Best preview yet of Alpha protocol

Nah, I didn't like this preview.

They were goofing around and laughing too much and just doing ridiculous stuff. The preview didn't get any atmosphere when they were joking and giggling all the time...

My personal opinion is that there are much better previews out there where they are looking at the game with a more serious and mature point of view.

It gives a pretty good look at the early game but it's sooo annoying to have to listen to these people, man.

The AI and enemy behavior is probably one of my bigger fears about the game at the moment. It sort of depends whether the game will feel like it really *needs* better AI, the game is still rather "arcade-y" in some ways. The Metal Gear games have pretty damn wonky AI in some places but in those games it almost makes it more fun to play.

Regardless, there's some really weird behavior in this vid that I wish weren't there. But the action itself looks like a lot of fun I think.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Ugh, there it is, texture popping. Couldn't have a UE3 game without texture popping?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The guy sucked balls, that's all I can say for the gameplay for those vids, some of the commentary was somewhat funny to listen to.

And who knows with that AI, maybe it's like MGS4 character AI, on easy they are retards and on Hard they are complete bad-asses.

But like they said from the video this is a pre-alpha build of the game so there are bugs to be had in it, the good thing is that with previews that are like this the devs can look at the bugs and hopefully fix them by the launch date for the game.

It's not a pre-alpha (do you really know how old the build would be for being a pre-alpha? :thumbsup: ), most probably a late beta preview build. There will be maybe a little bit more bug fixing and polishing before the preview (though the game has already gone so it's not like they're working on it now, except for maybe patches or DLCs) but don't expect any dramatic change.. to the AI too, sadly.

Then again, the game looked surprisingly challenging even with the stupid AI, though it may simply be because the guy took the shotgun instead of the assault rifle and was distracted too.

Yeah he said he had a stealthy build and didn't do much sneaking around, including booting a couple doors open instead of lock picking. I've seen a couple short clips of jumping, climbing ladders etc. but it was nice to see it in a more extended play. It looks pretty smoov.

Freelancer sounds lind of interesting from what they were saying. Although the special op build or whatever it's called with kung-fu, stealth & pistol is probably what I'll start with. Sneaking in with Kung-Fu looks totally fun :D

Whatever build I end up with for my 1st play though, I'm totally rocking the lumberjack beard, especially for the romance sequences! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to join the club of people saying that the commentators were annoying/ intrusive/ and ruined the atmosphere.

Granted, a few of the quips were funny, but they went too far and most of it was just all the most annoying aspects of nerding out. :x

Seriously, is this the kind of personality to expect among the typical game journalist? No wonder...

They were goofing around and laughing too much and just doing ridiculous stuff. The preview didn't get any atmosphere when they were joking and giggling all the time...

My personal opinion is that there are much better previews out there where they are looking at the game with a more serious and mature point of view.

They wanted to be fun and were ridiculous.

They wanted to be fun and were ridiculous.

For some reason, that video just plain ticked me off. I used to think girls into video games were cool, but the girl in that video makes me want to strangle something (and I'm not talking about my chicken). :x

Ugh, there it is, texture popping. Couldn't have a UE3 game without texture popping?

If it ever happens I doubt it will be by Obsidian's hands. I don't really want to knock them down, but technical optimization just isn't their forte.

To be fair, it is a problem with just about every ue3 game out there, and much like the antialiasing issues the blame lies pretty definitively at the feet of the engine developers rather than any 3rd party using it.

Edited by Zoraptor

i am with just about everyone here the review stank and that guy couldnt play to save his life!!!
That actually begs the question... how representative is he of the general public's gaming skills at large?

=/

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

i am with just about everyone here the review stank and that guy couldnt play to save his life!!!
That actually begs the question... how representative is he of the general public's gaming skills at large?

=/

speak for yourself

Nah, I'd rather speak for everyone else here.

Speak for everyone else that isn't me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif