My Nostalgia/Sentimentality: Embrace it or abandon it?

I'm really excited for Obsidian since this is their own IP, which means that they had a lot more freedom, and I can't wait to see what they did with that freedom.

However, the one thing that's driving my excitement is my fond memories of Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and Fallout. I saw a glimpse of "the old days" in the excellent writing of Mask of the Betrayer, and that warmed my heart. Will there be any references (even cleverly veiled ones) to those classic games in Alpha Protocol ? Will I be setting myself up for disappointment by thinking about the past when it comes to Alpha Protocol?

Things you might see carry over are good writing and choices (likely more choices in this game, we'll see how much they affect things).

But I mean, first off the setting is way different than those games. Even though it's a bit "over-the-top spy movie", this obviously won't be as fantastic as something like Mask of the Betrayer. Secondly, the gameplay is very much an action-RPG and this includes the dialogue system as well.

Going into the game simply based on feelings of nostalgia for the good ol' days will leave you disappointed.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Things you might see carry over are good writing and choices (likely more choices in this game, we'll see how much they affect things).

But I mean, first off the setting is way different than those games. Even though it's a bit "over-the-top spy movie", this obviously won't be as fantastic as something like Mask of the Betrayer. Secondly, the gameplay is very much an action-RPG and this includes the dialogue system as well.

Going into the game simply based on feelings of nostalgia for the good ol' days will leave you disappointed.

I hope the overall genuine funny/ dark/ sad tones they seem to be able to pull off in their games will come through. There's a gravity in the writing that Obsidian's writers hit that endlessly draws me to their titles.

Some of my favorite writing in general is using seemingly mundane tropes and genres, feeding you more of the same, and then cork screwing it on it's head. Of course I don't know any more about AP than any one else waiting to play (probably I know less actually) but seeing how Obsidian's done things in the past I'd put my $$$ on there's going to be some big Oh **it! cards being played through the game.

I hope the overall genuine funny/ dark/ sad tones they seem to be able to pull off in their games will come through. There's a gravity in the writing that Obsidian's writers hit that endlessly draws me to their titles.

Some of my favorite writing in general is using seemingly mundane tropes and genres, feeding you more of the same, and then cork screwing it on it's head. Of course I don't know any more about AP than any one else waiting to play (probably I know less actually) but seeing how Obsidian's done things in the past I'd put my $$$ on there's going to be some big Oh **it! cards being played through the game.

Well, those are the main things I'm interested in. Writing, and atmosphere/tone.

Based on that infamous "choices" video, I think that the choices you make in AP will have genuine consequences on the story, so I'm not so worried about that.

But Obsidian has a track record of excellent writing. Quite frankly, it's inexplicable to me that David Gaider got a novel published before Chris Avellone (where's the novel, Chris ? You know you want to do it... :sorcerer: )

I certainly agree that there is a "gravity" to Obsidian's writing that draws you in. The precarious balance required to tastefully mix humor among the bleak settings found in Torment and Fallout also hit the right spots for me as a reader.

Atmosphere is also something that was very well done in those old games, and MoTB also had great ambience and mood. Even Icewind Dale, especially places like the haunted Severed Hand, painted a very rich, palpable sense of atmosphere in the player's mind.

So if writing, and atmosphere are well served in Alpha Protocol, then that will suffice for my nostalgia.

Edited by poetic obsidian

I was about to post something similiar, not concerning the direct references to past games, but rather the quality of storytelling prevalent in their prior titles. I don't just mean Obsidian's titles, sorry, but some of the titles that Chris Avellone has worked on, such as Vampire The Masquerade (I thought he worked on that anyway). The intelligence sparkled in that title. I want something that draws me in and captivates me, I hope AP can do that.

How embarrassing, after some quick research you're correct. Sorry 'bout that! I heard about Mitsoda's personal touch, but how much of his creativity remains intact after all those revisions is a mystery to me.

Edited by Mirage

How embarrassing, after some quick research you're correct. Sorry 'bout that! I heard about Mitsoda's personal touch, but how much of his creativity remains intact after all those revisions is a mystery to me.

No need to be embarassed, for I'm glad you brought up VTM:Bloodlines (RIP Troika :sorcerer:)

That's another game that really drew you in with the unique atmosphere and the quality of the writing. I don't know man, people with my tastes seem to be considered fossils and old hats (although I'm only 24 !). We do take games seriously and if the quality is deserving of it, I will let myself be moved by a game.

That's why I'm banking on Obsidian and AP to see if I should keep up hope or whether I should just go back to replaying my old favorites/look to European / indie developers.

No need to be embarassed, for I'm glad you brought up VTM:Bloodlines (RIP Troika :sorcerer:)

That's another game that really drew you in with the unique atmosphere and the quality of the writing. I don't know man, people with my tastes seem to be considered fossils and old hats (although I'm only 24 !). We do take games seriously and if the quality is deserving of it, I will let myself be moved by a game.

That's why I'm banking on Obsidian and AP to see if I should keep up hope or whether I should just go back to replaying my old favorites/look to European / indie developers.

Yes, Troika was amazing! OT: If you're looking for a good indie developer look up Double Bear Studios, with Brian Mitsoda as (I think) one of the co-founders.

I'm also banking on AP, (and FO: NV) and I will support Obsidian by purchasing AP, hopefully it isn't a letdown. Story/Atmosphere are things I take very seriously in games, that's just my preferance. If AP doesn't have that, I'll move on. But with Obsidian's great offering in the form of Mask of the Betrayer, I still think they are capable of creative games, and AP is less restrictive because Obsidian owns the IP. Here's to hoping!

Edited by Mirage

Just remember that Alpha Protocol fits perfectly the spy genre tropes, and from what we have seen from the videos, it looks like the plot could have taken straight from a 24 season.

The execution seemed pretty good from what I've seen so far and the character varied enough, though I want to see/hear all this in context (meaning : after I've played a bit of the game) before giving any impression.

Sorry, no Avellone Touch in Bloodlines.

Brian Mitsoda (one of Bloodlines' writers) OTOH did create some characters of Alpha Protocol.

Yeah, wasn't the Mitsoda/Carlson AP writing basically scrapped when the game was reinvented from "Syriana" to B

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Brian Mitsoda (one of Bloodlines' writers) OTOH did create some characters of Alpha Protocol.

Yeah, wasn't the Mitsoda/Carlson AP writing basically scrapped when the game was reinvented from "Syriana" to B

Edited by Mirage