Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

For VATS, please make the slow-motion death sequences optional. Frankly... in Fallout 3, they were ridiculously over-the-top, and not in a clever way. In Fallout 1&2, when you made a critical hit, a 10mm round in the torso made half the rib cage explode, or a plasma slug melted the flesh from the bone... and it all happened within a half-second, making it more surprising, and in a comical fashion, to boot. Whereas in Fallout 3, every attack granted a slo-mo sequence, which got quite old quite fast. Even if slo-mo deaths are implemented, could they at least occur only during critical hits?

For VATS, please make the slow-motion death sequences optional. Frankly... in Fallout 3, they were ridiculously over-the-top, and not in a clever way. In Fallout 1&2, when you made a critical hit, a 10mm round in the torso made half the rib cage explode, or a plasma slug melted the flesh from the bone... and it all happened within a half-second, making it more surprising, and in a comical fashion, to boot. Whereas in Fallout 3, every attack granted a slo-mo sequence, which got quite old quite fast. Even if slo-mo deaths are implemented, could they at least occur only during critical hits?

I may be wrong but I believe I read that it was made optional.

Of course I may be confusing this with the 'kill-cam'.

New Subject - Bullet Impact and Immersion

This may not be a big deal for some people, but i hought I'd raise it anyway.

The effects of a bullet striking and killing a target appear to be based on damage done, not the class of weapon. Immersion wise what this means is that my lvl 24 character routinely shoots and kills bears with a sniper rifle, and the bear carcase goes flying straight up in the air like the hat of a patriotic fellow on victory day. Even pistols can achieve this sort of thing on a critical.

Wouldn't it make more sense, computationally, and rationally, to have the impact determined with reference to a lookup table? Still have it semi-random, for amusement's sake, but more constrained.

In F3 that was actually the result of a bad ragdoll constraint on the yao guai. A couple of other creatures had similar problems, I believe. But anyway, I think the ragdoll was causing creatures like yao guai to go shooting off into the sky sometimes even from mundane deaths.

The effects of a bullet striking and killing a target appear to be based on damage done, not the class of weapon. Immersion wise what this means is that my lvl 24 character routinely shoots and kills bears with a sniper rifle, and the bear carcase goes flying straight up in the air like the hat of a patriotic fellow on victory day. Even pistols can achieve this sort of thing on a critical.

Wouldn't it make more sense, computationally, and rationally, to have the impact determined with reference to a lookup table? Still have it semi-random, for amusement's sake, but more constrained.

In F3 that was actually the result of a bad ragdoll constraint on the yao guai. A couple of other creatures had similar problems, I believe. But anyway, I think the ragdoll was causing creatures like yao guai to go shooting off into the sky sometimes even from mundane deaths.

Are you sneakily implying this won't happen in New Vegas?

Did the same sort of thing affect the Protectrons? Its was always a bit unsettling the way pieces of them would bounce all around, including way up into the sky, before settling to the ground. This seemed to happen a lot when a new area loaded.

I remember once killing the super mutant master with the rocket launcher who is stationed in that unreachable balcony in Georgetown. His body went flying so high that I lost sight of it and was unable to find it. IIRC, and this seems totally weird so maybe not, I seemed to stumble across his body in an entire other map, Pennsylvania Ave, lying by the subway entrance. Is that even possible? Maybe it was another body from when the Brotherhood dudes blew up the bus.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Did the same sort of thing affect the Protectrons? Its was always a bit unsettling the way pieces of them would bounce all around, including way up into the sky, before settling to the ground. This seemed to happen a lot when a new area loaded.

I remember once killing the super mutant master with the rocket launcher who is stationed in that unreachable balcony in Georgetown. His body went flying so high that I lost sight of it and was unable to find it. IIRC, and this seems totally weird so maybe not, I seemed to stumble across his body in an entire other map, Pennsylvania Ave, lying by the subway entrance. Is that even possible? Maybe it was another body from when the Brotherhood dudes blew up the bus.

I used to quicksave the game whenever a protectron ragdoll started acting weird, quickload over and over again, and every time it went higher and higher. It was hilarious, but gets old pretty quickly.

As for the super mutant, I have no idea how you managed to do that. They're so heavy even the nastiest explosions took their feet barely off the ground in my case. Yours must have been a rare bug or something.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

I'm pretty sure the super mutant getting blown to the next town is awesomeness. We should recreate the story of the three little pigs using the game engine.

:):lol:

*starts looking for mini-nukes & bottlecap mines under the bed*

edit: 40 mines and 1 old man

It works. Even with the measly frag mines.

Edited by Nemo0071

That protectron thing really annoyed me as I was going to show Big Town how to repair robots for their defense, but the damaged bots I was supposed to repair actually went flying into the air - I never did find where they went. :)

Later wave after wave of ants killed the protectron outside of Megaton and I walked outside once and off it went flying. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thanks for the clarification on the ragdoll issue. I guess that makes sense.

