2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Felt kinda bad for the NK team in this match, they started off pretty damn well but weren't able to actually score.

There were a lot of mistakes from both teams, and yeah, I'd say the rain affected things quite a lot. Not sure in the goal situations but overall.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Watched Brazil vs Cote d'Ivoire (3-1) yesterday. I thought there was something distinctly fishy about the referee. I think there's a definite case for preventing him working at this level again. In general he blew up for the strangest reasons and at very odd times. Then of course there was Brazil's second goal as a result of two consecutive hand balls. This basically put Ivory so far on the back foot that it was a miracle they scored at all. Then he sent Kaka off for an incident he could only have seen out of the corner of his eye, as it happened off the ball. Something I think he only did so as to distract from the handball incident.

Yeah. The refereeing on this world cup is horrible. I don't know why they refuse to study the slow motion stuff before they make their decision. It would save from much embarrassment.

The problem there, as I'm sure you know, is that it would make everything bloody slow. eventually it would almost grind to a halt every time there was an incident.

What I think is that the governing body should have the power to impose penalties after a match for unseen offences, and obvious dives. I don't see what real harm that could do.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

North Korea obviously didn't study Portugal tactics and mentality as they should. Portugal generally fares better against more open, attacking teams, than teams that close down and play ugly football. Frustration and limited strikers are generally Portugal's two big flaws, and North Korea proceeded to ignore them. Looking at how Portugal were performing before the first goal, North Korea might have stolen a point if they had been less adventurous.

Still, kudos to the Koreans who kept running like madmen even when down by five goals. Also, it's been two years since last I saw Portugal producing this sort of silky moves. Feels nice even if against much weaker opposition.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Looks like this time Spain nailed it.

Of course, the match still isn't finished, but they're dominating so far (I must admit, I didn't see all of the first half though).

Dont worry, they need win Chile to pass and doubt they do it, this isnt the same team who won the Euro, as said Luis, this time didnt play to win they only think in their holidays :bat:

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

Does anyone in NK even watch the WC? I bet their propaganda machine twists every match into a NK victory... but this time they're going to have a bit of a hard time with that. :bat:

Well, I would prefer that's the case, but no, North Korea TV viewers see World Cup loss live.

I'm actually fearing for the safety of the North Korean team once they return home. Such a devastating defeat after being given guidance by the great Dear Leader via invisible cellphone will sure make the Dear Leader turn red.

North Korea obviously didn't study Portugal tactics and mentality as they should. Portugal generally fares better against more open, attacking teams, than teams that close down and play ugly football. Frustration and limited strikers are generally Portugal's two big flaws, and North Korea proceeded to ignore them. Looking at how Portugal were performing before the first goal, North Korea might have stolen a point if they had been less adventurous.

Exactly, that was the difference in 2002 - Hiddink knew this and got the South Koreans to harass all over the pitch for 90 minutes.

Spain looked fine to me- of course they should have scored a few more but I didn't see a big worry here, as long as they get better. I think Del Bosque needs to work out the balance in the attack, though, fastish - even with two anchormen behind him Xavi was way too conservative and fluffed the ball around with weak square passes rather than taking a risk in a through ball or a shot, and he was one of the main reasons Spain didn' t create anything till Villa took it into his own hands. Fabregas did much better when he came on, though then the entire team went on holiday for obvious reasons and that was that. Mata also did well - don't know what Torres was doing all night, though.

I think I'm going to cheer for NZ. There will be no end to the humiliation of my Aussie colleagues if the Kiwis get that particular "bragging right" of going through to the next round (yes, I'm an evil person) :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think the big difference in 2002 was that SK bribed half the referees. Just look at their matches against Italy & Spain.

God, that was painful.

Granted, the press overexaggerated it and made it look like Italy was a glorious team stopped by an evil referee (while in reality, the 2002's team was mediocre at best), but still... grrr.

I feel sorry for the referee in France V S.A. Honestly, I thought it was the bicycle-kick to the head too.

It's not as if France can really complain about dodgy referee's decisions, really, is it?

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think the big difference in 2002 was that SK bribed half the referees. Just look at their matches against Italy & Spain.

I like how a few people insist on saying this year after year - go back and actually watch those games and I wonder if you'll say the same. I've been actually watching them as part of my research and well... the Italians weren't really robbed, Totti did dive and Vieri got away with elbows, etc. The ref was harsh on them for some decisions, sure, but nothing more than what Manchester United get from the refs every week in the Premier League. The Spanish should definitely have won the quarter-finals, I agree, but one game robbed by the ref? Man, doesn't that happen every World Cup (i.e. 2006, Australia).

I think in a lot of cases (not you necessarily, but in general) there's also a bit of implicit racism going on where it's a lot easier to think Asians bribed the ref. Take away the crap and look at just the games, and there's not a huge jump between the 'home advantage' SK received in those two games and the biased refereeing that we see almost every week somewhere in Europe. :ermm:

The telling bit was how the foreign press at the time was actually evenly split between those who thought there was dodgy stuff going on, and those who thought the Italians were a bunch of crybabies for whining so much. I think it was more universally agreed the Spanish had a case.

Aaaaanyway. I'm sure some people will never see eye to eye with me on that. Let's see if SK can make it to the knockout round away from home.

Well there you go, SK go through. I thought they did quite well, but again some very poor defending gave it all back to the Nigerians for a 2-2. I don't think there's enough quality amongst the centre-backs in particular, and in the round of 16 Forlan will likely punish them for it.

Greeks did a pretty good job at stopping Messi, although he's amazingly good, just like Ronaldo, he's based around trickery and dribbling, and can be stopped.

No Virumor, Spain had players to score 3-4 goals to a team like Korea, true the referee quit us 2 legal goals, but if they wouldnt be so tired (long league and very bad fitness in some of the Primera Divisi

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

I don't mind admitting England is pretty nervous about Slovenia round about now.

What makes it worse is that even if we do beat them we still won't really deserve progression. Bunch of holf-gokked hoofers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.