big German releases a lot), for instance.

Does anyone know about the Spanish game mags and how generous they are with ratings? I mean, the comments are all very positive - these days US mags would onlygive a score of 88 to a game that they'd feel has a very notable flaw. The score seems pretty good to me if they're anything like, say, US mags 10-15 years ago.

The Spanish are a forgiving people? :)

From what we've seen in previews and trailers the last few months, I expect to see scores around those.

I believe I will like the game a lot personally, though. :)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I wouldn't give much value to the mainstream American reviewers. They blatantly pander to the large studios and to games which already have a lot of hype.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's expected that they will talk about the dated graphics.

In all honesty though, I won't mind if all the "big name" review sites give AP an 8/10. This might mean that there's a greater chance that I would end up loving it. :) My tastes rarely align with the mainstream, and some of my favorite games got less than stellar scores/ or are practically unknown: Amber:Journeys Beyond, Sanitarium, Homeworld to name a few.

I also expect reviews to be in the 80s range generally, which I think I'll be pretty fine with. 88 is a good score. I believe there will occasionally be peaks up into the 90s but dips as well into the 70s, and maybe even lower in some reviews.

The flaws of the game are easily picked out and requires no in-depth analysis of the game, which are things reviewers love to bring out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think the graphics look pretty awesome & I'm primed to love this game. Do they judge it on whether your romance option has weird banana fingers? Or slow blinking? Or you can see in their mouths and see Tron looking back at you (ie. low res texture stuff)? Or like 'It was windy and his hair didn't blow in his face, -10 to immersion'.

i like this:

* Duration -> 90 - The replayability factor is really high. You can play Alpha Protocol a lot of times without experiencing the same adventure.

OP can you post the link to the source?

Not to anyplace that has scans, I don't think. Just google "first alpha protocol review" and you should hit some.

I can see this game going the way of the samurai...

Great game that influences many and loved by us fans....but the action is not smooth enough for the masses....still they might still by it unaware opening up a chance to make things perfect for a sequel.

i like this:

It's actually linked off the front page, so I dare say we're allowed to link these scans. Just click on the pics http://www.segabits.com/?p=1617

It's all in spanish though.

I'll post a review in about half an hour. Gotta buy the magazine first. What don't I do to satiate your curiosity you bums. :p:lol:
Well either every store I checked ran out of copies or the magazine's homepage was full of ****. Again.

Usually takes a few days for magazines to head out to newsagents. Subscribers will typically get it before them.
Yeah but subscribers have no need for announcements.

*sigh* Regardless, one of the comments was useful and said the mag comes out tomorrow.

i like this:

It's actually linked off the front page, so I dare say we're allowed to link these scans. Just click on the pics http://www.segabits.com/?p=1617

It's all in spanish though.

The reviewer complains mainly about the technical aspect of the game, and for him it's what had the most impact on the score. On the other hand, things like bad AI and what are potentially serious game balance issues (punching > shooting) are mentioned in passing only. He also seems to be utterly convinced that AP is essentially an action game "with a few touches of roleplaying" (what would Bloodlines be?) -- which may explain why C&C isn't understood to be the central game concept and doesn't seem to have been fully explored in the reviewing process.

It's also worth noting that the writing isn't mentioned once in the whole article... which leads me to believe that either the author is a total douche, or he just didn't play much further than the tutorial. I mean... is the writing good, bad, average? Can it carry the weight of the game? Are characters credible? Are the premises absurd? How clever are Mike's lines? No idea. But oh, look! I can blow up a tank with a rocket launcher!

This is why I never read mags.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.