Actually this conversation reminded me. I shot an enclave trooper off a bridge and (probably due to the angle) he went flying miles up in the air. I spent five minutes nervously checking the sky in case he fell on me. :shifty:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thanks for the clarification on the ragdoll issue. I guess that makes sense.

Actually this conversation reminded me. I shot an enclave trooper off a bridge and (probably due to the angle) he went flying miles up in the air. I spent five minutes nervously checking the sky in case he fell on me. :ermm:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hi, I read that I should post suggestions for Fallout: New Vegas here; So I will.(Sorry if I am posting stuff that has been revealed to be in the game, I deliberately try to avoid new information about the game because I know I am getting it.)

-Traits

-see the details of an item

-An option which will make attacks/reloading in real time combat consume AP, V.A.T.S. feels like a special power to me since you can use it and be able to attack normally

-Ability to melee with guns(or a melee button which switches you to a melee weapon)The ability to be able to have throwing weapons would be nice(throw a knife, spear, retrieve it, nail some dude to a wall) Akimbo pistols would be nice too

-Characters with long hair

-fall damage ability to trip/push someone with a high unarmed/stealth skill.

-Go prone.

-Crossbow/bow and arrow, being able to attach dynamite to the bow/bolt would be cool.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

Sorry, I'm typing this on a PS3 and theres a limit as to how much I can have on the screen at the time: in any case, here's the last one.

-Some skills affect how effectively you can use a certain weapons, for example at a lower weapons skill a knife would be much more effective to use than a sledgehammer, even if you find the sledgehammer first, or a pistol versus a revolver or a flamethrower, I think it would be funny if you ended up breaking your own knee or falling over due to weight of the sledgehammer, or breaking your wrist or the gun flying off your hand because you did not know how to fire a revolver properly, also slower reload times, recoil, repair ability ect.

Um, is there a technical term for when your dude switches weapons? the lower your skill the longer it takes(I'd be cool if your crosshair dissapeared if you tried to use a plasma rifle at 20 energy weapons or something,) Being able to cook grenades would be nice too.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

oh man, can you imagine the fallout 3 fan reaction to the return of critical failures on attacks....

it would be awesome.

"what do you MEAN i just lost all my ammo.... how the hell does that even happen!!!1!!"

"how did i just HIT MYSELF with my sledgehammer?!?!?"

i love critical failures/misses etc, but imo they really only belong in turn based games. so if fallout is ever allowed a proper sequel then im sure critical misses would return

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

-Characters with long hair

I wondered about that too, since the Button Gwinnett wig essentially seemed to show the engine could do ponytails for example.

While short hair for men and women were "in" in the 50s, it seemed odd to leave out the ubiquitous ponytail (could have used some poodle skirts too but that's neither here nor there... :ermm:)

oh man, can you imagine the fallout 3 fan reaction to the return of critical failures on attacks....

it would be awesome.

"what do you MEAN i just lost all my ammo.... how the hell does that even happen!!!1!!"

i love critical failures/misses etc, but imo they really only belong in turn based games. so if fallout is ever allowed a proper sequel then im sure critical misses would return

I dunno, I could see critical failure doing damage to the weapon as viable in an action game ("not only did you miss with the sledgehammer, slamming it into the ground damaged it"; "your gun jammed!" etc.) but I don't think its something I feel strongly should be there (and probably not really something worth the time to add it, IMO).

I don't know about that. I think FO:NV will be a proper enough sequel and I loved critical failures as well. "Jinxed", anyone? o:)

But yeah, the "fan" reaction would be quite awesome. Quite awesome indeed.

edit:

@ Irrelevant

Some of your ideas are pretty good, but I think most of them are not "compatible" with the game (FO3). Like long hair (hair always acted "weird" in FO3, especially with sunglasses and/or headgear; and long hair would mean actual "hair" animation making things even more complicated) or going prone (there was only crouching in FO3 and even that wasn't exactly "crouching"; it doubled as stealth mode and you couldn't go through narrow spaces, etc.).

But most of them, I'd like to see in the game myself. Especially "cooking" grenades and pushing people from high places would be pretty cool.

In V.A.T.S., grenades simply "hit the spot". When you throw manually, by the time it explodes the super mutant is already beating me to a pulp with a super sledge... :ermm:

Edited by Nemo0071

it would be awesome.

I think the majority of the fans wouldn't care. The Gamefaqs & Bethsoft kiddies you seem to be referring to, are hardly representative of Fallout 3's fanbase. The bulk of its fanbase doesn't while away its time on game forums, but just enjoys the game for what it is, and moves on.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

oh sorry i didnt realize that you knew what all the silent fans were thinking

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

-fall damage ability to trip/push someone with a high unarmed/stealth skill.
Yes. YES. It was awesome fun to kick reborn in the face and send them plumetting to their death in JK2... a Q3A-powered game from 2002. It's ridiculous that this isn't a viable strategy in action games anymore.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.