Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Don't make me link to Leliana's song, bro.

Leliana's song is the textbook example on how you shouldn't do cutscenes.

But honestly, during normal conversation the facial animations were almost always very good, and felt pretty natural.

There's always the problem that they may look better/worse depending on the face, and Leliana's face is honestly one that suffers a lot. It's like her face model and her facial animations are fighting a continuous war, seriously.

By the way things you've probably already noticed by the gameplay teaser/trailer from IGN :

- the Pipboy interface remains largely the same, with DR and DT shown within the same space (when the guy opened his pipboy it show Damage Threshold, then, after installing the Minigun mod, Damage Resistance.. I wonder if it's an intermittent thing or if we chose what statistic we'll see);

- an icon showing what skill is used for the weapon you're selecting is present at the left of the Pipboy image;

- on the right, just a little higher than the weapon's value, we can see the STR requirement which is apparently 3 for the Grenade Machinegun (according to Sawyer it was a bug by the way);

- the Damage Threshold is either 5 , 7 or 5.7. I'm not sure if the engine supports damage fraction, so I'm going with the first, hinting that there are indeed different damage types.

grenade machinegun, huh?

What about an rpg pistol? No?

Flamethrower minigun? No?

hmmm. Surely we can make this game even more munchkin friendly.

Oh, right. Orbital laser platform. Check.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

grenade machinegun, huh?

What about an rpg pistol? No?

Flamethrower minigun? No?

hmmm. Surely we can make this game even more munchkin friendly.

Oh, right. Orbital laser platform. Check.

Well grenade machine guns are real. Not sure though if they are safe to use without a tripod. They ain't even very heavy, the one Finnish army uses weighs something like 20 to 30 kilograms.

Hate the living, love the dead.

dull butter knife

Knife?

Please. Anyone who can't save the world with a spoon should stick to Tetris.

Well grenade machine guns are real. Not sure though if they are safe to use without a tripod. They ain't even very heavy, the one Finnish army uses weighs something like 20 to 30 kilograms.

It's not a matter of realism though. Just that it sounds kind of like NV is getting more guns just to have MOAR GUNZ, if you get what I mean. FO3 already had enough guns and probably half that list could be cut without noticeably affecting gameplay options.

Like I said before, I think most of what we've heard about NV is solid.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's not a matter of realism though. Just that it sounds kind of like NV is getting more guns just to have MOAR GUNZ, if you get what I mean. FO3 already had enough guns and probably half that list could be cut without noticeably affecting gameplay options.

Sawyer made it very clear that he wants every combat build to be viable. In Fallout 3 vanilla some combat builds were greatly penalized compared to others (of course, by level 10, you'd have almost every combat skill up to at least 50, so it wasn't really a problem anymore, but it seems like they're working on this problem too), so MOAR GUNZ is more of a 'there will be various strategic choices, and situational weapons for every character build' to me.

Also, when it comes to preview and such, guns are obviously a bigger attraction than some tweaks to stealth or 'look, we have better quest design!'.

so MOAR GUNZ is more of a 'there will be various strategic choices, and situational weapons for every character build' to me.

If every gun, or even just most of them, give a viable tactical option that differs from the others, then that's a big step forward from FO3 and that'll be great.

Also, when it comes to preview and such, guns are obviously a bigger attraction than some tweaks to stealth or 'look, we have better quest design!'.

Yep, I agree totally, but I also think it's extremely unfortunate that such is the case, so I reserve the right to voice my objections as needed. >_<

"MOAR GUNZ"

...So? >_<

I'm sure you realize that it's not only about the gameplay options. If it was, considering we now have weapon mods and different ammo types for further customization, one pistol, one rifle, one energy weapon etc. would be more than enough. Let's say.... 5-6 weapons total, customize them to fit your needs, and you're good to go.

But let's not forget it's a computer game, after all. And that it's an FPS, as well as an RPG.

Personally, I can (and will) buy the game simply because it's a Fallout game developed by original Fallout developers, or because it has great dialogue and C&C. Most people won't. Most people (customers) want moar new stuff to justify their purchase of a new Fallout 3 (and this is probably their pov). This is why we'll have moar gunz in NV.

Even I want some new stuff in the game. Especially energy weapons. Is that wrong?

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

It got more weapons to give more tactical options to the player. In the video, I hope you noticed that the minigun was more effective at dealing with individual targets than the GMG. That's by design.

Even I want some new stuff in the game. Especially energy weapons. Is that wrong?

How many energy weapons does one need? Is that a different one for each day of the week? A variety of designer colors? >_<

I mean, I can see low power, medium power and high power iterations for the sake of game balance, but FO3 all ready had more than that. What else are you looking for from energy weapons?

It got more weapons to give more tactical options to the player. In the video, I hope you noticed that the minigun was more effective at dealing with individual targets than the GMG. That's by design.

Truth be told, I'm actually a little unclear on this whole concept, in light of the merging of Big Guns/Small Guns.

The argument could certainly be made that such was a problem in FO3: a small gun specialized charaacter had no way of doing AoE attacks and that their options of dealing with multiple targets at close range were limited. COnversely, in FO3, a Big Guns specialized character had few options when dealing with single targets at medium or long ranges or with multiple ttargets at medium range. (Of course with the vast number of skill points available it ewas easy to be good in everything, but ignore that for the moment).

However, you've effectively eliminated this problem by combining small guns and big guns, since now a charcter can switch from the sniper rifle to the rocket launcher to the minigun to the magnum without penalty, all on one skill. There would in fact seem to be less need for a variety of weapons in NV since one skill now covers more bases.

How many energy weapons does one need? Is that a different one for each day of the week? A variety of designer colors? :)

I mean, I can see low power, medium power and high power iterations for the sake of game balance, but FO3 all ready had more than that. What else are you looking for from energy weapons?

>_<

What I mean is, when (if) I invest in the energy weapons skill, I'll be using A) Plasma Rifle and B) Laser Rifle, if they're the only ones available (of course, I'll completely ignore pistols once rifles are available, this is inevitable). When I do this for a big portion of the game, I'll eventually get bored. Like I said, it's a computer game, it's sole reason for existence is to entertain. I'm talking about variety not just for balance's sake, but also for variety's sake. My point was that just because we can finish the game with a much less number of weapons, it doesn't mean we should have to. ;)

Not a new weapon for everyday, but come on...

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor