2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

To be honest I haven't seen Netherlands playing to injure.

There were some bad fouls yeah, but you're greatly exaggerating it Fallen_Ghost.

Am I exagerating? The Netherlands had twice as many cards and about 50%(9) more fouls than Spain. I don't know about you but that is a very large difference in fouls. While I wouldn't say Spain was peaceful I think they only did as much as was needed to keep the Netherlands from getting to cripple every last one of them.

To be honest I haven't seen Netherlands playing to injure.

There were some bad fouls yeah, but you're greatly exaggerating it Fallen_Ghost.

Am I exagerating? The Netherlands had twice as many cards and about 50%(9) more fouls than Spain. I don't know about you but that is a very large difference in fouls. While I wouldn't say Spain was peaceful I think they only did as much as was needed to keep the Netherlands from getting to cripple every last one of them.

That's only because major fouls by the Spanish on players like Sneijder that should have gotten cards didn't. Apparently the ref thought he was hit by a bird or something. And let's not forget undeserved yellows (Iniesta will probably win some swimming competitions with the way takes a dive) when the Netherlands took the ball in fair duels, and yellows for disagreeing with the ref (Matthijsen). Where's the violence in that? Statistics aside, anyone who actually watched the match will know that you are exaggerating.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I saw a first half filled with dives from both teams. I also saw Robben miss two break-aways, Robben getting a yellow card for shouting at the ref and Spain scoring a suspicious goal.

All in all a pretty disappointing final game, but congratulations Spain.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not the best final I have ever seen (nor the biggest understatement I have ever made, though it comes close), but I am glad Spain won in the end. I've been supporting them for as long as I can remember. Don't ask why, the reasons would be hypocritical anyways. I guess I am just drawn to perennial underachievers. Not sure what I am going to do now that they no longer deserve that title. At any rate, this team didn't always show it, but they certainly had amazing amount of individual skill in their ranks. And I think they deserve this.

Forlan won the Golden Ball for best player of the tournament. Personally I might have given it to Casillas, but I can't really disagree with that decision either. Forlan was the heart and soul of Uruguay's offence, and pretty much single-handedly (no Suarez jokes, please) carried the team to semi-finals.

Edited by Balthamael

Forlan won the Golden Ball for best player of the tournament. Personally I might have given it to Casillas, but I can't really disagree with that decision either. Forlan was the heart and soul of Uruguay's offence, and pretty much single-handedly (no Suarez jokes, please) carried the team to semi-finals.

Cheers to Diego Forlan! Well deserved! Despite my dislike of how his team advanced, Diego Forlan was simply the best player this tournament.

Still hate that squid, though, so I'mma plug my own artwork again.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH_by_TrueNeutral187.jpg

Edited by TrueNeutral

I looked at Spain's goal again. There was no offside on first pass(see picture and explanation below). The second pass after Spain got the ball back wasn't offside so that was clean.

There was no mistake by the referees.

Edited by Fallen Ghost

Knew the refereeing would be awful when they chose an Englishman - and an EPL one to boot. Pah. Also, lovely to see Iniesta dive as he did. High comedy to call the Dutch play rough, other than De Jong's high boot, most of the fouls are pretty common other than the typical Spanish overacting.

I do love how Puyol and Xavi waved the Catalan flag after their win. :sorcerer:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There was NO offside from Spain when the goal was scored:

and ultimate proof of no offside:

hva3h4.jpg

29z22ie.jpg

You see the last defender moving back away from the keeper looking for the ball.

The ball is half way to the attacker who is running full speed towards goal and is barely one step past the last defender when the ball is half way to him already.

That's the best screenshot I could take but the moment that the ball was kicked to the attacker he wasn't yet past the last defender. It all happens in a split second so it only LOOKS like an offside but there was none.

THIS is why we are FANS and NOT REFEREES. Because we jump to call them wrong when we're the ones who are clueless.

Edited by Fallen Ghost

Dull final, but most finals are dull. The better team won, but with no small help from a truly awful referee.

The goal itself wasn't offside - when Fabregas played the ball Iniesta was clearly on. It's actually a bit clearer than FG's picture, which is at an angle that privileges the offside view. Nevertheless, 'three yellow cards' Webb ruined it - yellows when it should be nothing, nothing when it should be yellow, a nonsensical red out of nowhere, etc. It seemed like he came in with a mission to crack down on dirty play; he did so on the Dutch, who *were* dirty early on, but then decided the Dutch are the bastard children of Satan and had to be stopped by every means possible. The WC final needed a ref who was less prima donna 'I'm famous mama I'm gonna do this' and more level-headedness.

Thought the Dutch did all they could given their clear inferiority in terms of player quality, if they could have stopped themselves from becoming so frustrated with the ref and if they could have knocked in one of their chances it would have been different. Certainly they had a better plan to stop Spain than Germany. Nevertheless, Spain probably deserves this, well done to the champions. Good to see Del Bosque pull out some reasonable tactical decisions, as well.

Dull final, but most finals are dull. The better team won, but with no small help from a truly awful referee.

The goal itself wasn't offside - when Fabregas played the ball Iniesta was clearly on. It's actually a bit clearer than FG's picture, which is at an angle that privileges the offside view. Nevertheless, 'three yellow cards' Webb ruined it - yellows when it should be nothing, nothing when it should be yellow, a nonsensical red out of nowhere, etc. It seemed like he came in with a mission to crack down on dirty play; he did so on the Dutch, who *were* dirty early on, but then decided the Dutch are the bastard children of Satan and had to be stopped by every means possible. The WC final needed a ref who was less prima donna 'I'm famous mama I'm gonna do this' and more level-headedness.

There was NO offside period:

hva3h4.jpg

The picture isn't ideal but you can tell the ball is in the air and that Iniesta is BEHIND the last defender.

Edited by Fallen Ghost

The nearly unanimous consensus there was an offside when there wasn't makes me wonder how many other split second actions did nearly everyone fail to observe and are now using their mistakes to blame the referees. As far as I can tell the referees did a great job doing what they were paid to do.....being professionals that correctly call plays so fast that they are missed by 99% of the people watching the match.

The offside was in the previous play, if that's what it was, not in the final pass.

That IS the previous play(the one that ends up intercepted by Netherlands defender) NOT the final pass for goal.

This is the pass for goal:

21r7mx.jpg

There was NO offside at all from Spain when they scored.

Edited by Fallen Ghost